Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 09:31 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
You've never looked at immigration rules have you? You can't just pick up and move to anywhere in Europe (or most other countries). Immigration to other countries is as tough as the US. Do you really think the UK would welcome retirees who would use the NHS when they never paid taxes here?!

I am here because I married a citizen when I was 48 and have an excellent quality of life and healthcare. A bonus was that at age 60 you get a bus pass for free travel all over Scotland. Services for seniors are fantastic here.
Many countries have special emigration rules for retired folks.
Many countries welcome retired folks who can prove they will not become a burden on the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 09:34 AM

I'm retired and enjoying my retirement.
Then again my life does not revolve around the medical industry.

I didn't realize how many sick people there are in this world that health insurance and access to doctors drives their very existence in life.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:42 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,547,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Many countries have special emigration rules for retired folks.
Many countries welcome retired folks who can prove they will not become a burden on the state.
Yea, Costa Rica, Mexico, Panama, Thailand. Not any of Europe, not Australia, or New Zealand.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Good for you I get the feeling that profit is a dirty word to you...or would you rather govt. regulate that too?
When doctors order unnecessary tests and do unnecessary procedures because they need a new Mercedes, that's a problem. Look at how many c-sections they are in the US and most are not needed. The OB gets paid more for a c-section than a natural birth. PROFIT.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Yea, Costa Rica, Mexico, Panama, Thailand. Not any of Europe, not Australia, or New Zealand.
Ireland does, UK used to, Australia does and New Zealand does as well.

Go look up retirement visa.
This is the retirement forum.
At least be informed when you come here to post.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Ireland does, UK used to, Australia does and New Zealand does as well.

Go look up retirement visa.
This is the retirement forum.
At least be informed when you come here to post.
Ireland is only if you can prove your grandparent was Irish. UK nope. Same for Australia. Didn't see any for NZ either. If you have a whack of money you are investing in the country, that's different. Or married to a citizen. But simple retirement visas, not any more.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:24 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,584 times
Quote:
When doctors order unnecessary tests and do unnecessary procedures because they need a new Mercedes, that's a problem. Look at how many c-sections they are in the US and most are not needed. The OB gets paid more for a c-section than a natural birth. PROFIT.
Unnecessary testing is due to litigation I believe, a whole other issue! However, it seems Scotland is doing something that benefits their people and thats good. The cost issues here in the states could for the most part be minimized by allowing competition between the states for insurance coverage. Currently, its regulated state to state. Competition will drive the cost of healthcare down.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:29 AM

440 posts, read 867,441 times
Quote:
By that logic look how many women in the UK and Australia are "encouraged" to go through natural birth using an overworked state provided midwife only to end up having a c-section if their lucky…in my case it was not the case and my 20 year old daughter pays that price everyday. Thankfully my other children had the benefit of a dedicated OB who was able to focus and my health and that of my babies.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:31 AM

415 posts, read 764,730 times
yep... and falling....

Old 03-09-2014, 11:09 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Sorta funny the turn in the discussion to child birth . I mean funny in a retirement forum. I guess some of us geezers have a young honey on the side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement