Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 07:32 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times

Advertisements

One of the nice things about America is that it's the third largest country in the world as measured by land mass; Russia being first and Canada second. Given our unrestricted right of travel, we can choose to live where we wish in a variety of climate zones, topographies, cultures, costs of living, etc. Essentially, we can "hand craft" our retirement destinations. For instance, in retirement we moved from a state that has somewhat predominantly redundant weather back to a land of four distinct seasons and some climatic "excitement" as well as a unique topography. Many other retirees have done the same with some seeking lakes for fishing, the ocean, mountains, forests, warmth, rain, snow, political leanings, religious observances, social morays; just about something for everyone somewhere here. I doubt that those of us who exercised our abilities to choose and could afford where we landed feel the least bit deprived, anymore than do those who chose to retire in place. Most of us appear to have healthcare plans sufficient for our needs and access is one of many considerations we carefully weighed.

Because of these and many other factors I still fail to find value in yet another "the sky is falling," comparitive thread. But by all means, enjoy!

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 03-08-2014 at 07:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 07:50 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
So much of this is relative and comparing is not easy or probably valid. As a nation we are picking up the cost for the defense of other nations and perhaps equally as important the cost of medical research that others benefit from. We have large segments of our population sucking up financial resources without producing much in return. I am always reminded that what we often/not always define as poverty is middle class elsewhere. If more of the population shared the productive load we might have more doctors, wealth and functional efficiency. As is the case with seniors and the elderly. We often debate how many didn't use their working years efficiently to provide for their retirement years.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
#22 in finances and #24 in QOL drag us down as well, but the icing on the cake is #36 for material well-being. And I thought that it was the Americans who were always buying sh*t.
Perhaps that quest for buying stuff is why we lack real material well being. It is easier to accumulate more when paying cash and not incurring debt and interest charges which come at the expense of future spending/consumption. Sorta sounds like a description of our various levels of government.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:07 AM

1,855 posts, read 3,611,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
So much of this is relative and comparing is not easy or probably valid. As a nation we are picking up the cost for the defense of other nations and perhaps equally as important the cost of medical research that others benefit from. We have large segments of our population sucking up financial resources without producing much in return. I am always reminded that what we often/not always define as poverty is middle class elsewhere. If more of the population shared the productive load we might have more doctors, wealth and functional efficiency. As is the case with seniors and the elderly. We often debate how many didn't use their working years efficiently to provide for their retirement years.
There is some validity in what you say, but I can pretty much guarantee you that the middle class of those countries ahead of us on this list are most certainly not the equivalent of our impoverished.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
#22 in finances and #24 in QOL drag us down as well, but the icing on the cake is #36 for material well-being. And I thought that it was the Americans who were always buying sh*t.
But going pretty far into debt though.
America is not known for its saving habits.
And it's the saving for retirement that bites them.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:32 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,681,452 times
Quote:
The low ratings for retirement security and quality of healthcare also feed into a shorter life span than most of the countries rated above us.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
The low ratings for retirement security and quality of healthcare also feed into a shorter life span than most of the countries rated above us.
After transplanting to the south I understand the health gap between the South and other regions. In large part it is lack of education, smoking, diet and other self inflicted wounds including alcohol.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
There is some validity in what you say, but I can pretty much guarantee you that the middle class of those countries ahead of us on this list are most certainly not the equivalent of our impoverished.
The impact of being at the poverty level varies considerably in our society as does being middle class elsewhere.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:18 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
I think a comparison is very hard to do really. Especially when your only considering social network for retirees not the nation overall. The present does not mean it's sustained. Just as we see western nations losing a lot of their most talent youth that reach the top education wise.; because of responsibility to support those programs and lessor future. Other who are supported have little choice in that regard because basically their not wanted. I guess if you think government promises are secure as this article implies then you believe its the end all.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:24 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
Retirement security: U.S. lags other countries - Feb. 25, 2014

Most people I know are clueless as to how much better people of other countries have it than we do here. After all, we live in the 'greatest country in the history of the world'. Ignorance is bliss, so they say...
I guess the question is.... Would you have been willing to pay 50% - 60% - 70% of your income in taxes for the past 30 years so that you could have a more "secure" retirement? (whatever that means).

Most people would not. Most people complain that the taxes they pay are already too high. You can't have it both ways.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement