Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 09:43 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,579,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
"Raiding" SS to pay what??? Funds have been diverted OUT of SS for an unrelated program - or what?? What is he talking about?

I only ask b/c the tweet is inflammatory in its accusations and provides zero information. If he's too lazy to provide specifics, for now I categorize it as hyperbole.
They diverted funds from the retirement program to the disability program. Disability, the DI part of OASDI, has no excess money in its trust fund and operates in the red. For all intents, Social Security has been raided for many years to fund the bloated military complex and periodic fiscal stimulii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 09:49 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,443,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
They diverted funds from the retirement program to the disability program. Disability, the DI part of OASDI, has no excess money in its trust fund and operates in the red. For all intents, Social Security has been raided for many years to fund the bloated military complex and periodic fiscal stimulii.

That's always been my understanding too.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:03 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
EVERYONE wants to "CLOSE LOOPHOLES" and "ELIMINATE WASTE". However, each one of the loopholes and each wasteful program has people who support it and for which it is a sacred cow that cannot be touched.

Eventually, the government will print money to cover all social security obligations. While that will reduce the value of the US dollar (much like the Argentine currency), at least all the members of Congress will be able to say that they "preserved" social security and never cut it.

My grandfather opposed social security in 1932 and many of his criticisms are coming true in my lifetime.
So are you saying it has worked well for over 80 years and if it hits a bump in 2032 it will have worked well for a century? Some might say that is impressive! So with much of life it is time to review and evolve on, as the world is very different from oh say almost a century ago!

Old 10-31-2015, 10:21 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,801,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
So are you saying it has worked well for over 80 years and if it hits a bump in 2032 it will have worked well for a century? Some might say that is impressive! So with much of life it is time to review and evolve on, as the world is very different from oh say almost a century ago!
But in this country we like to pretend that when they made laws a long time it was with infallible judgment unaffected by the changing conditions/technology/economics in the intervening years.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:32 AM

5,329 posts, read 6,024,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Always be wary of bills passed at 3am

A bigger portion of FICA will be shifted from the SS Trust Fund to the SSDI Fund for 3 years starting in January.
It's a bandaid, not a fix.

This was done to give Congress time to come up with a solution is what I read.
In reality..they had plenty of time. This is just kicking the can down the road.

And shaving time off of when the SS Trust Fund will go broke.
Let me clarify the terminology. The SS Trust Fund includes BOTH the OASI fund and the DI fund.

I don't know about you, but I paid premiums through my FICA taxes for both disability and survivor's insurance. I also paid a premium for a small annuity or pension.

Perhaps the disability benefit recipients who are single and without dependent children should be demanding the abolition of Survivor's benefits. I bet that would rescue the SS Trust Fund, so why not?! Let me count the ways.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:36 AM

14,956 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
"Raiding" SS to pay what??? Funds have been diverted OUT of SS for an unrelated program - or what?? What is he talking about?

I only ask b/c the tweet is inflammatory in its accusations and provides zero information. If he's too lazy to provide specifics, for now I categorize it as hyperbole.
According to the sources I read (links to some of them below), this Boehner-Obama budget included a transfer of around $150 billion from the SS retirement fund into the SSDI fund. This is no doubt what Senator Lee was referring to.

House Budget Robs Social Security for Welfare Payments - Breitbart

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ve-objections/

Forbes Welcome

Old 10-31-2015, 10:56 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,116,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
But in this country we like to pretend that when they made laws a long time it was with infallible judgment unaffected by the changing conditions/technology/economics in the intervening years.

Well said.

I tried to rep you but could not.

Old 10-31-2015, 11:15 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Let me clarify the terminology. The SS Trust Fund includes BOTH the OASI fund and the DI fund.

I don't know about you, but I paid premiums through my FICA taxes for both disability and survivor's insurance. I also paid a premium for a small annuity or pension.

Perhaps the disability benefit recipients who are single and without dependent children should be demanding the abolition of Survivor's benefits. I bet that would rescue the SS Trust Fund, so why not?! Let me count the ways.
SSDI is a separate Trust Fund. It was created under Eisenhower in 1957.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/progdata/describedi.html
The Disability Insurance Trust Fund is a separate account in the United States Treasury.

Old 10-31-2015, 11:17 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
It's not the fact they made laws. It's the amendments, changes, reallocations and expansions to those laws that are now biting us in the rear end.

FICA has not been raised since 1990.
And that is part of the problem.

Old 10-31-2015, 11:22 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post

Badaaaaaaaaa Bing! This is scary I am starting to agree with you all the time. Is my Liberal side starting go come out or your Conservative side or is this just life in the middle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement