Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 01:18 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,252,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
That's not true. FICO scoring is 50% of a credit decision. The other 50% is loan type, existing lines, how credit is used and assets if applicable.
You forgot income. The single biggest reason retired people have trouble getting much credit is because their income is too low. Retirement income is almost always lower than employment income. Your score can be 850, but, without enough income, you won't get the credit for things you might want to buy, such as a condo or house near a beach or anything like that. Creditors figure nobody should spend more than about a third of their income on housing. But if you're retired near a beach, and have medical insurance covering everything, what do you need to spend much money on besides housing? They should figure it would make sense for a retired person to spend 75% of income on housing, in some situations. But no, because of the bad credit habits of younger people, a lot of retired people are shut out from what they could afford but can't because of those rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 02:09 PM

527 posts, read 1,409,051 times
Yes, this is very true.
I have 2 friends who wanted to wait to move into their retirment home.

They retired, searched out a retiremeent home but when they applied for a mortgage (not wanting to pay 100% cash), they had a very hard time getting a mortgage. The problem, no income (as the banks saw it).
They didn't count SS income, pension income or the size of the balance in a savings/brokerage acct.

No large national bank would talk to them
they had much easier time with local banks who were willing to work with them.
The smaller banks looked more favorablly on the loan when they agreed to automatic withdrawals from a savings acct.

So yes, the biggest problem for seniors to get a mortgage approval is not your FICO score, but income that counts as income.

Buy your retirement home before you guit your day job.
And don't tell the bank you are about to retire

Old 06-15-2015, 07:23 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,308,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
You forgot income. The single biggest reason retired people have trouble getting much credit is because their income is too low. Retirement income is almost always lower than employment income. Your score can be 850, but, without enough income, you won't get the credit for things you might want to buy, such as a condo or house near a beach or anything like that. Creditors figure nobody should spend more than about a third of their income on housing. But if you're retired near a beach, and have medical insurance covering everything, what do you need to spend much money on besides housing? They should figure it would make sense for a retired person to spend 75% of income on housing, in some situations. But no, because of the bad credit habits of younger people, a lot of retired people are shut out from what they could afford but can't because of those rules.
Yes, you are correct. I did forget about the income.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
All most require is tax returns showing income. That is also why self employed often have hard time proving income. Then with new credit standards they look at debt to income. But the advantage most retired have is ability to buy large equity by down payment. I have many friends retired who had no problem at all getting a mortgage with good credit ;large equity by down payment and income as shown on tax returns.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:51 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,528,145 times
Thanks to everyone for the thoughtful suggestions, although I don't plan to need any credit, it would'nt hurt to prepare for the unforeseen while I still have the ability to do something about it.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
We are talking mortgages here. I suggest you try to get a loan without two year verified income such as income tax forms. Then I suggest you read on what FICO is based on at their site. But then large equity by down payment can overcome many things in a fixed asset loan such as a home. This isn't pre Dodd-Frank days.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:15 PM

5,155 posts, read 3,762,104 times
If you are truly interested in getting and maintaining a high FICO score across all 3 bureaus all you have to do is pay your regular monthly bills online using 3 credit cards. Or just pay 1 bill. If you want to squeeze every last point out of your score go over to creditboards.com. You don't have to pay any interest to show credit card usage.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:00 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Mine was 828. I am not complaining, but I wonder why not 850? I owe nobody anything and I rarely use a credit card (have a Visa and Mastercard) other than my American Express Gold. I had also forgotten I opened a few store accounts like Lowes, Home Depot, Belk, Kohl's for discounts but I have never charged anything on them.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:25 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater1 View Post
They retired, searched out a retiremeent home but when they applied for a mortgage (not wanting to pay 100% cash), they had a very hard time getting a mortgage. The problem, no income (as the banks saw it).
They didn't count SS income, pension income or the size of the balance in a savings/brokerage acct.
That's not true at all.

And I should know considering my wife and I applied for and received a mortgage from a big bank when we bought our condo on Miami Beach three years ago. (We paid cash for the house in Las Vegas when we initially retired five years ago.) Not only did the qualifying income come from our pensions, but we also had to provide copies of all of our bank and brokerage account statements.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:44 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
That's not true at all.

And I should know considering my wife and I applied for and received a mortgage from a big bank when we bought our condo on Miami Beach three years ago. (We paid cash for the house in Las Vegas when we initially retired five years ago.) Not only did the qualifying income come from our pensions, but we also had to provide copies of all of our bank and brokerage account statements.
Bada Bing! Same storyline here. We didn't need to verify all assets as at a point pension, one SS income, credit score and partial assets were enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement