Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 02:28 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,213 times

Advertisements

Lots of areas in the Southern states allow golf carts on the streets. That's what I'd do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 03:23 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You assume there is public transportation where we live and that we are able to actually get on a bus with their high steps. Public transportation wouldn't take me where I would want to go.
I fully understand that there isn't public transportation everywhere. I know you will lose MANY experiences and general freedom when you can no longer drive. But do you plan to be behind the wheel when you are nearly deaf or have cataracts? Is it OK for you to plow into two other cars driven by neighbors — as my own lovely mother did when her reflexes failed her as she was one mile away from her house? Are you so devoid of interest in public safety that you will take other people's lives in your hands just so you can live the life you are now living?

I fully understand that seniors want to age in place. They don't want to give up the homes where they raised their children. They want to be near life-long friends and their doctor and their church. I don't blame ANYONE for that attitude. It was a mistake for our communities to decide to be so car-dependent and I doubt anyone ever asked for your input in where to put the houses.

But you HAVE to make some serious plans for how you are going to address the problem of transportation in your old age. Or maybe make some changes in "where you want to go." Who's going to take you to the doctor when you're sick? Your remark about buses leads me to believe you haven't even been on one for years. I don't know a single bus company that doesn't have handicapped accessibility for its buses now. They've solved that problem of the high step. The ADA probably made it mandatory. Is it also possible that you are ignoring other options, like van service for the disabled, that most towns have but people don't even bother to learn about until they are in a jam?

Many people ware just too proud to take advantage of these services. They don't want to trouble a friend asking for a ride to the store or to Sunday services. And they are the ones who are having four times more accidents than the average driver.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:26 PM

460 posts, read 988,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
No shoes? No bike?
Simply not practical around here (distance to stores, etc).

I spent 30 years traveling for a living. Many different cities, in many different parts of the world. I know how to get around without a car. Sure, I could get along fine in New York City (and a lot of other cities) without a car, and I don't think I would want a one if I lived there. But around here, living without a car would be a pain.

I can afford a car, so why would I inconvenience myself by giving it up?

Old 01-07-2014, 04:01 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I fully understand that there isn't public transportation everywhere. I know you will lose MANY experiences and general freedom when you can no longer drive. But do you plan to be behind the wheel when you are nearly deaf or have cataracts? Is it OK for you to plow into two other cars driven by neighbors — as my own lovely mother did when her reflexes failed her as she was one mile away from her house? Are you so devoid of interest in public safety that you will take other people's lives in your hands just so you can live the life you are now living?

I fully understand that seniors want to age in place. They don't want to give up the homes where they raised their children. They want to be near life-long friends and their doctor and their church. I don't blame ANYONE for that attitude. It was a mistake for our communities to decide to be so car-dependent and I doubt anyone ever asked for your input in where to put the houses.

But you HAVE to make some serious plans for how you are going to address the problem of transportation in your old age. Or maybe make some changes in "where you want to go." Who's going to take you to the doctor when you're sick? Your remark about buses leads me to believe you haven't even been on one for years. I don't know a single bus company that doesn't have handicapped accessibility for its buses now. They've solved that problem of the high step. The ADA probably made it mandatory. Is it also possible that you are ignoring other options, like van service for the disabled, that most towns have but people don't even bother to learn about until they are in a jam?

Many people ware just too proud to take advantage of these services. They don't want to trouble a friend asking for a ride to the store or to Sunday services. And they are the ones who are having four times more accidents than the average driver.
This post says it all, and I've been saying the same thing for years on CD-Retirement. Yes of course we all want our freedom afforded by our vehicles, who wouldn't? But it is just plain irresponsible to drive after a certain age and with any of the many conditions that afflict old age. My sister's FIL, now 94, who can hardly move and has a c-bag, is still driving. Someone in our movie group is 80 and has arthritis so bad he needs helpers just to move about and get in and out of houses and buildings. No rotational range whatsoever. He is STILL DRIVING. It is totally irresponsible and narcissistic. Take the van or a taxi, old geezers. That's what I plan to do.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:17 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
My sister's FIL, now 94, who can hardly move and has a c-bag, is still driving.
Would you care to explain how this is in the least bit relevant?

Old 01-07-2014, 05:37 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Anyone else thinking about kicking that stressful habit in their retirement years?
Absolutely NOT. What is stressful about driving?

Old 01-07-2014, 07:52 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
I didn't begin to drive until I was in my late 30s. Smartest thing I ever did. Well, maybe second smartest. But I don't know that I could manage very well without a car in my garage. I've never been able to ask people for favors and the bus stop is not very close to where I live.

I had a serious illness five years ago and couldn't drive for several months. Couldn't do much else either so I didn't mind that I had to have others drive me to medical appointments. But once I was able to, I drove myself.

This summer, my 23-year-old car decided it had had enough and left me stranded several times. After the fourth time, I decided it had had enough and after a couple of weeks, I was once again able to haul my own self around in a new car. I don't drive much these days; to the store, to the doctor, to my youngest son's. For the last couple of years, I've driven less than 3,000 miles. But I sure hope there are cars in heaven. Otherwise, I don't want to go.

BTW: I've been retired for almost 14 years.

ETA: As for "old geezers", there are geezers and there are geezers. At 78, I live in a 6-room house with one bathroom - on the second floor. I cook my own food, manage my own finances, cut my own grass. I babysit grandchildren regularly and walk a mile (or more) every day. Except when it's too cold to risk frostbite. I hope that you'll come back when you get to that "certain age" and are prepared to give up your independence.
If I had cataracts, or suffered from deafness or neurologic impairment or dementia, my family would see to it that my license would be lifted. In the meantime, I'll drive the speed limit as long as the weather permits. I'll be alert to hazards on the road. I won't tailgate nor will I antagonize joggers or bikers. These are things I've seen younger people do and I'm glad I'm mature enough and responsible enough to know that they aren't safe. I'll know when it's time.

Last edited by theatergypsy; 01-07-2014 at 08:04 PM..

Old 01-07-2014, 07:55 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Would you care to explain how this is in the least bit relevant?
He needs help for just about everything, including that. He had an "accident" in the car this past summer, it riled him and nearly threw him off the road. He got a fender bender and never told my sister or his son, they only found out when they demanded to know about the accident (the car, that is) report on the insurance they pay for him.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:26 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
... I'll know when it's time.
That's what my mother said, too. Right before her arthritis didn't permit her to move her leg onto the brake quickly enough and she hit two other cars. One driven by a mother and the other driven by her daughter who both lived in the neighborhood. Thank heaven they weren't hurt but their cars were damaged. The one Mom was driving was totaled (which just happened to be mine). She was one mile from her house. It was broad daylight. She was on the road that runs right in front of her development on her way to an appointment she has every two weeks. You couldn't get a more familiar driving situation. Her body just failed her. She was cited by the police after a lifetime of flawless driving.

I'm glad you are in such good health and able to enjoy the life you have now. But please don't kid yourself; your abilities are changing every year.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:37 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Plenty of people who are not all that old get tickets and have accidents; it's no reason to stop driving. If old people had an accident rate 100x greater it would be no reason. There's risk in everything. If younger people are afraid to be on the road with us let them stay home.

If the government took my licence I'd still drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement