Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 07:51 AM

888 posts, read 892,224 times

Advertisements

Read this internet headline yesterday or the day before but didn't go deep into the article. I may get back to it.

What an alarming statistic. When you stratify the adult age brackets, my guess it is higher for "older" retired people like those who frequent here.

Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 08:07 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,722 posts, read 81,625,646 times
Seems to make sense. I take two a day, my wife 3, my mother (86) spends 10 minutes taking her 10-12 pills every morning. With the frequency of high blood pressure and cholesterol alone, there will be a lot of drugs needed, then add to that a variety of other problems, aches and pains, and the many hypercondriacs.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:17 AM

12,064 posts, read 10,319,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
Read this internet headline yesterday or the day before but didn't go deep into the article. I may get back to it.

What an alarming statistic. When you stratify the adult age brackets, my guess it is higher for "older" retired people like those who frequent here.

Comments?
I refuse to take anything. I'm 55 but know lots of people my age and younger that are on all kinds of things and they find it normal.

But then, I live in south texas, so if you aren't on Metforin, you are not "normal". It is nuts.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:29 AM

10,634 posts, read 12,193,858 times
Just reminds me to have gratitude about my health.
Mom lived to 89, took four meds toward the end, for cholesterol, blood pressure, dementia.
I'm 55 and take none, although the doc wanted to put me on a cholesterol med. Nothing doing.
I'm shocked by the number of people on meds...young and old -- and who just take them without asking any questions about them.

But Big Pharma is pushing drugs for everything from having short eye lashes to other "conditions" that, IMO, I'd never take a drug for.
Sometimes I think the companies are making up conditions and people are just falling for it.

Obviously if a med is lifesaving you take it. But I don't think there's much debate that society in general is "over medicated."

Old 11-05-2015, 09:09 AM

2,683 posts, read 2,188,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
But Big Pharma is pushing drugs for everything from having short eye lashes to other "conditions" that, IMO, I'd never take a drug for. Sometimes I think the companies are making up conditions and people are just falling for it.

Obviously if a med is lifesaving you take it. But I don't think there's much debate that society in general is "over medicated."
Not just the drug companies, but doctors also push drugs, as it is often the easiest way to deal with a patient in the 5-10 minutes allotted to a typical doctor visit, before they move on to the next patient. I can excuse the drug companies' conduct pushing the drugs on doctors, since they are businesses whose sole purpose is to make a profit; but I cannot excuse the physicians, who are supposed to be concerned professionals operating under a higher standard, pushing drugs on patients when the drugs are not absolutely necessary.

Im 63 and take only one medication a day, because it is absolutely necessary to deal with a serious health condition. I have turned down other medications offered by doctors and am no sicker for it.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:22 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,675,850 times
I'm 64 and I don't take any medications. Of course, I don't go to the doctor, either! I'm sure a doc would find something to prescribe to me!

For a while, I had high blood pressure (didn't take anything for it), but after I left my job, it went back to normal.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:33 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,994,034 times
In many cases, the meds are much cheaper than treating the diseases they prevent or delay... like blood pressure, cholesterol, thyroid, or diabetes meds, to name a few. This portion of the "drug taking adult population" is NOT a bad thing.

My concern is for the so-called addictive drugs which many people actually need to deal with chronic pain. There has been a lot in the news lately to treat addiction rather than incarcerate the victims, and I agree with this.

There is also news about overdoses from people combining prescription meds that should not be taken together. I think their prescribing doctors are responsible for a lot of this. When they prescribe one or more of these meds, they really need to take the time to explain which ones can't be taken together. So many people just don't know.

As a chronic pain sufferer who actually needs a muscle relaxer and pain meds on a regular basis, I am very much aware of which ones cannot be taken together. Sometimes I skip them and have a glass of wine INSTEAD (never together). But I can't keep switching drug plans every year because the meds that work for me keep getting dropped from the formularies because "some" people were overdosing with some bad combination of drugs or drugs+alcohol.

I got a notice recently that my muscle relaxer is being dropped (after switching plans last year because the previous plan dropped that drug). My current plan's suggested replacements included 4 NSAIDS (pain meds like Aleve and Ibuprophen that don't relax muscle spasms) and 1 muscle relaxer that is meant for MS and has interactions with a ton of other meds. Even the drug supplier can't seem to come up with appropriate substitutes.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:06 AM

9,017 posts, read 20,437,658 times
I have spent some years in the Health Care industry in both Emergency Medical and Senior Health Care and can honestly say.........it doesn't bother me at all to see my PCP and the meds she has me take. A small mg of blood pressure each day and a cholesterol med once a week. 1500 mg (total) of Metformin 3x daily for diabetes (II) and a med each morning to control my stomach acid.

I've only had one problem dealing with a doctor, and it was a VA ortho surgeon, concerning a rotator cuff surgery. As recommended by this doctor, I done PT, which didn't help at all, so went to another doctor (outside the VA), who recommended surgery and I got it. So far, has worked out fine.

Actually, before meeting my wife, 16 years ago, I wasn't taking any kind of prescription meds or OTC stuff. No vitamin or any kind of vitamin supplements. Today, it's totally different and I'm glad that I do take what I take.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:18 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,808,905 times
Prescribed generic 600mg ibuprofen is cheaper for me than 3 OTC 200mg tablets. Lots of people get prescription NSAIDs due to stomach issues with OTC choices also. I know a few people who have no other "regular" prescription other than NSAIDs.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:21 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,364,515 times
This is not alarming and not news at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement