Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 10:01 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Before you get your hopes up, make sure that the lots are actually able to be built on. My parents bought two lots in the 1970's. One turned out fine as it was adjacent to a lake and they sold it to a friend who planned to build. The other was a lot that could not be built on. They sold that one to a guy who wanted to own property at FFG.

Do realize that there is a crazy guy in FFG who is sending out e-mails threatening to boycott Tennessee and the like. He has been spamming me for years but at least he is not calling my father morning noon and night anymore.

================================

Personally, I will be heading down to Knoxville and Oak Ridge in September to get the lay of the land. It has been a good while since I have been there. My wife has a lot of friends who are recommending Knoxville. Personally, I would prefer Cookeville, Murfreesboro. or the fringes of Nashville over Eastern Tennessee but I can change my mind.
If you had read the post where I inserted the Google image of the lot you would realize that it can be built on. There is a house on the lot next to it and one two lots away in the other direction. So I don't understand your comment at all.

Someone buying a lot that can't be built on needs to learn how to do some research before spending their money.

And I have no idea about some guy and emails. Perhaps a good spam filter would come in handy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 10:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
...Personally, I would prefer Cookeville, Murfreesboro. or the fringes of Nashville over Eastern Tennessee but I can change my mind.
Tornadoes, floods, traffic, and muggy summer nights changed my mind from Nashville interests.

I prefer the mtns if available and near. (I'm a rural dweller, so I may not share your tastes). I look carefully at soil and temp maps for the county I am interested in, and only do south slopes. North and east slopes can be REALLY chilly, as can 'draws' where the cold air can settle. I like ELEVATION as I remember watching the river rise in the valley below and wash away the homes / barns / animals / people.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:12 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Tornadoes, floods, traffic, and muggy summer nights changed my mind from Nashville interests.

I have lived in tornado zones all my life so they are of no major concerns. I think that your chances of getting wiped out by someone texting while driving is probably a lot greater. Muggy nights are less of a concern than slick mountain roads during and after snow storms.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:34 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
I have lived in tornado zones all my life so they are of no major concerns. I think that your chances of getting wiped out by someone texting while driving is probably a lot greater. Muggy nights are less of a concern than slick mountain roads during and after snow storms.
Not so , any trade off for "slick mountian roads" like muggy nights usually brings dreaded ice covered everything , fog rain . That part is all about dew point. It has been concluded that elevation trumps Lattude when it comes to cooler, lower dew point summers. I should know, 18 years at 4,000 ft. In the Blue Ridge.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:09 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
That is find about not reading. Your information didn't conflict with anything so far written. It is though great information. The medical center is a good thing as is the VA hospital there in JC. I am in relatively good condition but I have had almost 40 years of military service with one war zone deployment. Who knows what kind of ailments I could have as a result of that which could show up in my 60's and 70's. I know that my joints are feeling the wear and tear and of course that would go for a lot of occupations too.

I like to hear that golf is a big deal in JC as my wife liked the 55+ community website for Willow Spings Reserve. She thought the home prices might be a bit high but that is not a huge deal breaker as I am pretty sure we will sell up here for nearly twice the cost of a new home there. Buying in there with no mortgage is something we would like to do.

My question back to you Dave is darstar mentioned it is rugged country up there in JC. I haven't been there but plan on making a trip to see. Is it in fact rugged country? You mentioned snow, does that snow accumulate so that in the winter I would need to worry? Will there be so much snow that I would have to make trips to Myrtle Beach for golf in say January or February? I mean I do not mind that so much as I can rent a house or something and enjoy that time. I am also thinking forward 20 years ahead meaning 30 years from now and what would be my next move. As one thread here mentioned that we should also think ahead on 85+ life. What sort of place would I need to be looking at? Would we want to move again? I guess it would depend on how healthy we are. I don't plan on living to be the oldest man ever so I need to at least consider the possiblity I could be a centenarian or my wife could as well.
Some of these may be best asked on the Tennessee board. I spent a lot of time there, specifically the board dedicated to this specific area. But from what I know JC is far from "rugged". It sits in a valley between 2 mountain ranges. As for snow from what I've been told some years there is none, often you get a few inches but the warmth means it's gone in a day. You may have an issue getting to Myrtle Beach in January as you need to pass over a range that may have snow issues. To give you some perspective the largest mountain east of the Mississippi is not too far from JC, forgot the name but I plan on checking it out the next time we visit.

As for 85+ that's a tough call. JC is not that large but who knows what will be there by the time you get to that age. It's constantly showing up on "Best Places to Retire" lists so the growth of an aging population is inevitable and the area will no doubt adapt to that growing demographic.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:34 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,090,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Some of these may be best asked on the Tennessee board. I spent a lot of time there, specifically the board dedicated to this specific area. But from what I know JC is far from "rugged". It sits in a valley between 2 mountain ranges. As for snow from what I've been told some years there is none, often you get a few inches but the warmth means it's gone in a day. You may have an issue getting to Myrtle Beach in January as you need to pass over a range that may have snow issues. To give you some perspective the largest mountain east of the Mississippi is not too far from JC, forgot the name but I plan on checking it out the next time we visit.

As for 85+ that's a tough call. JC is not that large but who knows what will be there by the time you get to that age. It's constantly showing up on "Best Places to Retire" lists so the growth of an aging population is inevitable and the area will no doubt adapt to that growing demographic.

Thanks DaveinMtAiry. I do look at that as well. We will plan a trip out there soon so as to look the area over. I don't know how long I will be able to get the wife to leave here for but we will check out the area as much as we can in whatever time I have. Don't worry I take bad comments with a grain of salt. So far I see nothing that would make me take it off my short list.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:50 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Who was it that said anything bad about Johnson city ? I think its a great place to retire.. I spelled out what its like living at the base of the Mountains in the area, So far I see no one that will challenge anything I have said. Some people need to stop and read my posts ...slowly. . By the way the Highest mountain east of the Rockies is Mt. Mitchell north of Asheville, The second highest at 6,543 is Clingsman Dome on the TN. NC. line.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Who was it that said anything bad about Johnson city ? I think its a great place to retire.. I spelled out what its like living at the base of the Mountains in the area, So far I see no one that will challenge anything I have said. Some people need to stop and read my posts ...slowly. . By the way the Highest mountain east of the Rockies is Mt. Mitchell north of Asheville, The second highest at 6,543 is Clingsman Dome on the TN. NC. line.

No one said you did darstar. There was nothing on here that seemed to challenge JC as a good place to retire. In fact nothing in this thread has given me pause to checking into TN as a retirement destination and quite the opposite. I think it will remain high up on my short list.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:25 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
I'm surprised that there aren't more people considering the Chattanooga metro area as a possible retirement place. At least to look at.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
I'm surprised that there aren't more people considering the Chattanooga metro area as a possible retirement place. At least to look at.

Chattanooga is a metro area that we are considering as part of the whole state. I didn't find a 55+ in that area and yes I know a 55+ isn't the only place we are looking but I want to find places that have restricted access (a gated community).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement