Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 11:21 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I've read (often anecdotal) stories about older 55+ complexes in south Florida that are converting to "regular" communities:

I'm a first time home buyer looking at the Tamarac, FL area. Many 55 communities are converting to all-age communities, despite having the - Trulia Voices

I don't know the legalities of how such a transition takes place.

The complexes I recall reading about were pretty low end to start with - and time (and storms like Wilma) had not been kind to them. New residents tended to be low income families. The situations didn't sound very attractive to me - but the places could be bought for the proverbial "song".

I think what generally happens in most age restricted places is most original owners start out pretty young (like 60) - and then everyone gets older and older and older as people "age in place". 70 - 80 - 80+. So the demographics change. And - as more people die or move into places where they can get more care - well there's little demand for the places from a "new generation" of younger retired people. Most 60 year olds don't want to move into a complex where the age of the average resident is 80+. So conversion to a "regular" community starts to look attractive to remaining owners or their heirs who are trying to sell these places.

I know that some people find age restricted communities attractive. But people considering them should realize that the age restrictions may wind up lowering their property values decades down the road. This might be important to some people - not important to others. It's just a factor to keep in mind. Robyn
The developers of these communities realize this as a problem and are trying to develop new ways to work around. As you have noted previously for many residents it is their last home until they die and that can be a very long time and change the nature of the community. Also declining wealth can create to many residents unable and unwilling to pay the HOA fees especially when they aren't using the facilities anymore,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 02:59 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Lived in HOA for 13 years, never again! Virtually impossible to bring any changes. The "Board" runs it like a concentration camp. They actually insisted all curtains facing outside be white. Really? No window boxes or planters, etc. No, never again.
I am willing to bet that at closing you signed a paper saying that you have received the documents, read them, understand them, and agree.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:11 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
OK, so now all the children under 18 must leave. There are still plenty of residents between 19 and 55 who will be living in a 55+ household. Somehow the rules don't make a lot of sense.
I don't know why anyone would want to live in a community where children, and their laughter, is banned.

To each his own but I wouldn't want a place there. Nothing bug old foggies?

Old 10-28-2015, 03:58 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Isn't it contradictory to allow ages other than 55+ in a 55+ community, unless the "underaged" is the spouse?
NO! Living in a 55+ community, I can assure you that there are several "adult" children living with the parents/grandparents here either as care givers or care takers. As long as they are above the age of 18, no issues.

Some parents have special needs, some adult children have special needs. NEITHER are excluded in our HOA, only those UNDER The age of 18.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:01 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I don't know why anyone would want to live in a community where children, and their laughter, is banned.

It is very EASY to understand when you look at the crime report around the area of our 55+ gated community and the rest of our immediate area!!!!! WHEN SOMETHING HAPPENS HERE, IT IS TALKED ABOUT!!! All the neighborhoods surrounding our immediate area are suffering all kind of criminal activities! And we live in a "pricey" area of the city!

Old 10-28-2015, 04:12 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
...Golf communities without enough golfers will be the problem from here on in, not the age of the homes.
I live in a "big golf" part of the world (Ponte Vedra Beach in St. Johns County FL). And too many golf courses/fewer players are a problem in many places/communities - not only those that are 55+. But they are an especially big problem in 55+ only communities in places like south Florida as owners/residents get too old to play golf on their "community" courses. In regular non-age restricted communities - there are work-arounds (some work - some don't). But in a 55+ community where everyone is now pushing 80 or older - there's not much you can do (doing a bunch of weddings to generate extra revenue is not a great option ).

We moved here 20 years ago in part because of the golf (tennis too) in the area. But - although our (non-age restricted) HOA has a golf/tennis golf club - we weren't locked into it. We were members for a while - but found - as we got older - that another local place (TPC Sawgrass - home of the famous "Stadium Course") suited our needs better (for a laundry list of reasons - one of which - curiously - was that it's cheaper considering our current golf habits). So we switched about 10 years ago - and couldn't be happier now with our current "golf home".

If you're a golfer - I 100% recommend living in or moving to a place where there are a *lot* of golf options - and you're not locked into any particular one forever. And - IMO - all golfers should take a "look see" here . Not only are there tons of golf options - we're 10 minutes away from the Mayo Clinic JAX. Great golf - great health care - those are 2 of our top priorities - and we'd be hard to do better elsewhere.

FWIW - although we didn't know it when we moved here - there are some excellent senior facilities here too. We moved my late FIL here from NC when he needed a SNF (in 2002). To perhaps the best in the state (River Garden). And my father moved from south Florida to an excellent senior independent living facility here (Brookdale Southside) in 2006 after my mother died. My husband and I have siblings where both of our fathers lived - but there weren't any places for our fathers that were anywhere as good where our siblings lived as what we found here (the options in NC were particularly pathetic).

I won't kid you. This metro area probably isn't the most thrilling in the world. But it does have some things going for it. Robyn

Old 10-28-2015, 04:14 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:

Not banned at all just limited to how much one household can contribute in a year.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:43 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times
Quote:

Quite the contrary. EVERYTHING bug old fogeys!

Old 10-28-2015, 06:53 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I'd be FURIOUS if there were people under 55 living in a 55 and over community. Everyone who purchases receives a copy of the rules. Follow them or don't live there! Who the heck wants to listen to kids all day? I'm in my 40's and I certainly don't want to hear everyone's special snowflake children....I don't have children and have never wanted any. I've lived with multiple HOA's....some are great....some are hell.
Our FL condo development has a number of HOAs in it. 2/3 is 55+, 1/3 is open.

Frankly, I think it is nice to see some young kids riding around in bicycles rather than just a bunch of blue hairs.

And I am 64.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:11 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Our FL condo development has a number of HOAs in it. 2/3 is 55+, 1/3 is open.

Frankly, I think it is nice to see some young kids riding around in bicycles rather than just a bunch of blue hairs.

And I am 64.
But that was the choice you made. You didn't move to a 100% 55+ community. If you did and the rules were being bent left and right, chances are high that you along with your neighbors would be very upset. Not everyone wants to live around kids especially as they age. There's something to be said about peace and quiet. There's absolutely nothing wrong with "blue hairs". Sure beats the alternative!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement