Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 04:07 PM

39 posts, read 85,983 times

Advertisements

My husband is 64, I'm 65. We got married later in life and neither one of us knew much throughout our lives about saving or investment. So here we are. If we're lucky we might end up with $250,000 in investments, $300,000 when we sell our home plus $3000 approx. from SS per month. We live in CA but are planning on moving to a small town in TN. I wonder if we can manage? I mean we have to manage but it is scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 04:09 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
no one can answer that . it is so complex that anyone who does without loads of details knows little about retirement planning.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:36 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
My mil does well on around $1400 a month in SS and a very small pension. With $3000 in income monthly, you are much farther ahead than minimum wage full time workers who earn less than $20,000 a year.

It all depends on your own costs and requirements. Set up you lifestyle simply and reduce outgoing monthly expenses. Do not overbuy or overrent. Minimize driving costs and find free or inexpensive entertainments.

Both spouses should be on board.

Dont buy/rent in too small a town that ends up not having the amenities/medical/shopping competition that you need to help keep costs down.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:39 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,237,430 times
Seems to me you are a lot better off than most people retiring. You can move to Tennessee and probably buy a house for cash, so no mortgage payment. $36,000 a year, plus, if you believe the retirement gurus, you can use 4% of your investment account per year, so thats another $10,000. I think most people could retire comfortably on $46,000 a year.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:50 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,685,983 times
Well, first and foremost, I wouldn't panic. As many people on this board are fond of pointing out, expenses play a big part in the equation. So, you should probably do a little homework which will go a long way toward answering your questions.

1. Figure out how much income your investments generate each year.

2. Figure out how much you spend on your needs. This includes things like food, shelter, utilities, medicine.

3. Figure out how much you spend on wants. This includes things like entertainment, and travel.

4. Add #1 above to your social security income and subtract #2 above. How much do you have left for #3 above and emergencies?

If you won't have enough to cover your living expenses, now would be a great time to start planning. Maybe you can work a little longer. Maybe you only need a part-time job. Maybe you want to investigate moving out of the country and living as an expat. Maybe you can take on a tenant. Maybe you can talk to a financial planner about buying an annuity to help protect you from running out of money. There are a lot of choices. There is also a lot of information available in books and on the Internet.

You have not really given us enough information to answer your question, but I bet you will be able to start finding answers for yourself now.

Best wishes.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:00 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
So, are you getting $50K out of your home, which when added to your investments will give you a total of $300K ... or are you getting $300K out of your home, in addition to $250K in investments? There is a big difference!

$3000 per month steady, monthly SS income, plus Medicare will keep you from starving and probably keep a roof over your head. If you actually own a home (Tennessee or other), the picture is certainly better. Otherwise, you can likely pull another $10-$20K out of your investments (if you have to).

You have been managing this far and are unlikely to suddenly fall into a scary financial hole with no food, water or light ... tomorrow. Nobody has any guarantees regarding the next 20-years.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:17 PM

896 posts, read 1,140,071 times
If you can manage with no debt, meaning paid off car,home and credit cards, you should be fine. Have a budget, and put it in writing.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:27 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
if you did not plan then it is crucial to live within whatever means you have. basically.

maybe you can try on of the relocation cost of living calculators and see where you can stay within your budget best

Old 08-08-2014, 05:40 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRobin4564 View Post
My husband is 64, I'm 65. We got married later in life and neither one of us knew much throughout our lives about saving or investment. So here we are. If we're lucky we might end up with $250,000 in investments, $300,000 when we sell our home plus $3000 approx. from SS per month. We live in CA but are planning on moving to a small town in TN. I wonder if we can manage? I mean we have to manage but it is scary.
You will have 36k in SS plus investment income. Let's say in the low 40's annual income. Could you live on that in Tennessee? Yes millions already do but and this is a big but. How much were you living on before? My guess is a lot more so it boils down to how adaptive are you and how quickly will you if you can.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:42 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,341 times
Default $3,000 a month? Be thankful !

Congratulations on your upcoming retirements! I know California is expensive, but Tennessee is MUCH cheaper. Just be sensible about life and you should be fine. Buy a home in a walkable location, learn the fine art of enjoying cheap entertainment, and try to limit travel. Keep only one car, if possible. Be mindful of medical expenses and don't skimp on a Medicare Supplement policy. Try to buy in a community with a hospital. Think about future home and yard maintenance 20 years from now and be careful what you buy. A three story Victorian with gingerbread might not be the choice now. It is easier/cheaper to buy now with a first floor bedroom and bathroom, or in an elevator condo, than to have to move twice! Will you be having a Boomerang kid and grandchild move back in? Visitors? Get a 3 bedroom home. Plan ahead and don't buy in an adult only community. Just buy an ordinary home in a regular neighborhood and stay put. Live modestly, make friends, and have fun.
You will be fine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement