Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 04:10 PM
ERH ERH started this thread

1,700 posts, read 2,531,204 times

Advertisements

My mother is terminally ill. She receives $612/month in SS benefits. My father receives $1,516/month. There is no other income. How will his benefit change after she dies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 04:19 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
it doesn't since he has the higher check. he only gets his check. that is the hard reality of losing a spouse. not only do you lose a check but now you have to file single as well and taxes are higher

Old 05-23-2015, 06:13 PM

Thanks, mathjak. I was afraid this is the case. I appreciate your quick confirmation.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:40 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,620 times
And, unfortunately, the last month's check will be taken back by SSA. For example, my father died on the 29th day of the month. At the beginning of the month he was doing fine -- driving, going to grocery store, volunteering playing music at nursing homes, just living life. Received his direct deposit SS check as usual. Then, went through the month, paying usual expenses. Then, toward the end of the month, started feeling bad and went to hospital. After couple of days, they determined his gall bladder should come out. Well, that did not go as projected and we lost him on the 29th. Funeral directors, as required by law, notify the SSA of deaths. Then someone at that end does the status change, and the money for the "current" month, which is really for the "previous" month, is taken back out of the account. I'm sorry you having to go through this with your mom. It is a hard time for you, and especially your dad. I glad you are there for him!

Old 05-23-2015, 06:53 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
And, unfortunately, the last month's check will be taken back by SSA. For example, my father died on the 29th day of the month. At the beginning of the month he was doing fine -- driving, going to grocery store, volunteering playing music at nursing homes, just living life. Received his direct deposit SS check as usual. Then, went through the month, paying usual expenses. Then, toward the end of the month, started feeling bad and went to hospital. After couple of days, they determined his gall bladder should come out. Well, that did not go as projected and we lost him on the 29th. Funeral directors, as required by law, notify the SSA of deaths. Then someone at that end does the status change, and the money for the "current" month, which is really for the "previous" month, is taken back out of the account. I'm sorry you having to go through this with your mom. It is a hard time for you, and especially your dad. I glad you are there for him!
You might be able to file an appeal about the last check going back.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:10 AM

all this is a reason that product we love to hate ,permanent life insurance can be quite important down the road.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it doesn't since he has the higher check. he only gets his check. that is the hard reality of losing a spouse. not only do you lose a check but now you have to file single as well and taxes are higher
Just to clarify -- since SS is the only source of income, is it necessary to file a return?

Old 05-24-2015, 04:47 PM

yes .

Old 05-24-2015, 04:55 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
Just to clarify -- since SS is the only source of income, is it necessary to file a return?
If that is your only income, maybe not. You'll have to check that at the end of the year.

My Mom receives survivor benefits and doesn't have to file.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:31 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
all this is a reason that product we love to hate ,permanent life insurance can be quite important down the road.
Absolutely.

Having SS come back and recapture a month of benefits has to bite especially with all the other expenses involved in losing a loved one.

It's not huge but it is enough to take care of final expenses and smooth the transition for my wife in the event something happens to me first. If I'm left it smooths things over for the kids.

It's whole life that I purchased through a fraternal organization I belong to but first let me say in terms of investment that is a horrible outcome but insurance should never be purchased as an investment but for the protection of loved ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement