Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 07:15 AM

11,104 posts, read 9,746,390 times

Advertisements

I said no party but boss insisted on a small one. It was not small, there were flowers, speeches, gifts, etc. I had been taken out to lunch earlier in the week with my work team, and the party was for anyone in the department or anyone that wanted to come. After that I still had a couple of awkward hours left. My personal stuff had already been taken home and I had cleaned out my cube for my replacement, so I just walked around and said my one on one goodbyes and left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 07:52 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,065 times
Coworkers suggested a luncheon for a large group but I begged off and it ended up just our dept went (much better!). A quiet lunch, one gift from all. Most of the day was doing nothing except trying to look busy. Turned in company property right after lunch and left soon after. One of the happiest days of my life!

Old 02-09-2014, 07:57 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I had found out in July that my job was being eliminated on September 30. It actually dragged on until November 30, so by the time the day came, I went out for lunch with a coworker, said "thanks, but no thanks" to a dinner invitation, and got the heck out of there. I think everyone felt like the leaving took way too long, especially me.
I was sad that the leaving wasn't on my own terms...felt like unfinished business, but by that time I wanted to kick dirt on it and be gone.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:30 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,054,901 times
Obviously we all were somewhat "embedded" in our workplace, for good or for bad. Otherwise no emotions, right?
In my case I started "leaving" about 1 month before, taking stuff home, and recognizing that people were "terminating" with me as coworkers, friends, confidants. It went well. I wasn't stressed because I knew I had to retire at that time, in order to get the maximum $ amount in benefits. We had a lunch, it went well, then they went back to the office and I went home.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:44 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
I am a retired elementary special education teacher who was partly pushed out due to my age, late 50s, because they could hire a replacement for half my salary. Partly it was because my productivity had declined, 30 years of 60 to 70 hour weeks had broken me and mostly it was because my rheumatoid arthritis was making it difficult to do parts of my job. As I said my last year, " I can still lift and carry a 40 pound child (technically we had to be able to lift and carry a 50 pound child) however, I can not safely lift and carry and physically restrain a 40 pound kicking, screaming, biting, thrashing, hitting, spitting child (every year for my last five years I had at least one student that fit this category)."

My last official day of work my fellow teachers gave me flowers, a cake, a plaque and a few speeches.

Even though I had been trying to go through things throughout my last few months, of course the students, paperwork and the regular day to day work responsibilities took priority. Since I had been teaching for 30 years, the last 15 in the same job and same school I had to sort through every corner of the classroom to divide my personal books, materials, supplies, furniture between what I was going to take home, give away, throw away and organize the rest for the new teacher.

In my case I had several thousand dollars of personal books and materials in the room and I was not going to just leave everything. It took 2 1/2 weeks (of course this was unpaid time), working from 4 to 8 hours a day to complete the task but I was finally done.

My last, last day? I was basically finished but just wanted to double check the room for one last time and I entered my classroom and discovered that my replacement teacher had visited the classroom and was starting to prepare for the upcoming school year (this was about July 1 and school started after Labor Day). I said one last goodbye, locked the classroom door and found the janitor to unlock the principals office so I could put my classroom key on her desk.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:54 AM

30,498 posts, read 16,202,768 times
It was a Sunday, someday in Jan, 2013. We worked alone on weekends so I just told the 3rd shift tech what was going on when she came in and left.

Very much relieved to be gone.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:54 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,403,116 times
My last day was one of good byes and early departure after 38 years at the same company. The paper signing happened long before my last day and the retirement lunch was a few days before my last day. Not a lot of emotion as it was my decision to leave 5 years before I "had" to by law.

The hours at work were long but challenging working with bright, honest people who are like a family after that much time.

My favorite part of retirement was the day after when I could sleep in as late as I wanted (which wasn't late but no alarm set.) No more late day calls from Asia and no more high stress limited time frame projects too.

The job of retirement for me lasted a few years when my golf game did not get much better and I had traveled all I wanted and spent time with family in abundance.

After a few years a statement my dad made me to when he retired came home to me... retirement is the worst job you can have because you never get a day off. So retired from retirement and work some on my terms now.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:34 PM

50,344 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I am a retired elementary special education teacher who was partly pushed out due to my age, late 50s, because they could hire a replacement for half my salary. Partly it was because my productivity had declined, 30 years of 60 to 70 hour weeks had broken me and mostly it was because my rheumatoid arthritis was making it difficult to do parts of my job. As I said my last year, " I can still lift and carry a 40 pound child (technically we had to be able to lift and carry a 50 pound child) however, I can not safely lift and carry and physically restrain a 40 pound kicking, screaming, biting, thrashing, hitting, spitting child (every year for my last five years I had at least one student that fit this category)."

My last official day of work my fellow teachers gave me flowers, a cake, a plaque and a few speeches.

Even though I had been trying to go through things throughout my last few months, of course the students, paperwork and the regular day to day work responsibilities took priority. Since I had been teaching for 30 years, the last 15 in the same job and same school I had to sort through every corner of the classroom to divide my personal books, materials, supplies, furniture between what I was going to take home, give away, throw away and organize the rest for the new teacher.

In my case I had several thousand dollars of personal books and materials in the room and I was not going to just leave everything. It took 2 1/2 weeks (of course this was unpaid time), working from 4 to 8 hours a day to complete the task but I was finally done.

My last, last day? I was basically finished but just wanted to double check the room for one last time and I entered my classroom and discovered that my replacement teacher had visited the classroom and was starting to prepare for the upcoming school year (this was about July 1 and school started after Labor Day). I said one last goodbye, locked the classroom door and found the janitor to unlock the principals office so I could put my classroom key on her desk.
God bless you for the work you did.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:25 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
I have enjoyed reading these stories. Thanks for sharing.

Be sure to share yours if you haven't already, and if you want to.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:49 PM

30,498 posts, read 16,202,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
My last day was one of good byes and early departure after 38 years at the same company. The paper signing happened long before my last day and the retirement lunch was a few days before my last day. Not a lot of emotion as it was my decision to leave 5 years before I "had" to by law.

The hours at work were long but challenging working with bright, honest people who are like a family after that much time.

My favorite part of retirement was the day after when I could sleep in as late as I wanted (which wasn't late but no alarm set.) No more late day calls from Asia and no more high stress limited time frame projects too.

The job of retirement for me lasted a few years when my golf game did not get much better and I had traveled all I wanted and spent time with family in abundance.

After a few years a statement my dad made me to when he retired came home to me... retirement is the worst job you can have because you never get a day off. So retired from retirement and work some on my terms now.
I think that's the best thing about retirement: you can work if you want, but on your terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement