Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 02:50 PM

10,115 posts, read 19,423,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I took myself off meds for depression. I did it slow and careful, but after multiple times telling the doctor that it wasn't working right and was making other minor things into big one, and been blown off. Pills can help but there's sometimes lots better ways of dealing with things. What I found is psych docs don't really place much importance on the side effects of their pills on your physical health. When I moved I called the local center and asked if I would not take meds if I should register and they said no.

All these people taking especially all these anti depressents will some day figure out that it has a huge cost too.

Nightbird---

What do you mean by "register"? You need to register with someplace if you take psych meds? Is this something new?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 03:02 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,396,492 times
NY gal,
I agree sometimes armchair experts but then I accept everyone has a right to their opinion as long as it does not hurt others as I am sure you will agree.
Have a great day,
kitty 61

Old 11-05-2015, 03:11 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,250,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Just reminds me to have gratitude about my health.
Mom lived to 89, took four meds toward the end, for cholesterol, blood pressure, dementia.
I'm 55 and take none, although the doc wanted to put me on a cholesterol med. Nothing doing.
I'm shocked by the number of people on meds...young and old -- and who just take them without asking any questions about them.

But Big Pharma is pushing drugs for everything from having short eye lashes to other "conditions" that, IMO, I'd never take a drug for.
Sometimes I think the companies are making up conditions and people are just falling for it.

Obviously if a med is lifesaving you take it. But I don't think there's much debate that society in general is "over medicated."
I agree! I get so sick of the "pill commercials" on TV. I'm 48, and have never been on any regular prescription meds. I have great cholesterol and blood pressure. But I've been working out for 25 years, doing cardio, eat the right foods (mostly), and weigh what I should. My younger brother has been overweight and on BP/cholesterol meds for years already. My mom is screwed up on ADD medication (don't think she really has it), anti-depressants, anti-anxiety meds, restless leg... and who knows what else. And she can't think straight, make decisions, and is feeble at age 70.

Obviously there are medications that people need, but as a country, we're WAY OVERMEDICATED. Why not cure what ails you with exercise and diet, when possible?

Old 11-05-2015, 03:18 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,009,248 times
Once drug companies could advertise directly to "the people" instead of letting doctors look into it for their patients drug use increased and each year will increase more. Advertising works. It only gets worse from here, so might as well get used to most of these poor folks on drugs for no reason other than lining the pockets of a few. It is what it is.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:21 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,396,492 times
lady alice,
Truly sorry you had bad experiences and I understand your motives for quitting the meds but I cant leave it alone and condone. Suicide is too deadly to flirt with by stopping meds on your own. It's a silent killer.
From someone who knows,
kitty 61

Old 11-05-2015, 03:23 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,375,345 times
I'm 65 and so far so good. No drugs. But my primary care physician is the ultimate pusher. She wanted to put me on prozac ( because she takes it and loooves it) but I ran it by my cardiologist and he said no. Then her p/a gave me a sample of detrol la but my research told me it can produce long qt waves. You have to police these docs and do your own research. They all tell you the drug is harmless. Another drug listed blindness as a side effect. Blindness!!!

Old 11-05-2015, 03:24 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,250,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bo Pepys View Post
Yes, I believe that. One of my friends takes 11 prescription medicines. There is no doctor on earth who can predict what the adverse effects of that "cocktail" may be. I am 65 and my wife is 61; when we indicate on medical forms that we take no prescription medications whatsoever, the doctors and nurses are bewildered. It's un-American. We are not doing our part to support the health care industry. My wife won't even take over-the-counter medications because this is the mindset she brought from Russia; she has just about converted me, although I will take the occasional Aleve. My best friend's cholesterol was a bit high and the doctor said "We can try diet and exercise first, or I can just start you on the medication." His response: Just start me on the medication. It's insane, but it's the American Way.
Yeah, I can see what the "pill cocktail" has done to my mother. Some quack started her on pills 15 years ago. Now, she is underweight, confused, uses a can and a walker, can't carry a coherent conversation after taking her ADD medication, has terrible dental problems, broke a hip at age 65... she's 70 and acts like she's 95. She honestly shouldn't even be driving, but she does. And she won't allow me to help her get into assisted living, so she's just a disaster waiting to happen. When I've suggested getting her meds re-evaluated, she became angry, loud, incoherent... like a meth addict

Her own mother always said, "If I need pills to stay alive, then it's time for me to go". She just died a couple years ago at 99.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:38 PM

536 posts, read 846,371 times
Kitty 61, re your post #35, you may be confusing me with someone else. I am very grateful to have meds that work well enough to prevent heart surgery. I have been fortunate and have not as yet had complications.

On a different topic but responding to earlier posts: People in their 50s who do not take any medicines have probably taken good care of themselves, but lots of people I have known and loved have died before then, and it was from lack of medications usually, lack of treatment. It wasn't from taking pills. My mother died very prematurely because she could not afford the medicine to control her symptoms.

Let's not criminalize illness. I do agree that Big Pharma needs to stop attempting to directly market new drugs on the TV. Those ads drive me crazy.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:46 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,421,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I have taken antidepressants for many years. I hope I never have to stop using them. They have gotten me over many rough patches. It's a chemistry thing, not just something you decide in your head. The symptoms are real (at least they have been for me). I have had to change pills every now and then. Eventually the one I have taken for years is not working very well anymore, so the doctor gives me another kind. Sometimes it's just what I needed, or not, in which case the doctor suggests another kind and I'll take it and it works.

Depression/anxiety are not made up illnesses. They are real and can ruin one's life if they don't take advantage of medication that helps.
Your case sounds pretty cut and dried. Unfortunately there are so many care providers biased to get people on meds that in less cut and dried cases, the decision is meds instead of alternatives. The other problem is insurance. They would rather pay for meds than therapy, it's been proven.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:50 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,291,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicemore View Post
Kitty 61, re your post #35, you may be confusing me with someone else. I am very grateful to have meds that work well enough to prevent heart surgery. I have been fortunate and have not as yet had complications.

On a different topic but responding to earlier posts: People in their 50s who do not take any medicines have probably taken good care of themselves, but lots of people I have known and loved have died before then, and it was from lack of medications usually, lack of treatment. It wasn't from taking pills. My mother died very prematurely because she could not afford the medicine to control her symptoms.

Let's not criminalize illness. I do agree that Big Pharma needs to stop attempting to directly market new drugs on the TV. Those ads drive me crazy.
I know I am lucky. I am in my 50s and spent over 20 years in the military. We were required to take physicals every year. Dental care was also mandatory. Of course we exercised and watched our weight. I think that really helped. My mild thyroid condition was found when I did gain weight even while exercising etc. So I am thankful for that. I miss the convenience of having a doctor, dentist, clinic, pharmacy, and well equipped gym, within walking distance. The military made it very convenient to take care of yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement