Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 01:40 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,572,819 times

Advertisements

Most of the countries where you have the same language, no big cultural differences, stable governments, and good healthcare (New Zealand, Australia, Canada) also have very strict and INTELLIGENT immigration policies, unlike America. So ex-pat wannabes are often shocked when they find that countries like NZ and Australia, only let immigrants in who can speak English, have no health problems, have a certain amount in savings to support themselves, will invest $$ into their country ( I think in NZ it is $300,000), are educated, are skilled in something the country needs, and have no criminal records.

It's not that easy to immigrate into other countries as it is to America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 01:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Often in those countries its more a case of sticker shock that prevent moving to them often for retirees. Most retirees are looking for cheaper country where they are the well off American in my experience. not really I different than I retirement areas in US.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:42 PM

87 posts, read 210,602 times
I've lived and traveled overseas, often as a member of the US Government. First in the Army, after WWII, where I was very young, but somehow got up the courage and gumption to travel around some European countries. That experience definitely led me to my career as a Foreign Service Officer which gave me a very good look at living overseas, if you are not working for Uncle Sam. Most of my time was in Latin America, except for two years where we (my new bride, a Latina and I) were, believe it or not, assigned to San Francisco, CA. Did the State Department consider it a foreign post? No, and there was no housing allowance in that very expensive city for two young, more or less broke, newlyweds. As it turned out it was very foreign when we arrived at the height of hippiedom and then anti-Vietnam war protests. Being newly married, and generally in shock, we still enjoyed this overseas post.
Back to foreign shores: Amazing to me, to this day, were the number of Americans living overseas. They didn't seem to take it as some big deal about taxes, politics or whatever. Most I met were working, but enough were retired that I could see they hardly fit one mold. Surely, those who seemed to be enjoying their life, spoke the language and understood the culture. At that time, in fact, the US was just waking to the fact that Americans did not know much about the rest of the world and would act badly fairly often when visiting or living overseas.
Early in my career and adult life, Americans could retire to the best parts of Europe and live a good life as the American dollar was worth so much. People with some savings or retirement income, even social security, could live nicely, especially if they knew the local language. That all changed, of course, and now the idea for many is to find a less costly place to live or, at least, to get maximum milage from their retirement savings and income. So, a nice place in Costa Rica, Panama and Mexico, among others, looks awfully good for many people.
I thought I might retire down below the border as well, but as I grew older, it seemed better for me to stay in the US and travel on vacation to other countries. My wife had passed away, and starting life alone in another country just seemed impossible to me.
BTW anyone thinking they must give up US citizenship, or should give it up, needs to consult carefully with the US Consulate in their new country, and with their own personal financial/tax advisors. Every country and everyone's situation is different, so this should be done in relation to where you are going to live outside the USA.
Anyway, this thread is interesting to read. I knew that I could get Canadian citizenship, if I wanted, but not Irish! Haha. I can not even understand English spoken by Irish either in Boston or Dublin.
Let's hope we all live long enough to enjoy our good ol' USA and some neat places over there…..

Old 05-26-2014, 04:09 PM

13 posts, read 14,922 times
Several excellent answers on this site---thanks for posting all. The Midwest does have several excellent cities/college towns to live in, but they're mostly quite pricy. And cold.

The US is a very difficult country to age in. It's optimal from 25 to 65. Before 25 there's too many non-educational distractions and too few apprenticeship programs. After 65 the society does all it can to marginalize/ghettoize the majority of its post 65 year olds.

Having EU citizenship, I'm out of here in 7 years. I've worked in 8 countries and visited over 50. Maybe because I'm an outsider, but the US seems to be losing its sense of community. It's 330 million people held together by self-interest and the constitution. As I age, I'm sure the hustle and energy I have will dissipate. I'm already no longer thinking about women 90% of the time, (I've cut it down to 70%). At that time, I'll still want to be in society and challenged, but not have to drive everywhere and be surrounded by people talking about their health and grandchildren.

I remember working on a real estate development that was beautiful. Isolated and pristine, it was an outdoorsman's dream.
The project collapsed as no women wanted to live there. My experience with growing up as a UK military brat is that women generally don't travel well. Men have less of an issue.

In short, if you're a woman, or a man for that matter, who's attached to house, home and family. Don't move. It'll make everyone miserable. Be honest with yourself about that. I lived in NYC for 4 years and hired quite a few people for our firm. I never hired anyone for whom it was their first move away from home. People were crying to move back to St. Louis, Toronto or Milan six months or less after they hit the ground.

In short, if you've never left the States. Spend 3-6 months in another country as a chameleon. Put your US frame of reference to one side. After 6 six months when you come back home---if you feel relief, an ex-pat move probably isn't the right thing to do.

People decide with emotion and justify with facts. If it doesn't feel right, don't do it. It's like getting married in that way.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:10 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Arbor Non-golfer View Post
Several excellent answers on this site---thanks for posting all. The Midwest does have several excellent cities/college towns to live in, but they're mostly quite pricy. And cold.

The US is a very difficult country to age in. It's optimal from 25 to 65. Before 25 there's too many non-educational distractions and too few apprenticeship programs. After 65 the society does all it can to marginalize/ghettoize the majority of its post 65 year olds.

Having EU citizenship, I'm out of here in 7 years. I've worked in 8 countries and visited over 50. Maybe because I'm an outsider, but the US seems to be losing its sense of community. It's 330 million people held together by self-interest and the constitution. As I age, I'm sure the hustle and energy I have will dissipate. I'm already no longer thinking about women 90% of the time, (I've cut it down to 70%). At that time, I'll still want to be in society and challenged, but not have to drive everywhere and be surrounded by people talking about their health and grandchildren.

I remember working on a real estate development that was beautiful. Isolated and pristine, it was an outdoorsman's dream.
The project collapsed as no women wanted to live there. My experience with growing up as a UK military brat is that women generally don't travel well. Men have less of an issue.

In short, if you're a woman, or a man for that matter, who's attached to house, home and family. Don't move. It'll make everyone miserable. Be honest with yourself about that. I lived in NYC for 4 years and hired quite a few people for our firm. I never hired anyone for whom it was their first move away from home. People were crying to move back to St. Louis, Toronto or Milan six months or less after they hit the ground.

In short, if you've never left the States. Spend 3-6 months in another country as a chameleon. Put your US frame of reference to one side. After 6 six months when you come back home---if you feel relief, an ex-pat move probably isn't the right thing to do.

People decide with emotion and justify with facts. If it doesn't feel right, don't do it. It's like getting married in that way.
What an intelligent and rational analysis, Ann Arbor Non-golfer. Very insightful. I differ somewhat with the sentence I bolded. I think it's less that "society does all it can to marginalize/ghettoize the majority of its post 65 year olds" (as if somehow against their will), and more that post 65 year olds marginalize and ghettoize themselves. THEY have chosen all those age-restricted communities because that's what they like; they have freely chosen them. I am 70 and those communities are not my cup of tea, but I do see that they have certain advantages for a lot of people. I am not ghettoized because I have chosen to live in a normal community with a mix of retirees, middle-aged people, and young people just starting their families. I prefer it that way.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:22 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
I'm waiting for USA Release 2.0 to pop up (maybe on some other planet?).

Until then, it's home sweet home for me.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:25 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
There is no place in the USA I'm really wanting to live, and I have no loyalty that I feel obligated to remain a US citizen. However, we have family ties, so moving out of the country is a no go. If I had my druthers, I'd move someplace like Chile or Uraguay,

Old 05-27-2014, 07:19 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,770,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
Good for you. I agree that trying to learn a language is great brain exercise, but it's tough to become fluent in a new language in old age, I think...
That it is! I know Spanish and find Italian is coming along okay. But French? Probably the most difficult mental gymnastics I've ever attempted. Even though it's a related Romance language, it is not coming easily at all. However, I'm not giving up.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:47 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
Question for those who are seriously considering this. Would you move out of the country permanently and die overseas ?

I ask because I know of several families, both related and not, who moved to FL & AZ when they retired.
They stayed for 17-20 years. Now in their frail mid /late 80's, they have all, except the youngest person, moved back home to be with family.

So how many of you potential ex-pats would be willing to die in a nursing home, etc. someplace where you were not fluent in the language ? If you're part of a couple now, would you want to live alone overseas in your 80's-90's when you are a widow/widower ?

Old 05-27-2014, 07:53 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I found out a few years ago that I am eligible for UK citizenship because my mom was born there (just have to file some paperwork and go through a "citizenship ceremony" over there, which I hope to do in 2015). We lived in England for 3 years when I was a kid (stepdad was in the Air Force and was stationed there), and after I found out I was eligible for citizenship I started thinking about retiring over there. Retirement is >15 years away, and I doubt that I really will move there, but I like the idea of having OPTIONS.

I currently live and work in New Hampshire and will definitely be here until retirement. I love my house and my neighborhood, but property taxes are insane and may very well be $10,000/year for my current house by retirement time, so it may be time for someplace new by then. I expect my current house (and another house that I still own but am renting out) to be paid off by retirement, and I'll have a 403(b) and SS, so I should be able to live comfortably SOMEWHERE (I don't have extravagant tastes at ALL).
You are very lucky. You can live anywhere in the EU! So many choices!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement