Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 07:15 AM

110 posts, read 456,814 times

Advertisements

We are about 5 years from retirement and are considering moving to a new town after we retire. We are happy and have a great life where we are, but would like to more to a smaller safer town. Our kids no longer live here.

Has anyone moved after retirement?
Was it a good move, or do you regret it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 08:22 AM

813 posts, read 1,135,392 times
I moved to South America after I retired. Great move, got a new wife,got a new life, as the song goes!

Old 06-12-2014, 08:37 AM

4,794 posts, read 10,638,763 times
We moved from just outside NYC to the mtns of far western NC...
Built a house and moved in just after 9-11, which was coincidental not tragic event driven.

We spend winters in SW FLA, the past several years.

Most difficult aspect was moving away from our adult kids, but we make the car trip back to NY/NJ a few times a year to see them. That was/is the only downside for us. Loved NYC and metro NY, love it here in the NC mtns. Was tired of the metro NY rat race and appreciate the pace and lifestyle here.

Every move is a trade off of some kind, imo.
GL, mD

Old 06-12-2014, 09:01 AM

983 posts, read 2,548,126 times
I am always curious about that.. why would you move after you retire? is it just to have a new start or looking for cheaper place. I was thinking of moving closer to my family when I retire since I live far from them now. I will be looking for a cheaper place since I will not be making as much as I am now.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:10 AM

11,179 posts, read 16,054,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfeet888 View Post
Has anyone moved after retirement?
Was it a good move, or do you regret it?
Yes, yes, & no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
I am always curious about that.. why would you move after you retire?
Well, when you're employed, you need to live where your job is. (Of course, there are a few exceptions: telecommuting, etc.)

When I retired, I moved to Las vegas because I enjoy the lifestyle and wanted to be able to play poker whenever I wanted. I also bought a condo in Miami Beach because I like 80 degree temps in February, as well as waking up to the soothing sounds of waves hitting the beach and the sight of women in bikinis.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:25 AM

31,689 posts, read 41,105,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Yes, yes, & no.

Well, when you're employed, you need to live where your job is. (Of course, there are a few exceptions: telecommuting, etc.)

When I retired, I moved to Las vegas because I enjoy the lifestyle and wanted to be able to play poker whenever I wanted. I also bought a condo in Miami Beach because I like 80 degree temps in February, as well as waking up to the soothing sounds of waves hitting the beach and the sight of women in bikinis.
If I remember right we retired and transplanted within days of each. In addition we share the common hobby of professional RBW members.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:30 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,867,269 times
You've said that you "are happy and have a great life" where you are, but, "would like a smaller, safer town". Unless the latter is much more serious and dangerous than you infer, it really doesn't sound like much of a reason for giving up a happy, great life.

Remember, the move will also distance you from your friends and acquaintances, at a time in your life where you will find it MUCH more difficult to establish a new circle of friends. Also, unless you are renting, you will have the major hassle and cost of disposing of your existing property, packing and moving all of your stuff - and locating suitable replacement property in your new location.

Many people talk about 'moving after retirement' as though it is as casual and easy as they remember past moves being (when they were working, actively involved in civic functions or had kids in the area). It is not; and simply moving, for the sake of moving, is not a well thought-out plan, nor likely to provide the 'Camelot' you may be seeking.

We moved about 3-years ago to get closer to family/grandkids. I had some serious concerns, such as those mentioned above (which have come to pass), but, my wife REALLY wanted to move, so I conceded. We love the grandkids and have made the best of the move, but, I'm not really happy with the colder weather (Panhandle of Florida), the horrific traffic, the loss of friends/acquaintances, oceanfront living, loss of local amenities (golf) and the loss of long-term ministry activities and contacts. But, we are here now and the area is one that most people find quite desirable - so, we will make it work.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:32 AM

6,612 posts, read 7,112,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
If I remember right we retired and transplanted within days of each. In addition we share the common hobby of professional RBW members.
Of RBW means "Relish Beautiful Women", can I join the club? Oh and for those that know me and that I am married to a beautiful woman, I might be getting old and I love my wife but I cannot help noticing women who are beautiful.

Last edited by oldsoldier1976; 06-12-2014 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: Caveate

Old 06-12-2014, 10:42 AM

11,179 posts, read 16,054,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Of RBW means "Relish Beautiful Women", can I join the club?
Or: Retired Bikini Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Oh and for those that know me and that I am married to a beautiful woman, I might be getting old and I love my wife but I cannot help noticing women who are beautiful.
Same here. But as the old saying goes, just because you're on a diet, it doesn't mean you can't read the menu. And down here on Miami Beach, that menu comes complete with international delicacies.

Oh, and my wife enjoys male-watching. Not to mention the attention she receives when she's one of the bathing beauties on the beach herself.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:01 AM

6,612 posts, read 7,112,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Or: Retired Bikini Watcher

Same here. But as the old saying goes, just because you're on a diet, it doesn't mean you can't read the menu. And down here on Miami Beach, that menu comes complete with international delicacies.

Oh, and my wife enjoys male-watching. Not to mention the attention she receives when she's one of the bathing beauties on the beach herself.

But I dont want to retire from bikini watching!

Reading the menu is always allowed and like your DW my wife gets attention when she is one of those as well. Funny though, she keeps telling me that she don't see the looks men give her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement