Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 07:38 AM

31,689 posts, read 41,092,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Thanks for the moral support! I think maybe the twins, adorable and fun as they are, are making me feel older because my energy level is so much less and when we're with them for a day my body aches after lifting them, getting down on the floor with them, and generally trying to keep up. They'll be walking/running in a few months and then.....

I know what the answer to my 65 blues is. Exercise. I've slacked off over the last few months and boy do I feel it. I have to fling myself into the outdoors with my layers on and keep it up consistently rather than being a wuss. I never stuck to gyms. I signed up for unlimited montlhy yoga but I need the aerobics. I'm only a little overweight, thankfully.
If you were still fifty five you wouldn't be retired and you would not have had your grandchildren yet. Just think of the great possibilities in the next five years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 07:41 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,995,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
Wait till you see how fast 80 will hit you!!!!
I asked for consoling thoughts.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:46 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,995,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
If you were still fifty five you wouldn't be retired and you would not have had your grandchildren yet. Just think of the great possibilities in the next five years.
Good perspective. I'm convinced this morning that if I got my body in shape I'd be in a lot better frame of mind facing down 70. The old man is a lot healthier than me because he walks vigorously daily, does the yard work and remodeling, etc. He had severe arthritis 12 years ago and today has none and is fit as a fiddle. My sedentary ways are catching up with me. I know what I have to do, and if anything helps aging I think exercise as important or more so than diet. It doesn't compute that I look in the mirror and don't see terribly old but FEEL quite so. And that number "65" .........

Old 12-27-2013, 08:12 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,033,108 times
Quote:
Good perspective. I'm convinced this morning that if I got my body in shape I'd be in a lot better frame of mind facing down 70. The old man is a lot healthier than me because he walks vigorously daily, does the yard work and remodeling, etc. He had severe arthritis 12 years ago and today has none and is fit as a fiddle. My sedentary ways are catching up with me. I know what I have to do, and if anything helps aging I think exercise as important or more so than diet. It doesn't compute that I look in the mirror and don't see terribly old but FEEL quite so. And that number "65" .........
Bingo -exercise is critical for your body and your mind. I even enjoy shoveling - oh yes I do - the exercise and fresh air gives me a lift. Instead of being tired when I'm done - I'm charged. Articles on depression often state that exercise is a key to relieving this malady.

Computers are wonderful and awful - many of us spend too much time on our arses. If you can't do gym type exercising, walking is a great way to get those endorphins elevated. You may be just experiencing the winter blues. I don't know if you get a lot of sunshine where you are but endless days of gloom would put me in bed curled up in the fetal position. A majority of our winter days here are bright and sunny and this is why the cold days just don't bother me.

Those twins are good for you - you are using muscles that are otherwise dormant. Excellent exercise. Bundle up and take those bowzers for a walk - they will appreciate it and so will you.

Looks like your "old man" (I laugh every time I read that) is a good influence for you.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:40 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,688,827 times
My husband was excited when he was able to use his senior discount at the movies too

Happy Birthday NEG

Old 12-27-2013, 08:42 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,502,778 times
Quote:
40 didn't bother me, 50 didn't bother me, 55 OK. In a few days I'll officially turn 65. Not trying to be a baby, but it feels dizzying up this high. Anyone else going/gone through weird feelings about the "official senior status"? Is it all downhill from here? Anyone actually improve at this milestone? Consoling thoughts?
I became a Christian when I was 30 years old in 1980.
When I turned 40 I felt like ( now what ) .. I quess I felt like
I was on the down hill side of life, and feeling weard and kind of sad.

Two or three day later while I was thinking about all of this
The Lord spoke to my mind and heart, and help me to realise
I don't have that much longer to live on earth and it will not be
that long that I will be in heaven with Him.

Then I started feeling better Thanks To The Lord God Almighty.

I just turned 65 ... 12/12 2013 and I'm ready to go home with The Lord ! ! !

Last edited by bumpus7; 12-27-2013 at 10:12 AM..

Old 12-27-2013, 09:47 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,633,287 times
When a co-worker of mine said she was about to turn 50 and ask what could be good about that...I responded,....well you qualify for a discount on your auto insurance...she started rolling with laughter.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:06 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,783,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
I became a Christian when I was 30 years old in 1980.
When I turned 40 I felt like ( now what ) .. I quess I felt like
I was on the down hill side of life, and feeling weard and kind of sad.

Two or three day later while I was thinking about all of this
The Lord spoke to my mind and heart, and help me to realise
I don't have that much longer to live on earth and it will not be
that long that I will be in heaven with Him.

Then I started feeling better Thanks To The Lord God Almighty.

I just turned 65 ... 12/12 3013 and I'm ready to go home with The Lord ! ! !

12/12/3013?

Gracious me, at 65 you're ready to go home with your Lord? How very depressing. Just as depressing as reaching 40 and feeling that you were on the "down hill side of life" ... What a miserable Lord you have to have spoken to you at 40 and let you know that you didn't have much longer to live on earth. Since you made it through another 25 years then I suppose you must have misheard him.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:12 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,414,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post

I just turned 65 ... 12/12 3013 and I'm ready to go home with The Lord ! ! !

You need to find a hobby, unless you are on your death bed your too young to be thinking about packing it in.

65 is no big deal, when you hit 70 like I did last week you now become (to others) one of the old people.

In my way of thinking, old people are people who are at least 20 years older than you are. When you no longer can find anybody 20 years older you are now one of the old people.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:16 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,502,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
12/12/3013?

Gracious me, at 65 you're ready to go home with your Lord? How very depressing. Just as depressing as reaching 40 and feeling that you were on the "down hill side of life" ... What a miserable Lord you have to have spoken to you at 40 and let you know that you didn't have much longer to live on earth. Since you made it through another 25 years then I suppose you must have misheard him.
I may have made a mistake on the 3013 instead of 2013.

But I would much rather be in heaven than on earth at any time,
even now if He wants to take me out of this world,
but The Lord is not done with me here on earth yet
and that is more important to Him, and I can live happy with that ! ! !

Time on earth is very short but eternity in
Heaven is Forever and Forever with out end

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement