Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 12:28 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times

Advertisements

I'm happy with my choices. My career of 35 years was what I wanted to do. I retired early, moved to a small mountain town. Have no worries. I've always believed one shouldn't look back, as you cannot undo the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 12:49 PM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times
I agree about not looking back. Or at least dwelling on it.

I too am overall satisfied with my choices. If I could change something it would be to not have been as focused on stuff. But that's not really a big deal.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:15 PM

813 posts, read 1,133,734 times
Friends and Family would say I made a lot of bad choices, retiring at 33/having a young mistress for 12 years/Expensive habits and addictions/Divorcing my Ex and giving her a million dollar a year business/Moving to Peru/Marrying a women 1/2 my age, having a child in My 50's and another in my 60's.

ME, the only choice I regret, is starting to smoke cigarettes at 13!

Old 02-10-2014, 01:24 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
LOL alpineprince, you will be one of those skidding sideways in to the grave at the end yelling "Wahoo!, what a ride!

Me? I regret my first marriage. If I hadn't married, I would have stayed in the USAF and had a somewhat different working life. Other than that, I'm satisfied. Glad I decided against kids, glad I got a job w/a pension and stuck it out until I was eligible to retire. Glad I saved what I did. I do wish I had traveled a bit more when I was younger, but will make up for that now. Love my life and my retirement so really nothing to complain about.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:31 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times
I'm perfectly happy with where I am now, so I have to look back at the collective choices I made as getting me where I am today, even though there were stumbles and detours along the way sometimes. And unlike some other posters, the best choice I ever made was having my son. He's enriched my life in ways more money or other experiences never could have.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
LOL alpineprince, you will be one of those skidding sideways in to the grave at the end yelling "Wahoo!, what a ride!
GRAVE ????? Nobody mentioned anything about a "grave" to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Me? I regret my first marriage. If I hadn't married, I would have stayed in the USAF and had a somewhat different working life. Other than that, I'm satisfied. Glad I decided against kids, glad I got a job w/a pension and stuck it out until I was eligible to retire. Glad I saved what I did. I do wish I had traveled a bit more when I was younger, but will make up for that now. Love my life and my retirement so really nothing to complain about.
I have a 25 y/o daughter from my first marriage and my ex and I made millions, so I will never regret getting married or divorced. She said I could never live without "the money" but she appears to be wrong.

I regret things I have said and done, but I am extremely happy "where I am in life" now and fully cognizant that if I had not done the things I did (choices I made) I would not be where I am now and certainly can't picture a richer life only more riches!

I am glad to hear "you are in a good place"!

Old 02-10-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I'm perfectly happy with where I am now, so I have to look back at the collective choices I made as getting me where I am today, even though there were stumbles and detours along the way sometimes. And unlike some other posters, the best choice I ever made was having my son. He's enriched my life in ways more money or other experiences never could have.
You, have expressed my thoughts more succinctly!

Old 02-10-2014, 03:26 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
I had to think about this a while....

I regret what I did after high school, the college choice and major I took. My parents were not college grads, being children of the Great Depression. They never encouraged their own children to do anything special with their lives, didn't ever introduce us to cultural life or get involved in our studies or schools. They were unhappy parents trying to hang on to a middle class life, preoccupied with their troubles. Whatever I learned about anything worthwhile I learned on my own in high school. This lack of encouragement and support I accepted, but it led to my defining myself in a way that is considerably less than my potential, and my working years, though successful due to hard work, were rather misplaced.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:10 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
I regret not having spent more time at the office...........

Joke!

I have always done things like buying the smallest house that works for us rather than the biggest one we could afford. Buying a new car every 10 years seems cost effective. We moved to where we plan to retire 10 years ago, so when we do retire we will already have friends and connections in place. I could have done a better job investing, but despite my poor efforts we will do fine. It helped that I worked lower paying government jobs and now am faced with secure moderate pensions-sacrificed the big bucks for a secure future. No regrets, financially.

Otherwise, a few.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:47 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
What interesting reading.

I made a big mistake in where I went to college and have always regretted it. I grew up in a very competitive town and the school system was like a pressure cooker. I did fairly well and could have gone to a good college but there was so much pressure on me! Besides that, my dad was a guidance counselor and so he pressured me even more. I caved and could not make a decision.

What should have happened--a year off to grow up and figure out what I wanted to do. But I didn't have that choice. Finally I went to a state teacher's college where there was no social life because it was mostly women. The courses were silly--I had gone to a top rated high school and we were studying things I'd had in 8th grade. I got pretty depressed, kept trying to figure out where else I could go, what else I could major in.

That decision influenced the rest of my life--who I married, where I lived, who my friends were.

I had some good times along the way--travel, decent houses, interesting people. I was always frugal and still am. Even without much money (divorce) the current chapter of my life is much better than the earlier chapters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement