Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:06 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
I looked at dental only plans last night on line. There was ONE in my geographic area that partially covered crowns and root canals, with a $1000 max per year, and covered your basic clean and check, and part of x-ray costs. Interestingly, it was less expensive than the dental plan I pay $30 per month for at work, with slightly better benefits (ie no deductible). Unfortunately, the providers in my area who will accept it are not places I would want to get dental care......so back to the drawing board. Will keep looking. If anyone finds a decent individual (not employer) dental plan, please let me know, okay? I wont be able to keep working forever, but I do plan on having my teeth, LOL!!!
The best plan IMHO is the one offered by your dentist. If you can find one. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 11:48 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
DH and I have some very limited dental insurance with the federal employees BC/BS insurance we have secondary to our Medicare coverage. It's hardly worth considering, though, as the coverage is extremely limited and the reimbursements seem little more than the cost of a stamp to mail them the bills ( exaggerated, I know, but they really are a joke), and none of the dentists around here accept that insurance anyway. I'm in the process of looking for dental insurance that the dentist I go to will accept, his office gave me a list. Unfortunately most of what's on the list is available only to employers, not to individuals or family members.
As a federal employee or retiree, you don't need to rely on your BCBS health insurance plan for dental coverage; you're eligible to purchase dental insurance under the BENEFEDS FEDVIP program. And it doesn't matter if your dentist accepts the insurance or not, your FEDVIP plan will reimburse you directly if your dentist doesn't accept the insurance. Now, admittedly, the reimbursement will be at a lower percentage rate if you go to an out-of-network dentist, but you'll still have coverage that is far superior to the miniscule amount provided by BCBS. Here's some info on all of the available plans in case you aren't familiar with the program:

https://www.benefeds.com/Portal/Educ...piccarrierinfo

https://www.benefeds.com/

Old 04-08-2014, 11:55 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's a really good idea, the four cleanings a year. Unfortunately most people don't have dental insurance--I don't know anyone who has it now that we're retired. Even the 6 month check up and cleaning is expensive. Oh well. Floss, floss, floss.
One way to mitigate the cost is to schedule an additional cleaning or two during the year, but don't undergo the dental exam. When you go in for a cleaning, your bill will normally consist of two charges: one for the hygienist who performs the cleaning, and one for the professional examination performed by the dentist. You can go in for just the cleaning, but not have the dentist perform the exam afterwards. I normally get my teeth cleaned every 3-4 months, but I only have the dentist examine my mouth twice a year.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:18 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
One way to mitigate the cost is to schedule an additional cleaning or two during the year, but don't undergo the dental exam. When you go in for a cleaning, your bill will normally consist of two charges: one for the hygienist who performs the cleaning, and one for the professional examination performed by the dentist. You can go in for just the cleaning, but not have the dentist perform the exam afterwards. I normally get my teeth cleaned every 3-4 months, but I only have the dentist examine my mouth twice a year.
Now THAT'S a good idea. Just the cleaning.

(I just started with a new dentist today and she is wonderful. I go back in a month--senior discounts too, thank goodness.)

Old 04-08-2014, 04:46 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Puts me in mind of an old joke about which part of the body is the boss........

Seriously, what I would be most concerned with, dental wise, is periodontal diseases/gum infections, because those are some bad bugs involved in those infections that can spread into the bloodstream from the infected gums, and cause endocarditis, pericarditis, and even joint infections sometimes.

But I guess like your teeth issues, treatment of hemorrhoids can involve a variety of choices, from over the counter products, to surgery......
You're right IMO about the consequences of oral/teeth infections. Which is why one poster here a ways back mentioned having (presumably infected) teeth removed before some major surgery.

Hemorrhoids - I could say the obvious - like they're a PITA . But they don't hurt. Just bleed. I've had lap banding - which worked for a while - then failed. Will probably try the lap banding again. The problem with surgery is one possible surgical complication is fecal incontinence. Don't ever want to deal with that . Robyn

Old 04-08-2014, 04:53 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
At my husband's dentist - he gets cleanings 3x/year - for about $100/pop - and the dentist doesn't look at anything unless the hygienist (or whatever the person is called) thinks there's anything for the dentist to look at. On may part - my prosthodondist personally does my cleaning 2X year - at a cost of $150/session. And - if he sees anything - he sets up a consult between him and my oral surgeon. There's more than one way to skin a cat. Robyn

Old 04-08-2014, 08:12 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
As a federal employee or retiree, you don't need to rely on your BCBS health insurance plan for dental coverage; you're eligible to purchase dental insurance under the BENEFEDS FEDVIP program. And it doesn't matter if your dentist accepts the insurance or not, your FEDVIP plan will reimburse you directly if your dentist doesn't accept the insurance. Now, admittedly, the reimbursement will be at a lower percentage rate if you go to an out-of-network dentist, but you'll still have coverage that is far superior to the miniscule amount provided by BCBS. Here's some info on all of the available plans in case you aren't familiar with the program:

https://www.benefeds.com/Portal/Educ...piccarrierinfo

https://www.benefeds.com/
Thanks, MM, for the information and links. Now that you mention it, once upon a time I knew we did have access to the same dental insurance that federal employees do, ( my DH is a federal retiree), but I had dismissed it as something we didn't need ( silly me), and proceeded to put it out of my mind. It looks like there are several plans there that my dentist does take, so I wouldn't even have to find a new dentist when we sign up for a plan.

From what I can gather from the information, we have to wait until the insurance open season to sign up for one of these plans, I think that's in November.

I guess we are very lucky to still have employer dental coverage available to us- at least for now....

Old 02-27-2018, 09:13 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTexan's View Post
I forgot to add that dental services in Nuevo Progreso Mexico is MUCH cheaper if you are ever down in Texas. It's the one place in Mexico we feel safe but we stay on the road with the restaurants, drug stores, dentist etc. It's 1 1/2 blocks across the bridge to the dentist and no gang of thugs is waiting to grab you. A LOT of seniors go over to save money on various things.
What dental clinic did you go to? Husband and I are planning a visit to Progreso Nuevo for dental work in April or May.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:26 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
4 year old thread.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:42 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,510,564 times
TwoTexan's last post was in 2014. His location says "account deleted".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement