Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 06:10 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,934,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I have flown in and out of Asheville, NC and Greenville, SC while doing NE TN property hunts. JC airport is a possibility too and serviced by Delta (where I have oodles of miles from living in Spain and flying back and forth to Left coast USA).

I used Nashville airport the first time I went to NE TN and stayed at guest homes in Fairfield Glade. My hosts there and Oakridge, Greeneville, and 3 mtn areas in the region were superb, and full of info. Many had retired there, or were able to come to the area during last decade of employment. Most had great PT jobs as retirees that were really fun and educational.

I don't care for the road traffic in and out of BNA, so I will take a puddle jumper into JC or use AVL or CLT or GSP

Knoxville is a mighty fine city for center of activity also. Property values and recreation activities make this an attractive and fun region for active retirees. It will stay tops for my region to build a senior cottage community if I have to start from scratch with bare land. I have stayed with a few couples in their 90's who have enjoyed great medical care in the tri-city area.
The main problem as I see it when looking for property in NE Tenn. is there is not a lot of it in the higher elevations. As you know , Asheville is the center of activity for most of the higher elevations on both sides of the border.The new highway ext. of I-26 that goes over the divide and down to Asheville has opened up some new areas for development. I considered investing in a project myselfe, but it never got off the ground before I sold out and moved back north, after 18 joyious years in Highlands, NC..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
I have been to both Nashville and Memphis. I went to Memphis three times and Nashville once. I know that Mrs Golf and I will travel any area we have in our list that reaches the point level we determine meets our needs and wants. I actually have started a spreadsheet where I can take all of the key points into consideration and rank.

Yes I know it sounds excessive but if you think about it, doing it this way makes perfect sense.
Tenn. is a very long state with several distinct geography influnce. Nashville and Memphis are on the West end, quite different than the eastern section. So much so that the area was once another state called Franklin.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:01 PM

713 posts, read 2,716,703 times
Just throwing my two cents in...I love the VA in Johnson City. I have been in the VA system for the past 28 years and have visited my share of their hospitals (Oklahoma, Kansas, Nevada, California, the VA's in Durham and Salisbury, NC). I was at appointments at the J.C. VAMC five times last month. Beautiful campus, friendly staff. I am two hours drive from there but considering moving to the Johnson City area when my lease is up here in North Carolina.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:43 PM

22 posts, read 36,330 times
I'm currently doing the rounds looking for my own retirement area for about a year and a half from now. I've been at it for six weeks, covering parts of Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia and Tennessee. Last week I visited JC and the rest of the Tri-Cities area. Loved everything about it, from the people to the scenery to the cost of living. There were a lot of reasonably priced homes in Kingsport and lots of land around Gray. It all depends on what you are looking for. If the high price of tax on food worries you, you could always head to Bristol and go to the Virginia side to stock up once a month. I visited JC for the first time six years ago and still love it as much as I did then. There have been a few changes in the area. The renovation of downtown is coming along nicely and nearby Elizabethton seems to have boomed in my absence. But so far this is my number one retirement spot based on my needs for a moderate climate, reasonable housing, and friendly folks to call neighbor. Your mileage may vary.

This week I am in Knoxville. It's nice too but the traffic and size make it seem less homey to me. The people still seem nice but everything is rush rush rush. I'm going to try some of the other areas around here like Oak Ridge, Maryville, and Knob Creek to see if any of them capture my heart the way the Tri-Cities did. Hopefully you'll be able to get out and spend some time in your potential communities and see what clicks with you. After all, you can always rent for a year or so to make sure you love it as much as you thought you might.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:52 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,084,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Tenn. is a very long state with several distinct geography influnce. Nashville and Memphis are on the West end, quite different than the eastern section. So much so that the area was once another state called Franklin.

The state is not much longer than Massachusetts but I agree that it would be quite different in the three areas. West Central and East with even some differences within those areas.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:56 PM

1,092 posts, read 832,281 times
have you checked into the Land Between the Lakes area of Kentucky (not far from Tennessee)

Old 08-15-2013, 08:00 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,191,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deselle View Post
I'm currently doing the rounds looking for my own retirement area for about a year and a half from now. I've been at it for six weeks, covering parts of Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia and Tennessee. Last week I visited JC and the rest of the Tri-Cities area. Loved everything about it, from the people to the scenery to the cost of living. There were a lot of reasonably priced homes in Kingsport and lots of land around Gray. It all depends on what you are looking for. If the high price of tax on food worries you, you could always head to Bristol and go to the Virginia side to stock up once a month. I visited JC for the first time six years ago and still love it as much as I did then. There have been a few changes in the area. The renovation of downtown is coming along nicely and nearby Elizabethton seems to have boomed in my absence. But so far this is my number one retirement spot based on my needs for a moderate climate, reasonable housing, and friendly folks to call neighbor. Your mileage may vary.

This week I am in Knoxville. It's nice too but the traffic and size make it seem less homey to me. The people still seem nice but everything is rush rush rush. I'm going to try some of the other areas around here like Oak Ridge, Maryville, and Knob Creek to see if any of them capture my heart the way the Tri-Cities did. Hopefully you'll be able to get out and spend some time in your potential communities and see what clicks with you. After all, you can always rent for a year or so to make sure you love it as much as you thought you might.
I haven't been to Elizabethton since 2008, and JC in 2011. At the time, both downtowns seem to need some TLC, IMO. How has Elizabethton boomed? More businesses downtown, or renovations there also? I agree the surrounding area is just gorgeous. I would be interested to hear what you think of Maryville, outside of Knoxville. I've been to Knoxville, but didn't visit Maryville or the other smaller towns nearby. Thank you for the update. It's encouraging news.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
The state is not much longer than Massachusetts but I agree that it would be quite different in the three areas. West Central and East with even some differences within those areas.
Ya , like NE Tenn. is different than just east and or SE. I have friends that live there.....when they say Tennessee it comes out Tenn a see. Most do not have the mid south southern ascent , it's more like old English. Have you ever been to a Spring Ramp Festival ? Most still do not honor the VA. Or the NC. Border.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:06 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,010,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I've come to the conclusion that in conjunction with a winter getaway or two...
most northern retirees are better off staying put where they and all they know already are.
(even if if it nets out to a couple thousand more in taxes/fees than some other choices)
So, you've come to the conclusion that most northern retirees are better off staying put where they are, huh? How nice of you to conclude that for them.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
So, you've come to the conclusion that most northern retirees are better off staying put where they are, huh? How nice of you to conclude that for them.
Hate to say it , but what he says is most likely true. We all are a product of be careful what you wish for.....you might get it !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement