Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 07:10 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,207,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Some will say "Right where I am," and that's understandable. But for those who may not want to live out their days right where they are now: Where do you imagine you would be most content just before leaving the known world...and what are some of the explicit features of that place (for you)? Is it doable for you, or just a fantasy?
Well, "Right where I am" because I already made the move in Jan. 2000 that you brought up.

I got rid of everything - except books, CD´s, a half dozen decorative items and my clothes. It was just barely doable, but I had decided that I did not want to crawl off to some place in the U.S. that I was not truly interested in living in.

My considerations were a calm, non-strident social climate (unlike what the U.S. has become), warm to cool weather year 'round, on the sea, a language I might reasonable expect to gain some competence in, preferably not an American ex-pat colony, ability to do some traveling to other short-haul countries.

It has worked, and I made money in retirement selling a couple of homes, changing currencies, and a very small amount of investing. And now it is off to lunch a little café on a cliff overlooking the sea and bay with a view of the hills as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 07:18 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,534,878 times
I like wild contrasts in terrain and seasons. I am energized by weather that is BIG, whether a snowstorm or a hurricane . . . and I like big trees, big water, big thunder.

I am happiest when in what I feel to be a "pulsing energetic area" - and like to switch between vistas, so my ideal would be part time in the mountains and part time at the coast. Not sure I really care what country, but as things would have it presently, that would be the USA and NC specifically. But I dream of painting on a precipice in sunny Spain and watching the aurora borealis in icy Finland, lol. How crazy is that?

Old 03-13-2014, 07:20 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,534,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Well, "Right where I am" because I already made the move in Jan. 2000 that you brought up.

I got rid of everything - except books, CD´s, a half dozen decorative items and my clothes. It was just barely doable, but I had decided that I did not want to crawl off to some place in the U.S. that I was not truly interested in living in.

My considerations were a calm, non-strident social climate (unlike what the U.S. has become), warm to cool weather year 'round, on the sea, a language I might reasonable expect to gain some competence in, preferably not an American ex-pat colony, ability to do some traveling to other short-haul countries.

It has worked, and I made money in retirement selling a couple of homes, changing currencies, and a very small amount of investing. And now it is off to lunch a little café on a cliff overlooking the sea and bay with a view of the hills as well.
I get it and admire you for making it happen!

Old 03-13-2014, 07:54 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,862,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Densi52 View Post
I'd like to live out my remaining years in a charming, funky beach cottage in...oh, let's say...Carmel or Monterey but the town would never be crowded despite the delightful bakeries, shops and restaurants.

Total fantasy for me, unfortunately.
If this is a fantasy due to finances, you may want to check farther up the coast. Lot of affordable beach communities with funky beach cottages, delightful bakeries, shops, and restaurants.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:58 AM

I want to spend it strolling around the edge of the water with our dogs, with friendly, outrageous neighbors, in a comfortable home with lots of bookshelves, with the duh hubby watching football/Nascar/hockey in his man cave, where the kids are comfortable in visiting in the summer and over the holidays, with an indoor pool and exercise facility.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 03-13-2014 at 08:59 AM..

Old 03-13-2014, 09:20 AM

262 posts, read 308,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If this is a fantasy due to finances, you may want to check farther up the coast. Lot of affordable beach communities with funky beach cottages, delightful bakeries, shops, and restaurants.
Morning! What little communities are you thinking about, please?

Old 03-13-2014, 09:46 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,984,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I want to spend it strolling around the edge of the water with our dogs, with friendly, outrageous neighbors, in a comfortable home with lots of bookshelves, with the duh hubby watching football/Nascar/hockey in his man cave, where the kids are comfortable in visiting in the summer and over the holidays, with an indoor pool and exercise facility.
and where would that be...the edge of what body of water?

Old 03-13-2014, 09:55 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,846,775 times
We've been in Florida (Central) for 40+ years, but, within the past 3-years, moved to North Florida (Panhandle). It's cold here ... and when the grandkids get a little older, we may finish it out back in Central Florida.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Densi52 View Post
Morning! What little communities are you thinking about, please?
No problem.

9 Towns to Visit During Your Oregon Coast Road Trip

I've visited several of these towns and unless prices have skyrocketed in the last few years, they may be just what you are looking for.

12 great coastal California towns - Get Lost
Dream towns in California - Coastal Living

Many of the California coastal towns seem on the spendy side, but maybe up closer to Oregon.

Dream towns in the Pacific Northwest - Coastal Living

As you get up into Washington, there are no end of sweet towns, but the weather is not quite as pleasant as further south. Still.

10 unsung beach towns on the West Coast - SFGate

Good luck with finding your dream.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:00 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,984,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
We've been in Florida (Central) for 40+ years, but, within the past 3-years, moved to North Florida (Panhandle). It's cold here ... and when the grandkids get a little older, we may finish it out back in Central Florida.
Cold, as in what temps? (there is cold, and there is cold ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement