Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 06:55 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times

Advertisements

We've live in Texas now since 97, and in the south since 93. So thought I had adapted OK to the heat. But last week I got hit with a bought of heat stress. Now, my heat tolerance is completely gone. I'm sure it has to do with my age. As we get older, our ability to handle excessive heat or cold is diminished. Now I'm getting overheated after just taking a shower. I've just accepted that I can't take the heat anymore and we're looking north for retirement. Anyone else had this problem? Is it as bad with cold weather, where you just can't take it anymore physically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 07:03 AM

23 posts, read 29,618 times
I am in the same predicament. When I first moved to Florida from Maine 22 years ago, I had no problem with the summers. I drove an hour to work everyday and very rarely turned on my A/C in the car. My friend and I used to walk for an hour at lunch in the 96 degree heat with no problems. Now its a different story and I am finding myself less tolerable of the heat than ever. We are currently looking for a summer house up north, Upper Midwest area and keeping our Florida house for the winters, as I'm not enamored of going back to driving in snow and ice.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:10 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
We've live in Texas now since 97, and in the south since 93. So thought I had adapted OK to the heat. But last week I got hit with a bought of heat stress. Now, my heat tolerance is completely gone. I'm sure it has to do with my age. As we get older, our ability to handle excessive heat or cold is diminished. Now I'm getting overheated after just taking a shower. I've just accepted that I can't take the heat anymore and we're looking north for retirement. Anyone else had this problem? Is it as bad with cold weather, where you just can't take it anymore physically.
Do you have a.c.? Or are you talking about being outdoors?

I tolerate the summer heat better as I get older. That said, I could never live in the South, it would be too oppressive for too long a time. The cold winters are oppressive for me, too. Any extremes. The best is a moderate climate, if you can find it.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:47 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Head for the mountains !

Look at the ski resorts in New Mexico. They are dirt cheap in the summer and the weather is awesome.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:04 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
I'm also in Texas, and yes it is quite hot. But, don't worry in a few years when you are older, you will be bundling up! That is one thing I look forward to in old age.....lol

Old 08-06-2015, 08:08 AM

761 posts, read 832,733 times
Hopefully, not a tune up for Hell.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:18 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,535 times
Time to buy or rent a small condo in Ruidoso?

Old 08-06-2015, 08:44 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
The entire southwest, from California through Texas, has been more humid than normal so far this year. We so-cal weather wimps are Melting - Simply Melting!!!!!

Thing is, with climate changes this might be the new normal.

It's coming up from Mexico. Imagine how much worse the heat and humidity is down there.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:47 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
Quote:
My husband and I are feeling the same way and rethinking where we will camp in the future. We love AZ and really love our house, but the heat this year has been taxing. Depression sets in, I feel housebound most of the time now. Can't wait until Oct...I love Oct here.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:49 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
These are interesting links from the National Institute on Aging.
Some medications can exacerbate both extremes. And old age does too.

Hyperthermia: Too Hot for Your Health: https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/publication/hyperthermia
Hypothermia: A Cold Weather Hazard: https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/publication/hypothermia

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-06-2015 at 09:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement