Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 10:45 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,381,599 times

Advertisements

I'm floored
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 10:46 AM

920 posts, read 932,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
The more hours you work, the more you build on your own SS benefit.....but if half of his is still more than your whole, then you get half of his...then in this scenario, all you've done was work more hours and produced more income. If the extra hours brings your SS benefit higher than his half, then you would collect your higher benefit amount, which would put you above your target of $1,875....nothing wrong with that....if you want, you can send me a monthly check for the overage
Thanks for this answer to my question If I could give away the exces$$, I would do that.
I appreciate your help.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
It appears that the main idea is to stay at no more than the $1875 level so that they would be qualified for some government assistance?

Is that the thought?
No Not in order to qualify for gov't assistance.

JUST In case. And only IHSS if necessary.

There just isn't any insurance policies out there I've found, without loopholes. So that's what we are left with. I've learned alot doing hospice 3 times this last two years.

Last edited by OutdoorsyGal; 07-09-2015 at 11:41 AM..

Old 07-09-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Effzee View Post
I believe so. I think specifically healthcare. Is that right OP?
I had a job which provided healthcare for some years
The job I have now provides my healthcare right now, he buys his own policy. We hardly go to the doctor anyhow

But it is a JUST IN CASE we need IHSS. IHSS is someone who comes into the house to cook, clean, shop take you to doctors appointments etc..bare minimum. You don't necessarily get all of this of course

Again, it is a just in case...but not part of my question

Last edited by OutdoorsyGal; 07-09-2015 at 11:01 AM..

Old 07-09-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
IHSS may not even be available by the time you retire and and are ill enough to require it. You realize, I hope, that one must be actually physically disabled to receive it. Are you planning on being disabled and low income? Why not take the extra hours, make some money and save it, and try and stay healthy in your old age? You have over 20 years ahead of you before you will be eligible for SS. Start saving NOW for a decent retirement instead of aiming to live in poverty.

This whole idea just sounds so screwy.
That is what I am doing ^^Yes i am very familiar with the IHSS program. Wise words that IHSS certainly may not be around by then.

We cycle pretty hard, riding with the bike shop a few times a week and ourselves once a week

We eat all organic whole foods. One of my earlier threads is asking about a town
known for it's Mountain Biking that we hope to move to after I finish caring for my father in law part time.
He is in hospice at the moment. My FIL used to be a County worker for IHSS, by the way.

We are healthier than most people. We eat very little meat, almost all organic whole food.
This is of course, the best insurance policy. To eat healthy, avoid drugs, and exercise. But you want to
do the best you can to ensure your future, just in case. Nothing is set in stone.
FTR, Just because you don't get it doesn't make it "screwy" to take no chances with your healthcare in your golden years
Also my job can move with us... to the town we are considering relocating to within 6-12 months

Last edited by OutdoorsyGal; 07-09-2015 at 11:43 AM..

Old 07-09-2015, 11:18 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,091,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
I cannot remember the formula now

But to ensure $1875 per month is the outcome, I believe I'd be filing at age 62, right when I can file

He'd be filing at age 70 FRA

But whenever or however we work it out to keep it about this number, I am just trying to get that down so we do not go over.

I don't think you can file for spousal until you reach FRA. I could be wrong though.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
I don't think you can file for spousal until you reach FRA. I could be wrong though.
I can file at age 62 for spousal benefits but the amount is supposidly reduced. That's what the SS website states

Of course if my own Social Security is more than 50% of his SS (Spousal benefits), that doesn't work. SS will make me take the higher of the two, SS on my own record. So I may never file at all. That's one option.

Or my husband could just NEVER file for his social security at all and we can live on on just my SS of $1875 per month.

Because after I work just 4-5 more years (or about that length of time) that is what I will have accumulated per month on my own SS record

Last edited by OutdoorsyGal; 07-09-2015 at 11:44 AM..

Old 07-09-2015, 11:42 AM

60 posts, read 51,608 times
Getting back to your original question - if you file early at 62, you will receive the earnings from whichever record will pay you the most, yours or your spouses. There will not be a choice, SS will select this automatically.

Do not calculate it as half of your spouses earnings if you are filing at 62. You are penalized a percentage for each month between 62 and your FRA.

If you wait to file until your FRA, you then DO have the choice of filing on your spouses record or on your own record.

Although it sounds like you are not interested, you can even file on the spouses record and suspend your own, allowing it to build to the higher payout amounts of delayed filing, about 8% a year until age 70. You can then switch to your earnings record.

ETA - posted at about same time as you - some of this you already know!

Last edited by lady400; 07-09-2015 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: Simultaneous posting

Old 07-09-2015, 11:47 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
You might want to check on whether you would be eligible for IHSS with $500K in assets. I think not.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:48 AM

I guess no one knows the answer to whether a person can flat out refuse to apply for social security their whole life.

Or whether it affects Medicare for that person who refuses Social Security....which I believe it doesn't considering that person followed their rules applying for medicare within the expected time-frame
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement