Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 06:49 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,931,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I saw another one today. A lady about my age that cut most of her hair off. It was no more than an inch long all over her head. I don't get it? IMHO, it certainly doesn't make them more attractive.
I never see a balding old man and wonder why he does not wear a hairpiece to make him look more attractive ;-)

I think a woman of a 'certain age' has earned the right to live her life, to wear whatever kind of clothing, to have whatever hairstyle which makes her comfortable and not caring a whit how she looked to men (other than whoever is important in her life).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 06:50 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,592 times
There are lots of reasons a woman might want short hair including all of those mentioned above.

My hair isn't as short as when I was younger, but it is still quite short. Short hair fits my lifestyle; it is quick and easy to take care of- a quick tousle and I am ready to go.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:55 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
There's a happy medium between looking like a burned out old hippie and looking butch.
Just thought I would mention that I find both these characterizations offensive for oh-so-many reasons.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:03 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,234,864 times
My wife cut her hair short a few months back (from shoulder length to a feathered short cut), I think she looks great! She prefers the shorter hair because of heat, and it is easier to manage.

Women with a "men's haircut" beats the heck out of 60+ Year old men with male pattern baldness and a pony tail to their backs - not that I'm judging...

Old 10-19-2015, 07:17 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonbirder View Post
Same here although I started a couple years ago. This last summer I got it cut real short. My hair is also very thick ( and one hair dresser counted 6 cowlicks). I love it short it's so much easier to care for and feels so much better especially at the gym!
Yes, so much easier to wash and go after a workout.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:22 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,746,390 times
In my community of mostly retired folk, I am one of only about 5 ladies that I've seen (out of hundreds) that has long hair. I keep it died my original color (light brown). It's a pain to me, but I don't have a good face for short hair, and my DH prefers it long. I would love to cut it short for ease of styling, but it just makes my head look like a big ole' melon when it's short. Recently I have had my stylist layer it to help bring out the curl so I don't have to blow dry and flat iron it all the time. My hair is super thick, coarse and wavy, so it takes about 40 minutes to dry and straighten it. If the weather is humid, all that work is for nothing because it will frizz up and get curly in about 30 minutes time. That's why ladies cut it short when they get older, because it's just too much hassle to deal with anymore.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:44 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,189,978 times
We have an extended family member, female, a very perky mother of eight and grandmother of ???, who wears her hair in a cute perky short hairstyle. Now this lady has $$$ and you can tell this short haircut is done regularly by the same hair stylist. She also has it in a natural salt/pepper color. In my opinion, it looks very sharp!!!

Old 10-19-2015, 08:17 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
I'm over 65, and my hair is very short and has been for the past 20 years. I have never been mistaken for a man and my husband loves it. But bottom line is, I have more important things to be concerned with than what someone else thinks, particularly when that "someone" is on an internet forum and in all likelihood thinks his comb over looks sexy.

Last edited by 2sleepy; 10-19-2015 at 08:25 PM..

Old 10-19-2015, 08:21 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,420,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I saw another one today. A lady about my age that cut most of her hair off. It was no more than an inch long all over her head. I don't get it? IMHO, it certainly doesn't make them more attractive...

Are you this judgmental about everyone/everything in your life? What a waste of time and energy.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:14 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Interesting posts. We all make judgements about other people's appearance, and you're just lying to yourself if you think you don't. Some people condemn women's choices of clothes, styles, how much cleavage they're showing, or if they dress like a hooker. Most middle class people will be leery of some black guy who looks like a gang member, or part of a motorcycle gang. They make judgments about people if they have on expensive or very nice clothes. We assume all kinds of things because of someones clothes. Think of how people react to someone who dresses like a firefighter, or a police man, a military officer or as pastor. We even make judgments based on whether someone is obese or thin, tall or short, in shape and muscular or emaciated.

I just find it interesting that a person who has a particular look, completely changes it later in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement