Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2018, 05:58 PM

588 posts, read 463,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I am going to get so flamed but here goes. I am 72 and I do not see many women over 60 that I personally find attractive. Of course there are some (and you are one darling) so do not attempt to prove me totally wrong. Bottom line is it is my personal observance and taste. I would be most interested in would be 35 to 55. Of course they may have no interest in me but that is another story.....LOL
John,

Do you have a girlfriend?

Just answer the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 06:34 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,356,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Why is he narrowing his choice to those in their 60s? Why not someone his age?
THANK YOU! That was my first thought while reading the OP's post.

In terms of the original question, I like having male friends but would not want anything else. I don't find them irrelevant - merely not necessary to live happily and casually, as I choose. Haven't dated in 21 years (since I was 40) and don't miss it at all. At this point in my life, I like to keep things as simple as possible.

What IS funny is that I have been asked out now and again: a few times by strangers and a few times by casual acquaintances and co-workers. I'm so "rusty" that I become very flustered and rather unnerved When I mention these experiences to one of my best friends (a male), he HOWLS! I don't know why he finds it so funny

Old 04-24-2018, 07:22 PM

4,176 posts, read 2,583,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I am going to get so flamed but here goes. I am 72 and I do not see many women over 60 that I personally find attractive. Of course there are some (and you are one darling) so do not attempt to prove me totally wrong. Bottom line is it is my personal observance and taste. I would be most interested in would be 35 to 55. Of course they may have no interest in me but that is another story.....LOL
As a woman close to your age who we are attracted to, and who we can get are many times two different things .

But when guys have money that can be a game changer right there. That is a chick magnet. You may never know if she loves you, or your money. Be careful out there .

P.S. Finding women over 60 unattractive? Have you looked in a mirror lately?

Old 04-24-2018, 07:32 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,299,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
A close male friend in his early 70's has finally healed (as much as anyone can) from the loss of a beloved wife, and is looking with interest at single ladies in their 60's. In my opinion, he has much to recommend him.

To his surprise, many of them are not interested in dating anybody (not necessarily rejecting him personally), because they (in his words) "find men irrelevant." This is clearly in opposition to the commonly held view that single women in their 60's are anxious to find male partners.

I believe he is looking in his local area, and don't think he has tried online dating, yet.

Why would the women "find men irrelevant"?

Just wondering what you all thought.
Women his age have probably already nursed one male into the grave. They aren’t looking to do it again. There’s also the fact that a number of men are helpless as a baby. They can’t do anything for themselves. They aren’t looking for a relationship as much as a housekeeper.

And frankly, after a live devoted to husband, home and children, a lot of women find a sense of freedom. They can go where and when they want. My mom had no use for men after my dad died. My sister is doing the same thing. I adore my husband, but if he should predecease me, I’m climbing on that wagon, too. I certainly don’t want to break in a new one.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:46 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,489,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
As a woman close to your age who we are attracted to, and who we can get are many times two different things .

But when guys have money that can be a game changer right there. That is a chick magnet. You may never know if she loves you, or your money. Be careful out there .

P.S. Finding women over 60 unattractive? Have you looked in a mirror lately?
Yeah, here’s why women might find men over 60 unattractive. I see 60 plus year old men and women everyday. Most of the women still keep themselves looking presentable. Some wear makeup and almost all dress nicely and have neatly done hairstyles.

All but a handful of the men on the other hand are a fright. Their clothes often consist of baggy sweatpants that look like they are about to fall down or shorts or pajama bottoms. They wear sloppy, ragged, faded old T shirts, scruffy shoes or flip-flops. Their hair needs combing. And then there are those who could take advantage of a bath every now and then

Some men do dress nicely and look good but most fit this disheveled description. The women often comment that it’s not so important as to whether or not they good looking as it is that are looking like slobs. That’s unattractive.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:47 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,923,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Yeah, here’s why women might find men over 60 unattractive. I see 60 plus year old men and women everyday. Most of the women still keep themselves looking presentable. Some wear makeup and almost all dress nicely and have neatly done hairstyles.

All but a handful of the men on the other hand are a fright. Their clothes often consist of baggy sweatpants that look like they are about to fall down or shorts or pajama bottoms. They wear sloppy, ragged, faded old T shirts, scruffy shoes or flip-flops. Their hair needs combing. And then there are those who could take advantage of a bath every now and then

Some men do dress nicely and look good but most fit this disheveled description. The women often comment that it’s not so important as to whether or not they good looking as it is that are looking like slobs. That’s unattractive.

I see people every day too. LOTS of them, men and women. I hadn't noticed the men looking all that bad but the ones that look best are usually WITH a woman. I do see some as you describe but also some women. But then I figure that since they are just 'going to Walmart' they don't feel any big need to 'dress up'. It kind of surprises me how many older women are still into makeup and some, like me, could probably benefit from a little. lol I have been wearing it myself lately. I started wearing it again to take attention away from my miserable eyes after my cataract surgery...they did look awful for a while...and find I kind of like it.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:10 AM

16,130 posts, read 10,805,118 times
If any man worries that "Older" women think men are irrelevant they haven't been on Match.com or other similar sites. Yikes. If you are a single man age 65 or more, sufficiently independent with money/property, vertical and ambulatory, in reasonable health, and list yourself as available on these sites you are a rare thing, indeed. You will have lots of contacts. Unfortunately much of the interest has something to do with "honey-do" lists and a strong back to muck out the stables. Many women are looking for dance partners so if you can dance that is a plus. I actually didn't know older women had so many stables.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:39 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,173,090 times
It takes a while to read through this long thread. So much emotion about this subject. Wow.

Here's my take: I am with my husband 20 years. My 1st husband 19.

I am exhausted. The cooking the cleaning the laundry. And just the day-to-day managing the household, considering the other's feelings and wishes. So he worked a long day and is tired. I'll bring his dinner to him and make sure he is happily eating and resting.

Forget conversation, that ended years ago and never much was the 1st time around.

A guy would have to be a pretty special person and very considerate for me to consider ever doing this again, if I'm in that position. If I'm the one left, I'm going to rest a long while before I even go out of the house.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:39 AM

12,064 posts, read 10,301,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

I am going to have to be more observant! But right now I can say that the men around here generally don't go around looking like slobs. But, I would say 70% are overweight. Even the younger ones. I'll see wedding pics of youngish people and all the couples will be overweight. But then this is south texas and we are known for that. They even had a story in the NYTimes about it.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:54 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,489,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I am going to have to be more observant! But right now I can say that the men around here generally don't go around looking like slobs. But, I would say 70% are overweight. Even the younger ones. I'll see wedding pics of youngish people and all the couples will be overweight. But then this is south texas and we are known for that. They even had a story in the NYTimes about it.
That’s interesting. I don’t see many over 60 overweight men in the area where I live, the Great Lakes Region. There seem to be a more overweight women. I would say everyone on the whole, though, is of pretty normal weight at least those I see in my senior apartment complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement