Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2015, 02:37 PM

21,984 posts, read 13,030,638 times

Advertisements

I keep my house at 80, but it's a DRY heat indoors. I'm telling you, humidity is the whole story here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 02:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,161,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I am also looking for my 'cool' place after living in south Florida for 40+ years. ... I recently looked at the Realtor site for houses in Powell, WY. Wow, are they expensive! At least the decent looking ones are out of my budget. I looked into NM, but the state even taxes social security earnings I can't afford California, don't think I can afford WA, OR. ...
give us a budget, location preference, and wish list & we will fix you up!

As V67 said... COS, CO has options, as do many places. I LUV Loveland, CO (will be there tomorrow for Home - Sculpture in the Park). CO is 'fair taxed', but I prefer No income tax AK, WA, NV, WY, SD, TN, NH (All have cool(er) and 'cheap' locations to live)

I have bought 3 rural places recently in PNW for under $100k (nice locations but needed some work). 20 min to major city, 10 min to small town, (You don't want to pay the taxes of OR, but I live VERY cheap in WA... <$100 each for / food / utilities / transportation / entertainment. I can be in OR in 20 minutes (no sales tax and PLENTY weird / culture / colleges / beauty (coast)).

Homes are pretty high in many locations at the moment, but that will not last. There are many options more affordable (wise) than BUYING a home . My home will be empty most of the next yr. When can you leave FL? I also have other living options at other locations (Apt in shop / garage, Cabin, RV sites, house / pet sitting, friends, Hospitality guest homes, workamping, caretaking, caregiving....). I have several friends who keep extra 'guest homes' for special situations. (eldercare / wayward kids / friends in need / friends shopping for new locale!)

Of 30 + properties I have bought ONE home from a realtor. I can't deal with the waste of time and extra expense, and prefer to hunt down my own morsels. ESPECIALLY since I know what I want. I usually close <30 days. Sometimes > 7 days.

If a realtor has found it... it is too late.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-07-2015 at 02:50 PM..

Old 08-07-2015, 03:15 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,179,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I keep my house at 80, but it's a DRY heat indoors. I'm telling you, humidity is the whole story here.
I hear you..but then why not go out to the desert?

Old 08-07-2015, 03:42 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,136,371 times
Quote:
I have a huge problem with people complaining about the cold. Hello, you can always put more clothing ON; you can take only so much clothing OFF. And when it's extremely humid, your sweat doesn't even evaporate, so -- short of living inside with the a/c or submerged in cool water -- you're gonna die of heat exhaustion. Don't even try to live an active lifestyle...

Nothing bugs me more than Southerners running around in their indoor clothes from car to building and back, with no coat, hat, gloves, scarf, or even fleece wear and complaining that they're freezing... They uniformly "hate" coats... Well, d'oh!
As I've mentioned before, I live and worked in south Florida. Two of my co-workers that shared a small building where there were 5 offices (including mine) were always cold. They wanted the thermostat on the a.c. to be turned up to at least 78°! Preferably 79 or 80°! Yeow! I was hot! I even had a little fan on my computer desk that I directed to me when I felt a need. Some of my work was in the office, sometimes I worked outdoors. I was continually turning the a.c. down to 77° They could wear sweaters, I could not take anymore clothes off!

Retirement is wonderful

Old 08-07-2015, 03:55 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,261,881 times
i'd melt like frosty in the heat.....it was hot today almost 80

tomorrow ...nice breeze and low 70's ...perfect

Old 08-07-2015, 04:24 PM

26,660 posts, read 28,733,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i'd melt like frosty in the heat.....it was hot today almost 80

tomorrow ...nice breeze and low 70's ...perfect
I just left Maine a few hours ago. The weather was perfect--not HOT, just right. We were near the coast where's it's cooler and we were camping in the woods which makes it even cooler. Last night was almost cold!

Old 08-07-2015, 06:15 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,457,078 times
Quote:
WHY keep a house at 80?

Old 08-07-2015, 06:23 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,551,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Without a big pension, CA is not even an option, money wise. Not only that, but my wife has allergies to dust and mold. I would imagine in that very humid climate, mold is a problem. WY has a very friendly tax environment, plenty of churches for me to pick from, and an escape from heat and humidity most of the year.
The entire state is not expensive, including the north coast. I don't have any mold in my apartment. But, believe what you will. And I'm sure you'll find WY dust-free, even though it's dry.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:05 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,423,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
The entire southwest, from California through Texas, has been more humid than normal so far this year. We so-cal weather wimps are Melting - Simply Melting!!!!!

Thing is, with climate changes this might be the new normal.

It's coming up from Mexico. Imagine how much worse the heat and humidity is down there.
Doubtful. Not sure how long you've lived in this part of the country. Was very similar at least a couple of past summers, one I can recall sometime during the 70s and again during the summer of '83. El Nino plus a particularly strong SW Monsoon. Also, in urban areas, more people = more development = more humidity (e.g. cooling towers on larger buildings, swamp coolers, etc).

Old 08-07-2015, 07:14 PM

7,032 posts, read 4,912,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
My sisters have a friend that is just like you. She is in her late 60s and sweats up a storm even during cool weather.

Hope you live in the far north.
I live near Seattle. And we are having the hottest June, July, and summer ever recorded. BLECH! Seattle just broke its record of number of days in a year over 90°.

What I'd like to do is live in San Francisco. Failing that, Santa Cruz. Even better, there's a little town on the coast just south of Santa Cruz called Castroville. I watched the temps there one summer when it was 110 to 112 all summer in the South Bay. Those temps never got over 84° in Castroville. Half Moon Bay, Pacifica, Davenport, or Carmel would be other cities that would be ideal. Alas, I have no money to live in any of those places......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement