Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 04:00 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
There are things that could be done if the political will existed. For example the 401k is about the best retirement plan in the country - but most workers do not have access to it. Politicians could pass a law requiring all employers to offer it, and provide a refundable tax credit to cover alleged paperwork. Providing more housing for seniors would help at least a little bit. Perhaps an incentive program for seniors to move into depressed areas, which tend to have cheaper rents.
Thoughtful post and ideas...Britain has affordable council houses for their seniors...doubt many are still working at 79 unless they want to...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 04:12 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
IMHO, most of these people are victims of their own stupidity and foolishness. I noticed that several of them made very foolish large expenditures. A smart Car??? Not a much dumber purchase than that. There are all kinds of videos on Youtube to show people how to live in RV's very cheaply. There are also cheaper ways to live than traveling to 30 states. She could stay in one place with a good job market without having to keep traveling and spending a lot of money on gasoline. Most people's problems are self inflicted, trying to live beyond their means.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:15 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
A society will be judged on how it helped its less unfortunate members. While always an earner with a higher than average income, I never begrudged helping the deserving less fortunate. I always voted my conscious, not my wallet. I wish more would. Make that as political as you care to make it.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:30 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
So we're supposed to let them skate? Are we supposed to support them then? Something like the student debt issue? Just wipe it clean? Have no responsibility for bad choices? Make them as often as we (Or they) choose) because they'll get bailed out?
Not in totality but why are we building schools, airports, and $43 million gas stations in other countries when there are many of our own citizens who are having all types of problems getting by? Shouldn't Americans get better share of our tax dollars.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:42 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
One problem I see is the ease of obtaining credit cards. I get offers quite often to open a credit card for "my convenience." There is no checking into the future customer's real eligibility to responsibly use one.

For example, my recently deceased sister had cerebral palsy and other serious maladies. Her only income was SS and what other government assistance she received. She lived alone, had a child, and when years had passed, child was grown, and she could no longer manage living alone, it was discovered she was in heavy credit card debt. OK, yes it was her fault for not using the card(s) responsibly. But in my opinion, the fault lies more upon the people who issued the card(s). Her debt was extremely high, even some of it had been turned over to a lawyer. Yet another card (or cards) kept letting her charge.

At what point should the banks stop issuing these cards? Why can't they put a more realistic limit on spending? I realize banks aren't babysitters, but it would seem banks would notice if payments are late, if they are only minimal payment, etc.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:51 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
Vicky, I didn't realize the extent of the problems you had. My heart is with you.

Augie, I find many things disturbing about your comments. Okay, I did wonder how she didn't choose teeth over entertainment, but that was her choice. Not yours.

I was laid off at 55. I did not realize we were going into a recession until later,when I couldn't find a job. It was a nightmare & I finally let my house go into foreclosure. I even had to declare bankruptcy.

On top of that, a woman ran a red light and destroyed my car & my back. It was not a good time. But, because of the accident, I couldn't work & a couple years of fighting the system, I was finally declared disabled. I guess that was my luck. Unfortunately I can no longer bend or walk without a cane or walker, but hey, I'm surviving.

Oh, my family supported me after the accident, until I started receiving SSDI.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
There are things that could be done if the political will existed. For example the 401k is about the best retirement plan in the country - but most workers do not have access to it. Politicians could pass a law requiring all employers to offer it, and provide a refundable tax credit to cover alleged paperwork. Providing more housing for seniors would help at least a little bit. Perhaps an incentive program for seniors to move into depressed areas, which tend to have cheaper rents.

As of 2014 80% of workers in the US do have access to a 401K.
And then you have IRA and Roth accounts which aren't tied to employment.

There's nearly $12 trillion dollars invested in retirement plans (401K, IRA, Roth).

http://www.americanbenefitscouncil.o...b-966598903769

Old 01-30-2016, 05:06 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
Someone in an earlier post mentioned that they had used a credit counseling company to help them with their debt and that they paid this company $8 per month.

I recently contacted a similar type company for help with the debt I am carrying and they told me they would charge $50 per month.

I decided if I were to pay them $50 per month, there would not be a lot left over to pay on the part of the debt I would still need to pay after their "help."

Old 01-30-2016, 05:20 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
As of 2014 80% of workers in the US do have access to a 401K.
And then you have IRA and Roth accounts which aren't tied to employment.

There's nearly $12 trillion dollars invested in retirement plans (401K, IRA, Roth).

http://www.americanbenefitscouncil.o...b-966598903769
Those self-serving numbers may be true for full time employees at huge corporations. But for part timers or small business employees the numbers are far gloomier. Many plans also throw up barriers to keep non favored employees out.
http://www.aarp.org/content/dam/aarp...c-security.pdf

Old 01-30-2016, 05:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Those self-serving numbers may be true for full time employees at huge corporations. But for part timers or small business employees the numbers are far gloomier. Many plans also throw up barriers to keep non favored employees out.
http://www.aarp.org/content/dam/aarp...c-security.pdf
P/T usually has no benefits.
That 80% is all full time workers in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement