Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2015, 09:26 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,709,514 times

Advertisements

I spent last week in South Florida with its 95 degree heat and high humidity. That definitely was not for me. I got back to Long Island and 80 degree temperatures and felt like I was in an air conditioned room (like the way some of you set your thermostats).

I hate the cost of living here, but love the four seasons and how the temperatures are not extreme for any length of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 08:51 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
Phoenix broke a record yesterday at 117 degrees. What can I do about it? Not a darn thing.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:53 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
At 70, I get heat exhaustion, too. I'm talking about the temporary stuff where you just can't bear to go out in it another day, not the serious stuff.

To combat it, I try to stay acclimated. I take my daily 2 mile walk at about noon when it is hot and follow my walk with plenty of water while I sit outside. In our area, Mississippi, the hot days are about 100 degrees, and there is plenty of humidity to go around.

I recommend this approach. I have no idea how long I'll be able to do it like this, but these days the heat generally feels good, at least it does to me.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:04 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
Wish my trucks A/C would get cold faster. Being Red and in the sun all day makes that a tough task... I need a trip to somewhere very cold... very soon.
You may already know all this, but.......

An air conditioner can only drop the temperature about 20 degrees, at best.
*So if it's 100 degrees outside and 140 inside the car, use outside air for just a few minutes. I mean, what do you want - 80 degree air, or 120 degree air out of the duct? After just a few minutes when you have run the AC and got the temperature down to "tolerable" switch over to "Max" - in MAX, the inside air is recirculated so it gets progressively cooler and cooler. 40 degrees out of the register is the best you can ever do.

* When running the AC at MAX, point the vents up at the ceiling. What that will do is dislodge the hot air and get it circulating. The AC picks up air from a point low on the passenger side - that way the AC is supplied with the coldest air available.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:23 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
At 70, I get heat exhaustion, too. I'm talking about the temporary stuff where you just can't bear to go out in it another day, not the serious stuff.

To combat it, I try to stay acclimated. I take my daily 2 mile walk at about noon when it is hot and follow my walk with plenty of water while I sit outside. In our area, Mississippi, the hot days are about 100 degrees, and there is plenty of humidity to go around.

I recommend this approach. I have no idea how long I'll be able to do it like this, but these days the heat generally feels good, at least it does to me.
That is what I have been doing. I go out at 3 in the afternoon and work in the yard. We did move our evening walks to 7:30PM and it's nice and breezy.

I don't want this heat to beat me!!!

Really, I was a big whiner about the heat, but this thread made me not want to give in!!

Old 08-15-2015, 11:37 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
My turn to whine about the heat. I've been doing things to acclimate myself to these summer temps....only turn the AC on when it gets past 83...drive without it mostly. You'll recognize me if we pass on the road because I'll be the one with my window open (almost unheard of down here).
But when I turned it on a little while ago, it wouldn't run
Depending on how hot it gets inside, we'll see how acclimated I've gotten
But it's not really too bad today and some cooling storms look to be imminent.

Oh....right now from wunderground
88.1 °F
Feels Like 103 °F

Old 08-15-2015, 12:11 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-23 View Post
I spent last week in South Florida with its 95 degree heat and high humidity. That definitely was not for me. I got back to Long Island and 80 degree temperatures and felt like I was in an air conditioned room (like the way some of you set your thermostats).

I hate the cost of living here, but love the four seasons and how the temperatures are not extreme for any length of time.
I'm the opposite. I hate the 4 seasons and the perpetual gray skies.

Fall means bitter cold and gray skies winter is coming. Then there is bitter cold winters, then there is rainy spring and if we are lucky we'll have a short summer. In the last 10 years I'd sure like to know where that global warming is because it isn't here.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:22 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I'm the opposite. I hate the 4 seasons and the perpetual gray skies.

Fall means bitter cold and gray skies winter is coming. Then there is bitter cold winters, then there is rainy spring and if we are lucky we'll have a short summer. In the last 10 years I'd sure like to know where that global warming is because it isn't here.
Me too. I like crisp sunny winter days. We have a few days that hit below freezing, and snow maybe every ten years or so.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:36 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
I've learned that you can acclimate to a certain degree, but it only goes so far. After almost 20 years in Texas, I can tolerate hot weather better than I used to but not by much. I went for a walk in the Mall today, and was sweating. So I came home to cool off. We now have it locked on 76-77. I'm Ok with that, but anything over 80, this late in the summer, and its already too hot. I went out today and worked in the yard after lunch for 15 minutes and got physically ill(ache in arms and back), had to come inside to hydrate and cool off. We're definitely moving north after I retire.

Old 08-15-2015, 04:23 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I've learned that you can acclimate to a certain degree, but it only goes so far. After almost 20 years in Texas, I can tolerate hot weather better than I used to but not by much. I went for a walk in the Mall today, and was sweating. So I came home to cool off. We now have it locked on 76-77. I'm Ok with that, but anything over 80, this late in the summer, and its already too hot. I went out today and worked in the yard after lunch for 15 minutes and got physically ill(ache in arms and back), had to come inside to hydrate and cool off. We're definitely moving north after I retire.
It is now nearly 90 degrees at 6:30 p.m. in Southern New England. This was the first day this summer that I could not take the heat. I should've put the a.c. on but wanted to see if I could get through it at home. I did, but I slept most of the afternoon and am now groggy and unmotivated. That's what heat does to me. So you WILL get some brutal days, sometimes a string of them, up North, make no mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement