Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 07:34 PM

426 posts, read 505,972 times

Advertisements

My doctor today just told me she considers me young. Me? I'm 63, about to be 64. She answered that 63 is young if you are in good health and active.

Just read an interview in the AARP magazine with Jimmy Carter, 90. He travels to 70 countries where he has projects going with the Carter Center. He bikes, he walks, he is an avid fisherman and outdoorsman and said his life is pretty much like it was 50 years ago.

You know retirement is all about changes, and often the change means moving. That's what people have been waiting and working towards- doing what they want and living where they want to be.

We moved from NJ to ME at ages 58 and 61. Best move ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 07:43 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
Both just turned 60 and will retire in a year. We have a different city/state/climate in mind but wonder if
61-62 is too old to make such a drastic change? Or do you just see it as an adventure of sorts?
Together it could be fun....Pick your new city/location carefully....too costly to make mistakes.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:44 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,648,683 times
Quote:
Both just turned 60 and will retire in a year. We have a different city/state/climate in mind but wonder if
61-62 is too old to make such a drastic change? Or do you just see it as an adventure of sorts?
Absolutely not.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:47 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,103,591 times
I will be 66 in 1 month. We moved from NYC to southwest TN 3 years ago. It is great. Huge change from the city to the middle of nowhere. We aren't even in a town, we are out in the county, surrounded by farms. It took a lot of getting used to but we did and we love it. We have peace and quiet, no neighbors we can see or hear, no car horns honking, trucks using jake brakes, etc.

It was scary - we knew no one, made a change from a huge city to not even in a town. But we looked at it as an adventure and it has been. We've gotten involved in animal rescue and have made friends of some of the nicest people and I now have a service dog I rescued and trained meeting even more people along the way.

Life is good - and interesting.

Too old? only if you believe you are.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:04 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,398,313 times
I feel much better about our plans - thanks to all!! I just don't personally know anyone who has made a big move after their early-mid 50s.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:29 PM

7,040 posts, read 6,289,652 times
Quote:
I feel much better about our plans - thanks to all!! I just don't personally know anyone who has made a big move after their early-mid 50s.
Just keep reading the forum. Single & moving to a new town is good. It's the second sticky. The first one, chat thread is excellent also.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:52 PM

16,074 posts, read 10,732,474 times
I did it alone at 64. The biggest challenge was the cost of the move ($6k) for 1000 miles. Downsize - downsize - downsize...you will have to part with stuff you thought you would never live without. That's part of the adventure, too.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:53 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,759,968 times
Quote:
We moved 8 years ago in our late 70s to be near a single daughter that had health problems. She died a year ago on Memorial Day. We are considering staying here or to move to be near other children in our mid and late 80s. Doctors say we are in excellent health, and don't look, act, or think our age.

Doctors and other experts tell us that 80, is the former 60 as to health, and ability to still do things. If you are in good health, you are only as old as you feel, or convince yourself you are.

Go for it, and you will find it is great.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:03 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,663,365 times
My husbands parents just relocated and bought a house, they had been living in an apartment for the last 10 years. His dad decided he wanted to garden and have a workshop again. They are 72!

Old 06-13-2015, 03:13 AM

563 posts, read 523,984 times
Quote:
I would say, probably yes, it is too late in life to change everything. Read on. I say this, as my parents did the same time when my parents decided to retire and relocate. You may not notice it, but your life is not where you live geographically, but where you live as in the community of people that you interact with all of the time. Your friends, and even benign people in your life, like the bank tellers, the server at the coffee chop, the checker at the grocery store, all of these people contribute to the quality of life you presently enjoy, especially your fiends.

My parents moved to Florida years ago. They lasted just over a year. When you only outlet is limited to only one person, that is an enormous task to fulfill the others needs. I think they would still be together had they had not have decided to move. You know your situation best. My dad now lives in a home. My mother lives with a lady she know from church. They never talk. But thats just my two cents. Good luck in whatever direction you decide to take.

Last edited by Hollywood55; 06-13-2015 at 03:24 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement