Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 09:43 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
This makes sense. What is the other alternative? City govts. cannot make pension promises that they can't keep and then expect others from outside the city to cover their lies/foolishness/deceit/greed. Lots of others in the private sector have lost their pensions. Why should govt. employees be exempt.
Many lost pensions as companies went bankrupt and out of business and ceased to operate and provide that service anymore. So will city bankruptcies result in the inability to attract workers and the cities shutting down and folding? Who will provide the services at lower salaries and benefits than competing neighbors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
I hope people take note of the fact that his ruling applies to municipal, public-sector pensions only. It does not apply to state or federal plans as neither can file bankruptcy. Counties may be a whole other can of worms.

Too many in various threads are predicting the demise of public sector pensions altogether and jumping up and down with glee at the prospect. Pension envy is really ugly and getting worse. They're clearly oblivious to or simply ignore the fact that there are limits to what various courts can change.
Also one entities funding problems aren't everyone's. Many conservative states pride themselves on how well funded their pension funds are.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:55 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
This makes sense. What is the other alternative? City govts. cannot make pension promises that they can't keep and then expect others from outside the city to cover their lies/foolishness/deceit/greed. Lots of others in the private sector have lost their pensions. Why should govt. employees be exempt.
Well, the pension is payment for work that the employees already did years ago. They agreed to take pension benefits in lieu of higher salaries or other benefits, so the city is now trying to take away the pay they already agreed to. If they want to do that, how about just giving them in cash right now the salary they agreed not to demand because they were getting a pension?

Old 12-04-2013, 10:04 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,910 times
With 150 BILLION dollars in unfunded pensions something's gotta give.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:07 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,910 times
I admit to pension envy.
What's the answer I don't know.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
With 150 BILLION dollars in unfunded pensions something's gotta give.
No it doesn't as there are trust funds with investments to earn the money needed. What is important is how well funded each individual pension fund is as they are independent of each other. It is up to each of us to know our individual locales funding level and adjust are thinking accordingly. Yours is not mine and mine is not yours. So obviously our views will vary.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:21 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have been expecting this at some point . . .
too many municipalities are unable to fulfill their pension obligations.
er, uhm....
too many municipalities have been able to get away with underfunding their pension obligations

Old 12-04-2013, 10:27 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,839,105 times
While I appreciate the logic of the article/ruling, I wonder if pensions should be lumped into the same category as other goods and services, when it comes to public bankruptcy. IMO, the problems of underfunded pensions are far too often the result of corruption, greed and malfeasance (at both the municipal and federal level; of course, the Feds can simply print more money to cover its deficits!).

Workers who invest a significant part of their adult lives working towards pensions, 'should NOT simply have to 'shoulder the risk' that someone down the road may essentially 'steal their money'. This is why pension funds all the way from the local/municipal to the Social Security level should be held in untouchable escrow accounts.

Of course, now that the situations are upon us, it is almost impossible to 'get the worms back in the can.' Unfortunately there no longer seems to be a 'public trust' or sense of integrity and doing what is right ... at any level of society. (BTW, I do not personally have a pension and do believe that many of the public sector pensions are far to liberal, due to the lack of a profit motive).

Both private and public sector pensions should be as inviolate as public sector pensions 'after the fact'. The time to deal with under/unfunded pension issues is no less than 20-years before one is eligible to retire on a pension.

Last edited by jghorton; 12-04-2013 at 10:36 AM..

Old 12-04-2013, 03:26 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,627,569 times
Lenora I read the article and under current rules the pension is at 91% of funding. You can not go back and question how they arrived at the funding. If that was the case do States like NJ have to go back and make up 23 years of missed contributions prior to claiming that the pensions there are underfunded?

Old 12-04-2013, 03:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
While I appreciate the logic of the article/ruling, I wonder if pensions should be lumped into the same category as other goods and services, when it comes to public bankruptcy. IMO, the problems of underfunded pensions are far too often the result of corruption, greed and malfeasance (at both the municipal and federal level; of course, the Feds can simply print more money to cover its deficits!).

Workers who invest a significant part of their adult lives working towards pensions, 'should NOT simply have to 'shoulder the risk' that someone down the road may essentially 'steal their money'. This is why pension funds all the way from the local/municipal to the Social Security level should be held in untouchable escrow accounts.

Of course, now that the situations are upon us, it is almost impossible to 'get the worms back in the can.' Unfortunately there no longer seems to be a 'public trust' or sense of integrity and doing what is right ... at any level of society. (BTW, I do not personally have a pension and do believe that many of the public sector pensions are far to liberal, due to the lack of a profit motive).

Both private and public sector pensions should be as inviolate as public sector pensions 'after the fact'. The time to deal with under/unfunded pension issues is no less than 20-years before one is eligible to retire on a pension.
You do realize that pension are invested in risk investments. its not just Detroit who are bondholders this case and in same boat ;other pension funds have investment in their bonds.It depends on the structure of the fund in now invested. often public funds investments are controlled by state law. If held in escrow as cash the they would be make no interest on deposits. The main difference in most pension from 410ks is that its invested as a group to individually and has directors who manage the fund. Ours being non-profit; all interest goes to accounts and anything over guaranteed amount in interest means extra check for retirees at end of year. State laws are much stricter than federal laws on public pensions as far as funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement