Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 06:58 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

Roughly half of all U.S. families have no money set aside for retirement, Federal Reserve data show. Not a cent. But even that alarming savings deficit doesn't fully capture the emerging socioeconomic crisis facing what is, after all, a rapidly graying nation.

Danger zone: America's retirement system is breaking down - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 08:18 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
Yes, read this today too on CBS. Seems like a really tilted seesaw.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:53 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times
Absolutely crappy "news" coverage. This article is long on sensational gloom and doom and very, very short on facts. I tried to check on some of the few facts cited and got nowhere.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:10 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Absolutely crappy "news" coverage. This article is long on sensational gloom and doom and very, very short on facts. I tried to check on some of the few facts cited and got nowhere.
Well it is doom and gloom coverage, and no clue as to the sampling methods for their "study." Curious to know which "facts" you tried to research.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:29 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,224,933 times
(shrug)

Not a surprising story, I wonder what policy changes they'd like to see happen to address the issue. It has been substantially reported and discussed the past few years, and I don't think it is a surprise to read this today.

Increasing the savings rate a little wouldn't really fix the problem, instead of instantly being poor the unfortunate individuals would still end up being poor just a few years later.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:54 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
My son took a journalism course in our local community college. His instructor told them to make up statistics if they could not find any to prove the point. He suggested that no one ever checks up on them. Glad he was wrong.

I am a little tired of the doom and gloom. And I am not in the least worried the money won't last. The only difference I see between SS and the food stamps everybody seems to be getting is that we and our employers paid into the system before we started taking out. Our friends and someday we will drop like flies. We have several funerals we could go to each month.

The money is being redistributed as we pay to have our needs met. Have you ever noticed that they never mention stopping sending money to other countries that will just be a drain. We are the only problem our children have to be burdened with.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:21 AM

106,707 posts, read 108,880,922 times
another the sky is falling inaccurate report.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:18 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Just wait until the people in their 20s-30s today reach retirement age, if you are still around then. With the probable end of Social Security before then, the trend toward 401Ks rather than pensions, and the fact that people wait to long to start saving for retirement, they are likely to be in far worse shape than those retiring in the next 10-20 years. Even those that work where a pension is offered won't likely qualify for much since they tend to change jobs so often now. Whether you get 1% or 8% return on your investments makes little difference if you don't start saving for retirement until you are in your 50s.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:36 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,960,086 times
I wonder if major factors in this whole situation is just a sense of entitlement and lack of personal responsibility. For most of history most people worked until they could no longer work and retirement often was a few years relying on family, church, or charities until death. Planned retirement is a fairly new development and the expectation that support was going to come from somewhere but yourself is also a fairly recent mindset. Unplanned problems and even tragedies will happen and life is about dealing with them.

It seems that in the last century society has evolved a dependent point of view that cannot work well over the long term.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:52 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I wonder if major factors in this whole situation is just a sense of entitlement and lack of personal responsibility. For most of history most people worked until they could no longer work and retirement often was a few years relying on family, church, or charities until death. Planned retirement is a fairly new development and the expectation that support was going to come from somewhere but yourself is also a fairly recent mindset. Unplanned problems and even tragedies will happen and life is about dealing with them.

It seems that in the last century society has evolved a dependent point of view that cannot work well over the long term.
I wonder about this myself. On the other hand I sometimes think people just give up. I think it is harder than ever to succeed in our society. I think about my grandfather. He was a starving peasant illiterate farmer in a poor rural area of Italy. He came to the US, worked in the steel mills for close to nothing, literally walked and begged his way across the US and eventually made a lot of money with a small farm. My grandma lived into her late 90's with plenty of money to support her simple lifestyle. All of the 6 kids were given a good start in life and eventually also got a decent inheritance. I worked hard and had the advantages of college and graduate education. I always seemed to struggle and had a hard time getting ahead. I think taxes have a lot to do with it. My grandfather worked and kept his money. I worked, made more and paid more and more taxes. I guess I also feel entitled. I will not be upset if I run out of resources and the government has to take care of me in my old age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement