Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2016, 11:54 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,486,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

He so often bemoans that fact that we should have met 40 years ago! But thank goodness for the internet or we never would have met at all. So, it's never too late and I'd advise people to go online and give it a try. If the American men seem too materialistic and obsessed with money (not ALL of them are, but they are moreso than European men) try international. I found some of the sweetest and kindest men were in Scotland. These men seemed genuine and I remember one in particular wanted a woman to come and live with him to enjoy the beautiful countryside, as he had with his deceased wife. He was too old for me at the time though.

Even if you're just looking for friendship, it can happen online. Most of women I know in their 60s and 70s do not find men irrelevant at all. It can be difficult in our own little worlds to find someone compatible though so I recommend going online to find someone. It's great to have a pal of the opposite sex to exchange ideas with, to go places with, to get the opinion of someone of the opposite sex. Maybe because I was alone for so many years I consider myself very lucky at this point in my life. (and HE is cooking dinner tonight.)
Aw, this warms the cockles of my cold, dead heart!

A good buddy of mine married a Scotsman and expatriated. They met online, in none other than Second Life (an online game).

I find Nordic fellows groovy at present, although I tend to feel short around a lot of them, even in 3-inch heels (I'm 5'5").

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
yea - I wondered why the thought that the performance at 60-70-, heck even 40 would be the same?

I don't know if you have ever heard any of George Lopez's comedy routines. In one he says, enjoy your body and equipment when you are young. Don't fool yourself. He says it in a very funny way - but truthful - IMO. I'm sure some will disagree.
Just yesterday, I caught myself thinking that I don't know what all these people mean when they say they feel like they're 25. I think if they stopped to consider what they actually did at 25, they wouldn't be so quick to say that. At 25, I could stay out until 3:00, get up at 6:30 a.m. to go hiking in the Shenandoahs, and go out dancing that night, no nap required. Why, no. No, I cannot do that now. And that's okay. Sometimes I feel like the cultural emphasis on youth deludes people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 02:15 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,597,574 times
Just yesterday, I caught myself thinking that I don't know what all these people mean when they say they feel like they're 25. I think if they stopped to consider what they actually did at 25, they wouldn't be so quick to say that. At 25, I could stay out until 3:00, get up at 6:30 a.m. to go hiking in the Shenandoahs, and go out dancing that night, no nap required. Why, no. No, I cannot do that now. And that's okay. Sometimes I feel like the cultural emphasis on youth deludes people.

So true!!! It's great to stay as active, healthy and attractive as you can. It's another thing to think those in their 30's and 40's think of you as a contemporary when you are more like their parents. Oh well, it's probably harmless unless you have a heart attack or break a bone trying to keep up.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:08 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,596,561 times
I think what the older people mean is that they have many of the same wants, desires, and needs as a human being as they did at age 25 or 35 or 45 or 55.

Many of the same psychological needs.

(not all needs remain the same, but many needs as a human can remain the same)

It can also be a statement on how short life can seem, as in 'where did all the years go so quickly'.

And also feeling that one's essence as a person can have many of the same components throughout a life, at age 25 and at age 75, and in-between.

Last edited by matisse12; 04-18-2016 at 03:31 PM..

Old 04-19-2016, 08:31 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,486,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I think what the older people mean is that they have many of the same wants, desires, and needs as a human being as they did at age 25 or 35 or 45 or 55.

Many of the same psychological needs.

(not all needs remain the same, but many needs as a human can remain the same)

It can also be a statement on how short life can seem, as in 'where did all the years go so quickly'.

And also feeling that one's essence as a person can have many of the same components throughout a life, at age 25 and at age 75, and in-between.
Depends on context. Whenever I've heard it, it's usually followed by, "Hold my beer and watch this."

Old 04-23-2018, 10:19 PM

4,176 posts, read 2,585,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Menopause?
Andropause?

Old 04-24-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I do think that it was once more common for women to actively look for another spouse - my father and my mother-in-law were/are both in assisted living. 20 years ago, when my father was in his early 70s and widowed, he moved into an "independent" living (he had his own, fairly spacious, apartment and the facility offered group dining, weekly housekeeping, a transit service to shopping/appointment but no medical services). From the day he moved in, the single ladies in the facility were bring him home-made meals and treats and trying to be a general companion. There was a lot of fussing over him in the dining area and women bringing him snacks and treats while he was watching football/baseball/basketball/golf on the big TV in the recreation room.

Fast forward to the present, and when I go to see my mother-in-law, I notice very little of that type of behavior in the dining and recreation areas, even though there are several single men. I suspect that, as time has passed, more women in their 60s and 70s have had a job and are financially independent and spent less time as a stay-at-home wife - and aren't looking to be someone's cook, maid, nurse and house cleaner in exchange for financial security. I think the ladies chasing after my father would gladly have taken up that familiar role (and that is what they would have been, because my father did not cook or clean or do laundry, after my mother died he hired someone to do all of it).
There used to be an old saying "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach". Many from those earlier eras may still remember, and live by that.

Old 04-24-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
A guy I was talking to told me about this player move. His friend hooked up with a younger woman. Married her and put her through nursing school so now at his older age about 80 he has a live in nurse. She's about 20-25 years younger than him.

A true long term player who had a vision..
Or she could very well leave him after he spent the bucks putting her through nursing school. It can happen both ways .

Old 04-24-2018, 05:46 PM

588 posts, read 463,933 times
I would love to have a healthy man in my life.

I want sex. Can I make it any plainer. Last three had such issues with it I just don't know what to do! These guys were so upset about their issues that I would watch TV instead of even treading down that path....I am so tired of this.

Then, they want food, booze, the game on, naps and more naps, and, of course, I am to do all the house work at my house and then go to his and he wants me to..... I don't even live there for god's sake.' Last guy actually said to me as I was carting into his home a full meal (which I paid for) to be cooked at his house...we have to fold the things in the dryer. WTF!

Lord! I don't want a child! I want a man!

Old 04-24-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Boy and you women have not even met me . I am high maintenance and needy so i can see those opinions if you knew me ha ha ha
Mathjak

We already knew that. Nothing new here.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If anything, I'd expect older women to be more needful of a man as many had more old-fashioned values.
Serious....do you have a girlfriend?

Just answer the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement