Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 11:14 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times

Advertisements

Good one! And you are right the HOA does monitor the activity level of residents. Beware!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 12:16 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,798,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Some communities are sort of like all-inclusive vacations. You pay for the whole shebang in your HOA dues, whether you use it or not. Others are more like "a la carte". You pay low HOA dues and then pay for amenities separately...such as recreation/gym membership, dock fees, golf fees, etc.

I like to think of it like a restaurant, do you want to pay for the all you can eat buffet if you're only hungry for a lite lunch? And what if you are more active in your early retirement and as your health goes downhill and you no longer use those amenities? You don't want to be stuck having to pay for them.
The problem is that you limit yourself to a minority of the places if you insist on true a la ca carte pricing. I don't have hard numbers but IME most places it's all or nothing with one major qualifier - I don't consider an optional golf membership "a la carte". A few places do have pool and tennis clubs separate. But if they have a nice club house and enough activities that there is an organizer, expect the dues to reflect it. One caution about places that have tennis and/or swimming clubs as an option; sometimes they are open to anyone to join. There is a development near me that does that and a few people who live there are not real happy about it. The pool is a lot more crowded than you would expect from the size of the development.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:05 PM

11,128 posts, read 9,756,639 times
A la carte places are harder to find, and many are not true 55+ (I actually prefer that it's not), it just works out that most residents are retirees. Many of the true 55+ places (Del Webb, etc.) are way too rigid and "in your business" for us. We've already found our spot and are enjoying it very much.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:26 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
I got a real charge out of the OP first post and others who answered her with tongue in cheek.

I am loving retirement and I cannot for the life of me imagine myself "obeying" active vs active. I had to obey enough while working for a living. This is my time and I'm going to enjoy it any way I want to. I almost never commit to any thing because I might not like it after a month or 6.

There are those who like structure, there are those (me) who do not.

Do your own thing and have fun!

Old 05-08-2015, 02:32 PM

708 posts, read 721,324 times
I think you need a place that has activities that you like close. If that is a 55+ community great.
You always can say no. You are not work anymore, you don't have to say yes just because someone
asks. I think is it more do I like the community, is it close to shopping, restaurants? Nice neighborhood
with no drug dealers living next to you, barking dogs? Those are some of the things I consider. For most
of us, we do need activity to keep active and enjoy retirement.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:10 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I got a real charge out of the OP first post and others who answered her with tongue in cheek.

I am loving retirement and I cannot for the life of me imagine myself "obeying" active vs active. I had to obey enough while working for a living. This is my time and I'm going to enjoy it any way I want to. I almost never commit to any thing because I might not like it after a month or 6.

There are those who like structure, there are those (me) who do not.

Do your own thing and have fun!
I think the OP intended the post as "tongue in cheek" didn't she?

Old 05-08-2015, 04:29 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,798,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I think the tone was light but the desire for discussion was real. I could be wrong.

BTW, despite some of my earlier comments, I will be looking at places that have some level of activities; club house with some social nights, pool and a pier (I fish; not hung up on whether it is just a large pond or access to an inlet, but definitely want to be able to walk to a fishing spot). I would not be at all interested in subsidizing someone else's greens fees. Tennis courts are okay as long as I am not paying for a tennis pro. My point was and is that you need to try to find what you want without paying for too much extra.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:31 PM

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post

Yeah, I did, and I was doing my best to sound funny. Guess you didn't think it was.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:34 PM

Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvedTones View Post
I think the tone was light but the desire for discussion was real. I could be wrong.

BTW, despite some of my earlier comments, I will be looking at places that have some level of activities; club house with some social nights, pool and a pier (I fish; not hung up on whether it is just a large pond or access to an inlet, but definitely want to be able to walk to a fishing spot). I would not be at all interested in subsidizing someone else's greens fees. Tennis courts are okay as long as I am not paying for a tennis pro. My point was and is that you need to try to find what you want without paying for too much extra.

I agree with you CarvedTones. We need to think about what we are getting into before we get into it. I can't afford expensive entertainment of any kind, so will be checking out free or cheap.

I also agree that she may be wanting a serious conversation. I didn't see that at first because I thought she did a really funny post. But people sometimes hide behind funny.

You made a good point.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:28 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Since you have a little anxiety about this decision, take your time. Do due diligence, and be sure to visit at all times of the day.

I don't know what the differences are that you are concerned about, but you could always give yourself a year in retirement to figure out how you are likely to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement