Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 09:31 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,443,939 times

Advertisements

The following is from US Senator Mike Lee (R-Utah)'s post on social media. I dont think I can post the link here because C-D has rules about certain social media. Has anyone heard about this and can verify if it's really true?

This is how it happens.

Last night while you were sleeping the Senate voted to steal $150 billion dollars from the Social Security Trust Fund. I joined 34 of my colleagues in a vote to prevent this raid. I would like to thank Senator Rand Paul for leading the fight to protect to Social Security from the thieves in Washington, who seem to think that if they steal from the American people at night while they are sleeping that they will get away with it. I was proud to vote with Senator Paul on his point of order that would have protected Social Security, and I ask you to help me shine a light on what Washington has tried to hide from you in the darkness of night.

If everyone who sees this message shares it, it will reach millions of Americans. As someone who has been fighting for years to reform our broken government in Washington, I know it is exhausting, I sympathize with your frustration, and I understand your impatience. But don't give up. Washington wants you to give up.

Just remember, a vote to raid social security in the middle of the night in a desperate attempt to perpetuate an unsustainable spending addiction isn't a sign of strength. It is a sign of weakness.

With your help, over 1 million people have learned about the vote we held at 3:00 a.m. this morning in an effort to hide the vote from the American people. Keep sharing. Keep shining the light. The disgraced bipartisan beltway establishment that passed this bill in the dark of night isn't going to draw attention to this vote. The media is already ignoring the vote. In other words, Washington is working hard to make sure you don't find out about this. Your friends, your family, and your neighbors are not going to hear about this without your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 10:11 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,497,864 times
"Raiding" SS to pay what??? Funds have been diverted OUT of SS for an unrelated program - or what?? What is he talking about?

I only ask b/c the tweet is inflammatory in its accusations and provides zero information. If he's too lazy to provide specifics, for now I categorize it as hyperbole.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:33 PM

I agree, Ariadne, but there must be more to it than what he posted. I couldnt find any details on the internet. That's why I asked if anyone has any more info.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:34 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times
I think it was a vote to pass extend the spending cap or whatever it's called until 2017.

They passed it at 3am.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I think it was a vote to pass extend the spending cap or whatever it's called until 2017.
They passed it at 3am.

Thanks but, like Ariadne, what I wondered was what they were going to do with the money they planned to raid from SS.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:10 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,537,988 times
Lee's talking about the transfer of funds from the main SS trust to the SSDI trust. Without it, SSDI recipients would have seen up to a 20% cut in benefits next year.
This was briefly discussed in the thread titled New Social Security Regs.

From what I understand, shifting of funds back-and-forth between these two trusts has been done many times throughout the years.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:17 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,583,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Lee's talking about the transfer of funds from the main SS trust to the SSDI trust. Without it, SSDI recipients would have seen up to a 20% cut in benefits next year.

From what I understand, shifting of funds back-and-forth between these two trusts has been done many times throughout the years.
Thanks.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:22 PM

Thanks so much, biscuitmom.

Quote:

Old 10-30-2015, 11:46 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,497,864 times
Quote:

heh heh - I knew that....but...but....but..... Sen. Lee calls this normal shifting "STEALING."

Therefore, it must be so, right????

And, then Congress wonders why they have an 8% rating. Can't believe a word out of their mouths.....or twitter accounts. It's all propaganda.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:54 PM

Well, I'm not so sure about money ever having been taken from SSDI to cover SS. I havent been able to find anything on the internet verifying that. So parts of his post might be correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement