Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 01:55 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
I would be stressed out if I didn't have a car!

Ditto. How am I going to take my dogs to Petsmart and haul the shorties around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 02:55 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
I would consider car sharing with a younger adult before I'd entirely give up my car.

That said, I do not plan to drive past 80, if I make it to that age. I rather like the idea of being picked up and chauffeured in old age, even if it's a taxi. I can have "my driver" take me on country roads and to the sea.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:32 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,384,008 times
I have a friend whose 74 year old widowed mother has a second home in Portland, Oregon. It's a condo in the center of the city. She spends several months a year there and does not bother with a car. Takes the MAX Light Rail to get places. Of course, she can use cabs if needed, and her son is nearby. When she is at her home in El Paso, she drives a car. She does not want to maintain cars in both places or contend with the traffic in downtown Portland. While she is capable of driving the four hours between El Paso and Albuquerque, she does not feel comfortable driving from El Paso to Portland, especially alone.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:40 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,651 times
A friend and I were talking about this today. She is 86, although I wouldn't have guessed it if she hadn't told me. She drives, but missed our bookclub because it gets dark so early and the weather was bad. She is worried that her children will insist she quit driving if "anything happens".

I am just the opposite. I don't intend to spend any more money on my vehicle other than tags, insurance, and regular maintenance. All of these are insignificant expenses, but the sum total would pay for a good number of taxi and bus fares.

I never did care much about a car. It will be one more thing I don't have to deal with.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:19 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Car = freedom - very important to me. I will not drive when it becomes clear that I've lost the skill. Let's hope that's one day before I expire.

One accident and I bet insurance rates go up up up for older people. It would become too expensive to continue driving.

Boogie's mom - you are right though - when you add all costs for car ownership someone could take many taxis. I took the bus for many years when I worked and looked forward to the quiet time to either prepare for the day or unwind. I maybe could do it again - hmmmmmm - blech.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:58 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
There's no stress for me. I've never been a fearful driver and doubt that I'll become one. I can still drive at 100 mph, react to exigent situations, and enjoy new and varied driving tours. I know that there are people who are scared out of their wits driving. If you're one of them don't drive.
I've always been one of those worry wart drivers, have never gotten over it, and it seems to only be getting worse. Having night vision hasn't helped. And my patience with cars just keeps dwindling.

My last traffic fine (more and more a great source of revenue for our cities/counties/states) was one of the clinchers, the 4-day ordeal I went through to get my car smogged this year, a flat tire along a busy interstate highway, the shocks to one's budget when you go to a car repair shop today, not knowing if it's going to set you back $500, $1000, $1500 or $2000 have all contributed to my decision to go car-less, and rent a car once every 3 weeks, or so, for some heavier purchases.

I live in Las Vegas and it's a 24 hour city, with 24 hour bus service on their major routes, and I'm just a block and a half from one of the major routes, so that'll take some of the pain away. And there's a major grocery store in my neighborhood which will deliver groceries to your house if you buy more than $100 in groceries.

Hauling groceries, one of the biggest obstacles of all. I am blessed to have 5 major grocery stores (one 3 blocks away, another 4 blocks away) and I've biked to these, occasionally. And there's local bars, one is up the street from me, and 2 others 3 blocks further. So that takes this worry wart's worry about drinking and driving. And if I want to go to the Las Vegas Strip, some night, with 24 hour bus service, no problem there!

Back in my 20's, in Minneapolis, I lived 7 years up there without a car, and in many ways, this is like going home again! For those who have never lived without a car, that path might be more arduous, surviving without one.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:59 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
No way I will stop driving until the State or my Son's take away my keys. I am really dreading that day because building cars and driving them is a huge part of my life.

Don

Old 01-06-2014, 08:20 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,348 times
Like most of my bad habits, I don't plan on quitting driving, but I will be cutting way back.
I've found I really don't need a car most days, everything is within walking or biking distance.
Have noticed in these discussions most people assume if you don't drive you need good public transit,
but I have found a good location and good shoes and good bike are a better combo.

But one of my goals for retirement is to travel and explore more, so a good vehicle is necessary.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:05 PM

306 posts, read 416,439 times
I am planning for that time now. I am living on street with a frequent bus line, although our buses don't run week-ends. I am walking distance to a Rite-Aid, Trader Joes, Winco (large grocery), Walmart and several fast food places. I take the bus to work 4 days a week now and enjoy using that time to just relax and read.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:34 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
I love my car. I love to drive. My driving record shows me to be a safe driver. That said, I truly believe people shouldn't be driving once reach their 80s. I know what all the seniors say, "I only drive during the day and I only drive close to home." So it's better to collide with someone you're likely to know?

Reputable studies show that drivers age 75-84 have a rate of three deaths per 100 million miles driven, equal to the death rate for teenage drivers. For drivers 85 and older, the death rate is almost four times that. The causes are impossible to avoid. We all experience deterioration in our vision and hearing, decreased reaction times, issues with our mobility as we age. All of those effect the ability to drive competently. Many seniors take medications that can interfere with quick decision-making. Many seniors neglect the care that keeps their cars in tip-top condition. Those facts are indisputable and one's ability to decide that we are the exception to the rule is shaky, at best.

It's terrible that we Americans live in a society that is so automobile-dependent. It's understandable that seniors feel like their lives have ended when they lose their driving privileges. I've watched many of my relatives fight to keep on the highway long after they've been told they're not driving safely. That's why I plan to get myself in a situation in my senior years where I will have access to public transportation. Another option is moving to an "active adult" community where there is van service available for those who don't drive. I'm in the suburban house I'm in now because I'm taking care of my disabled mother. But when she is no longer with me, I will sell this place. My first priority in finding a new home will be the availability for transportation when I no longer drive. Because I don't have any children to chauffeur me around the way I drive my mother places almost daily.

I applaud anyone and everyone who is making plans IN ADVANCE for when they have to forfeit their keys. None of us is invincible.

Older, dangerous drivers a growing problem - USATODAY.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement