Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 04:36 AM

9,013 posts, read 20,431,622 times

Advertisements

We've lived in northeaster Florida since Jan '09 and the heat/humidity is finally getting to us. So, when wife retires in a few years (when she turns 70......she's 67 now), we are "OUTTA HERE!" and back to the "Eastern Slope" of Colorado (south Denver metro). We lived there for 5 1/2 years and absolutely loved it. We moved because I had to have rotator cuff surgery, due to a fall in ice/snow coming home from work, but when people are retired, they don't go out into the winter weather nearly as much as when they worked full-time jobs. Anyway, we aren't into going to the beach nearly as much as we'd thought we'd be. We didn't go that much when we lived in So California.

One thing for sure, we do MISS Colorado/south Denver metro area (Parker, Littleton, Centennial, RMNP, the lakes and the Christmas's with snow and decorations). We hate a lot of heat, so the areas in the U.S. that most Seniors move to/live in will not be for us. But, if the weather there does start affecting us (muscles, bones, etc), then we will have to figure out something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 05:27 AM

16,042 posts, read 22,007,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofvegasgirls View Post
So I just stumbled on this post, from the Las Vegas forum. I was complaining, in that forum, that the constant heat and sun shining, were kind of a bummer, to me. I told my husband this morning, that I was feeling depressed and the constant state of sweatiness was driving me bonkers. A/C sure, but just the walk to the mailbox and back, getting from car to store and back, filling up the gas, getting my kids to piano and other social events....All those normal reasons you are away from A/C. Most folks don't relate to it, because being down or bummed, is usually associated with a climate that is rainy and cloudy. I feel so much better in a temperate climate. I thought I was the lone wolf out here, that felt closed in, during overly hot weather! And I'm only 45.
I cannot relate to this kind of oppressive heat, and I'm sorry for those suffering in it. Our New England summer has, for me, been terrific. Only a few days in the mid-90s but mostly upper 80s and sunny and so many days with crisp cool underlying breezes. We have central a.c. but have put it on only once, when our neighbor had his fire pit going. But there will always be people here who will complain about summer, like my sister who lives 24/7 in a.c. and thinks it's been a terrible summer. Not! It's been great. I remember growing up when adults would greet each other with "is it hot enough for you?" It seemed we got way hotter summers in those days of no a.c.. And, after last winter here, I've no complaints whatsoever. Today like many days is a 10+ and I'm feeling the cool breeze through the window as I type. I need to get a hammock.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:51 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,006,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
We've live in Texas now since 97, and in the south since 93. So thought I had adapted OK to the heat. But last week I got hit with a bought of heat stress. Now, my heat tolerance is completely gone. I'm sure it has to do with my age. As we get older, our ability to handle excessive heat or cold is diminished. Now I'm getting overheated after just taking a shower. I've just accepted that I can't take the heat anymore and we're looking north for retirement. Anyone else had this problem? Is it as bad with cold weather, where you just can't take it anymore physically.
Absolutely, and I'm only 38. I live in TX too (Houston) and have lived in Texas most of my life. The heat is horrible. I don't even want to move around the house. We just live indoors in the air conditioning most of the time. We're in the triple digits all week with high humidity of course. Adding insult to injury, I also have heat induced migraine headaches, so I spend lots of time in bed with ice packs on my head. It doesn't help that I'm a cold weather loving person, and I lived for brief stints in Montana, Alaska, and Norway, and miss them very much. The wife and I are looking for a cooler place to move, but one that isn't too cold, because she can't stand very cold. Compromise, compromise

Old 08-07-2015, 07:09 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,951,398 times
Without a big pension, CA is not even an option, money wise. Not only that, but my wife has allergies to dust and mold. I would imagine in that very humid climate, mold is a problem. WY has a very friendly tax environment, plenty of churches for me to pick from, and an escape from heat and humidity most of the year.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:19 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,247,590 times
I hope you like constant wind augiedogie. I lived outside Omaha and I liked it. I liked the openness of the great plains and for the 3 years i was there the winters didn't seem that bad (IDK if I hit some sort of mild streak or what).

I wasn't a fan of the constant wind though. It really bugged. me. Maybe I would have gotten used to it I don't know. But its definately a thing.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:15 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,951,398 times
1. The wind in western WY is not as bad as eastern Wy.
2. Check out the wind speed in Lubbock, Tx. Its high in windiest places in the USA. So anyplace less than here is a win. Our home state Wis. is also no stranger to wind.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:34 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,808,062 times
I lived in Denver for a while and it seemed like every spring when the Chinooks kicked up one or more of the local stations would do a human interest story on the wind. It makes people angry; sort of like how clouds make people depressed - not everyone but definitely a higher incidence.

Old 08-07-2015, 08:50 AM

22,116 posts, read 13,129,541 times
I have a huge problem with people complaining about the cold. Hello, you can always put more clothing ON; you can take only so much clothing OFF. And when it's extremely humid, your sweat doesn't even evaporate, so -- short of living inside with the a/c or submerged in cool water -- you're gonna die of heat exhaustion. Don't even try to live an active lifestyle...

Nothing bugs me more than Southerners running around in their indoor clothes from car to building and back, with no coat, hat, gloves, scarf, or even fleece wear and complaining that they're freezing... They uniformly "hate" coats... Well, d'oh!

Old 08-07-2015, 08:59 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,808,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I have a huge problem with people complaining about the cold. Hello, you can always put more clothing ON; you can take only so much clothing OFF. And when it's extremely humid, your sweat doesn't even evaporate, so -- short of living inside with the a/c or submerged in cool water -- you're gonna die of heat exhaustion. Don't even try to live an active lifestyle...

Nothing bugs me more than Southerners running around in their indoor clothes from car to building and back, with no coat, hat, gloves, scarf, or even fleece wear and complaining that they're freezing... They uniformly "hate" coats... Well, d'oh!
Uh oh - you pretty much described me exactly. I'm wearing shoes - isn't that enough of a compromise?

Old 08-07-2015, 09:22 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,793 posts, read 58,301,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
... WY has a very friendly tax environment, plenty of churches for me to pick from, and an escape from heat and humidity most of the year.
WY has EXCELLENT reflectors on the roads for driving in ground blizzards; Blue on Left : Yellow on Right. don't go between 2 reflectors of the same color and you are safe. If you can see 3 reflectors ahead, you can stay at 60mph+ (many yrs of commercial driving in WY)

Many MANY benefits of WY.

Western is pretty sweet (Star Valley) you can jet out of SLC and also enjoy area near Bear Lake and NICE mtns of NE UT.

And... I got a GREAT deal on a LIFETIME (plastic) burial vault in Afton. Dropped by and picked up 'last-yr-model' while toting my dad 2500 mile to bury him! I think he was OK with the color

Very nice folks / business and potentially a PT job.
Polyguard Vaults - Welcome

I will SURELY enjoy my future stay in WY Pioneer Home. it is a fraction of the cost of care centers in many states. Being within the grounds of a state 'hot springs' park will be a nice benefit! You might want to get on the waiting list!

IIRC WY can be pretty stink'n hot in summer (and also get snow in August).

WA state has some 'moderate' temps / wide climate choices and is also income tax free. Many retirees are choosing Sequim (rain shadow, but on the coast of Puget Sound.) Poulsbo is pretty nice if you are 'wash and wear'. Silverdale has some excellent senior / rehab centers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement