Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 04:55 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times

Advertisements

Our U-Verse does that, and there's no extra fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 04:58 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
My Dell is almost five years old now. The main problems I have with it is that it seems to do things on it's own that I don't know how to fix. I've lost my toolbar, I can't cut and paste, TONS of links won't work when I click on them...including in my e-mails! My brother is our computer guru but he never seems to have time to look at it. I even have the app so he can do it from home but he's hard to catch up with. I need to just take the thing to his house and leave it there.

I can get a nice PC at Walmart for less than $375. But, like you, I don't want Windows 8 or a touch screen. I'd get a laptop if I did though.
My desktop died and I was forced to learn Windows 8. I did get a laptop and I love it and the program.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:26 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Wow.

I was just watching TV, and suddenly the phone rang and at the same time the caller's name and phone number just appeared on the TV screen!
I don't watch much TV, so don't know how long it's been happening. My husband said he's seen the same thing happen.
Anyone know what this is about?
I'll have to check to see if we are being charged for some new service we don't want.
That happened to me a couple of years ago when I used to have Comcast cable and phone service. It came as quite a surprised to me too because I had no idea they had added it to my service.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:18 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Wow.

I was just watching TV, and suddenly the phone rang and at the same time the caller's name and phone number just appeared on the TV screen!
Was it easy to read? I think this would be great for older folks who have a hard time seeing the small caller id number on the phone itself........... and for me, too

I have a large caller id/clock on my desk. I really like it. I can see at a glance who's calling, even without my glasses.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:30 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,572,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
Was it easy to read? I think this would be great for older folks who have a hard time seeing the small caller id number on the phone itself........... and for me, too

I have a large caller id/clock on my desk. I really like it. I can see at a glance who's calling, even without my glasses.
Yes, it was quite large and very easy to read. I was just shocked at suddenly seeing my next door neighbor's name flashing on our TV screen.
At first I was angry at another invasion of privacy and tech invasion, but now I am thinking it is a good way to tell if the call is important enough to go get it on the landline. We don't have a cell phone.

We do have a bundled service, so I guess it is now included with the caller ID part.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:08 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,651 times
Thanks, mountainrose. I think this would be great for my neighbor who is hard of hearing and often has the tv up so high that she misses the phone.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
What operating system are you using? Is it Windows 7? My old PC won't take more than 2 Gb of memory which doesn't seem like enough these days.
My apologies, I didn't see your questions sooner. My platform is XP. I had more memory installed when I had it repaired last fall but I don't remember how much. I'll have to look at the stats when I boot it up next time.

I have Word 7 which I kind of regret switching to. I tried to go back to my old Word program, whatever came before that, but try as he might, my computer guru told me he was unable to transfer back my files. I use Outlook as my default email program.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post

The brief time I had it before I dumped the cable service I made use of it. It only appears long enough to read and it was much easier for my old eyes than the little caller ID screen. I don't know whether or not Comcast charged more for it. It seemed they were always adding charges onto my bill for features I didn't need which is why I quit them in the first place. This one, however, was one I liked because both the eyes and the ears don't work as well as they used to.

As some people age and begin to have impaired hearing or eyesight, technology can be their friend. It's a good example of my philosophy that if the latest gadget is helpful and useful, I'm all for it.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:13 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
I found this hilarious at the time. A best friend from where we transplanted along with our wives and another couple had just had a post Thanksgiving dinner at his house. He is in a wheel chair and doesn't get out much but we talk on the phone multiple times a week. He had just gotten his first Iphone and was very much the novice with it. Apple has FaceTime for its smart devices and you can just hit a person phone number if you want and automatically have video chat with them. After dinner while still at the table my friend took his phone out and started playing with it. I was sitting next to him and couldn't resist calling him on Facetime just to see if he was familiar with it. He wasn't. His phone rang and when he looked down jumped up more than he has in years and said What the H, how the H is what is going on. I said what is it? He said your picture is on my phone moving. Sitting next to him I started talking in my phone and he could hear me next to him and in his speaker phone. After a few oh my Gods and looking at me I had to explain to him what it was and what I had done. Others said that's great now you can see each other when you call. He failed to appreciate that possibility and we continued on but it was hilarious to folks.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:59 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/still-on-...911845810.html

Advice on the April 8 expiration of Windows XP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement