Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 07:02 PM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times

Advertisements

I have always said that I'll have to do as much nothing as long as I feel like it and then I'll know I've turned a corner. But since I'm planning on moving 2,000 miles to a small town when I retire, there will be adjustment all around. Two years and four months to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 07:23 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,983 times
I think it depends on what your immediate plans are after retirement, if any. DH and I retired about two months apart about two and a half years ago and truthfully it's only been this past year that I have felt truly retired. The first year was a blur as we were downsizing and moving then had unexpectanted family issues come up that required time. The family issues are over and we are now settled where we were moving so can exhale. Professionally I've kept my fingers in a little on the professional association level with a minor volunteering. That most likely will disappear eventually too but for now, it's been good to keep that touch there for me. I had expected DH to want to do something in his profession but so far he's been happy to totally leave it behind. I do finally feel like I'm retired, and loving it!

Old 12-22-2015, 07:28 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,389,157 times
It didn't take long at all. I was so glad I didn't have to punch that clock everyday. For the first while I watched TV like 12 hours a day, caught up on the movies I had missed, lazed around because I deserved it, got into visiting friends and family more often.
It was and is still glorious. Now I can spend as much time as I want doing what I like when I like to.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:22 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
It took me about six months and I vegged out for some of that time.

It probably might have gone on for longer, but, I had family obligations to take care of that kind of snapped me out of it.

I think it depends how stressful your job was and your own personality.

I really didn't expect this. For me, it felt like when you have been driving all day long on interstates at high speed and then you stop and feel like you are still moving.

It helps to put a new routine/structure in place imo. But, its great to be able to do whatever you want whenever you want. Enjoy.

If you think you will be stressed or find you are, my advice would be to put a time limit on it at which point you will do something. Take a trip, start a hobby, etc.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:36 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverIslandRetired View Post
It took me 2 seconds 😀

I didn't retire......I escaped. It is wonderful when your time is your own.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:21 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,446,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I retire in a month. I am so accustomed to getting up at 5:30 and getting stressed by traffic and work that it seems hard to believe I won't have to anymore. Now that retirement is near, I notice how people look frazzled on their way to and from work - always in a hurry - and will be so glad to be out of that mindset. Did it take you a while?
8 hours.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:51 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
De-stressing for me started the night before retiring day. 3 beers, steak dinner, recliner chair, remote control... never looked back.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:46 AM

775 posts, read 776,559 times
Two years in January and still counting. I was a social worker and supervisor for 33 years. I keep my license current and do a little part time work.....too little to contribute to my Roth. I have always been a worker, but no more. Love relaxing, traveling, and taking care of my house and animals. I will never de stress completely.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:42 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,843 times
Quote:
Love relaxing, traveling, and taking care of my house and animals.
Although I don't admit it often, I have always loved being domestic. I look forward to getting my house/yard cleaned up, cooking great meals, etc but can't shake the feeling that I should be earning money to have value as a person. I hope that passes.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:58 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
Although I don't admit it often, I have always loved being domestic. I look forward to getting my house/yard cleaned up, cooking great meals, etc but can't shake the feeling that I should be earning money to have value as a person. I hope that passes.
Earning money isn't to give you value as a person. It's what you do to put a roof over your head and food on the table. Once you have earned (and saved/invested) enough to be able to retire, you can put that part of your life aside and just enjoy living.

If you still think you need to earn to prove your value, try thinking of it like this: you have prepaid your value (as well as your future living expenses) because you worked hard for many years and saved and invested to cover your value far into the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement