Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 08:41 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times

Advertisements

when you have slain the dragon, the village, in fact, does not cheer and the beautiful princess does not, in fact, fall in love with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 09:28 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Default This works also

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
That cracked me up!!! I know some people who WOULD say something like that.
Actually, your post made me think about what I might sound like sometimes. When I meet someone who is retired I might ask them what they do with themselves all day... but I really do want to know, because I might want to retire in the next year or two and I am looking for ideas of things to do, but they might interpret it as criticism rather than curiousity.
So, when people say anything about you retiring just tell them "Well, it was either that or have a baby... and i am told I would hate that!"
Enjoy your leisure. You earned it.
strangers and neighbors are not as prone to being negatives as people you work with. At times I am just tell them I am doing what I was told. They look with a question expression and want to know by who and I tell them:
Money
Kiplinger
Smart Money
Fidelity
Motley Fool
Yahoo
etc

I tell them that the next thing I have to get down to T, is walking with my wife on the beach in May.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:39 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
But here I am in my first week, and I've had one big surprise. It's surprising how many people want to make you feel bad about retiring.
Tell 'em:

http://specialed.umf.maine.edu/Images/Go_Away_Big_Green_Monster_book.jpg (broken link)

Enjoy your retirement! Wish I were you...

Old 01-11-2008, 10:54 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,412,216 times
Just plain jealousy as they are saying. Like I said in previous post I now have 141 days and today I was told at work they didn't know what they are going to do without me. But this is something that I worked towards for years. I will see if they want to negotiate a part time job with them, I would really like to have lots of vacation.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:30 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,294,116 times
Quote:
It's so strange to hear thoughts like this, to realize that life here can be so stressful for some people that they feel a need to cut other people down.
I don't think it's just stress ... I think it's primarily jealousy that drives the need to tear other people down. And people can get very, very jealous ...

Let's face it ... you don't have to do the work grind anymore ... and they do.

Hell ... I'm jealous! LOL.

Congratulations on your retirement!

Last edited by sheri257; 01-12-2008 at 03:44 AM..

Old 01-12-2008, 06:34 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Yes, people do tell pregnant women all kinds of horror stories about giving birth and raising children. It is called tearing down someone else to make yourself feel better - not very nice.
That's so sad, what is wrong with people? That won;t make you feel better (And it's not good karma, either--I'm not "into" spiritualism but I do think there is something to be said for this. When you have a positive attitude towards others, it spills into your own life and you bring success to yourself. When you have an aggressive or sour attitude, your life never seems to go anywhere. I've seen it happen again and again.)

Old 01-12-2008, 06:37 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
when you have slain the dragon, the village, in fact, does not cheer and the beautiful princess does not, in fact, fall in love with you.
LOL, this would make a good fortune cookie.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:55 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
Quote:
That's so sad, what is wrong with people? That won;t make you feel better (And it's not good karma, either--I'm not "into" spiritualism but I do think there is something to be said for this. When you have a positive attitude towards others, it spills into your own life and you bring success to yourself. When you have an aggressive or sour attitude, your life never seems to go anywhere. I've seen it happen again and again.)
I absolutely agree with you. This way of looking at the world is a sign of maturity. Unfortunately, a lot of people have all the maturity of a 6 year old and are unable to muster anything approaching empathy.

I've always tried to live by the rule that I should be nice and helpful whenever I can and it doesn't present an undue safety risk to me. Then when I really need some help, someone will be there for me - doesn't have to be the same people. So far so good - it as always worked out that way.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:06 PM

746 posts, read 3,499,968 times
Happy retirement days to you! Ignore the poor souls who are still working their tails off and probably wondering if it is worth it.

When I tell people I have retired, I get the same sort of reaction, accompanied by a rapid retreat. I actually suspect they're thinking that they can no longer use me to advance their interests.

Whatever is going on, I'm not about to worry about it. I've been so busy I am wondering how I ever had time to fit a job in!

And remember this: nobody ever laid on their death bead and said: "I should have worked harder!"

Old 01-13-2008, 07:03 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
To my surprise, 2-3 people have acted offended! They seem to take it as a personal slap in the face, and say things like "you will hate it" "you'll be so bored you'll want to to die" "you're going to run out of money, you know..."

Well, they are just rude, normie. I am going to retire in June and I am counting the minutes. Tomorrow I have to walk over a mile in the freezing cold dawn to work and a snowstorm is predicted. Will I miss that ? Nosiree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement