Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 10:27 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,559,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
This is a brand new community not even under construction yet which allows 10% under 55 owners but also as long as the owners are over 55 there is no problem. We have that in writing. So far it is planned 63 units and only 5 lots are presold so the 10% under 55 would not be a problem.

We currently live in a neighborhood with 100 homes and all of their friends live elsewhere so it's not like they will be leaving lots of close friends. Believe me, this move would be as much for them as for us if not more. We all are working too hard taking care of this house and grounds when we could be spending our time and energy doing more fun things. Also I do not want to die leaving them or their older brother and sister with the incredible headache of getting rid of all the stuff we have accumulated.
We've looked at smaller places but all involve renovating and still yard work. I like the idea of brand new and most of the headaches handled by somebody else.

But I'd still like to hear from those who live in such communities.

Be sure you understand what "under 55" owners means. It usually refers to a spouse or ADULT child of the over 55 owner, not a child who is still considered a "MINOR".

You want to specifically ask about if they allow minors to live in the household - as it is usually limited to short term visits only and not living there on a permanent basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 11:24 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
from the sales consultant:

"You would be considered the 90% 55 and older and you having kids live with you will not affect the age restrictions that we have. We do not have any restrictions for caretakers and they will not affect the percentage rule."

This particular community appeals to us for many reasons. It is surrounded by woods and you practically have to get a papal dispensation to cut down mature trees buffering neighborhoods. Of course tress will have to be removed for construction. I have seen their other communities and they are heavily landscaped as this one will be too.

The homes are flexible enough to give us many of the options we like. We are thinking of one with 2000 sf on main level (2 bedrooms, den, 2 full baths, laundry room, open kitchen, dining and living plus spacious fenced in private courtyard, 2.5 car garage) and a little less than 1000 sf optional upstairs ( bedroom, bath with 2 entrances and huge extra living room, storage) for our girls, extra den and overflow guests - we have 7 kids in all scattered all over the world and I doubt there will ever be a time when we are all under the same roof but it would be nice to have room for a few at a time. This configuration works for us, our many interests and activities and our family.

Frankly I don't foresee any issues with resentful neighbors. Besides most 55+ folks have visiting grandchildren from time to time and people don't expect to live in mausoleums in these places. This is a very affluent, educated, progressive and diverse community. The most negative aspect I see about this particular neighborhood is construction going on for some time but I guess that is the price you pay to live in a brand new area.

I appreciate all the comments and they spurred me to ask more questions for clarity.

Now can we get back to living in 55+ communities in general? If you do do you like it? If you don't would you consider it? What would you look for and what would you miss?

You may never get an answer.... with everyone regurgitating the kid thing over and over. You should have left that part out. Anyone who is "Incensed" with there being kids there should probably have moved to a place with "100% no kids", if there is such a place. I gotta think there is, right?

Sorry I can't help, only 50!

Old 03-15-2016, 11:53 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Just so all understand the 55+ is one of the two exceptions to the prohibition against discrimination in housing based on family status. Normally it is not allowed to discriminate based on age or family status in the FHA. But two exceptions were made for the elderly. This is the common one.

It does not explicitly prohibit children but that is an almost universal regulations in the HOAs. This particular development however sounds quite unusual and may well be permitting children.

Again I would be very concerned about the view of the other occupants. But given the size of the homes and the nature of the development it may well work.

I would also consider the experience in most other age restricted developments as hopelessly inapplicable. This one is so different in size and the nature of the homes and the likely amenities of the community as to simply be the horse of a different color.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:55 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
Anyone who is "Incensed" with there being kids there should probably have moved to a place with "100% no kids", if there is such a place. I gotta think there is, right?

That's what a 55+ community is for. People who are aged 55 and over, who are empty nesters, that choose not to live in a family-oriented neighborhood where there are children. Otherwise, what is the point?

Old 03-15-2016, 01:15 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
You may never get an answer.... with everyone regurgitating the kid thing over and over. You should have left that part out. Anyone who is "Incensed" with there being kids there should probably have moved to a place with "100% no kids", if there is such a place.!
Anyone who has raised teens knows that where there is one teen, there's at least two or three others, day and eve and often overnight. With the OP, there's not one but two teens who can't be in fairness expected to live according to 55+ community rules.

I know the OP just wants feedback on 55+, but she brought the kids into the picture and now it's nearly impossible to stick to her isolated question. Sounds like she's determined to do this and so the comments about how the kids and neighbors will fare seem not to make an impression. There are many CD retirement threads already created that deal with living in 55+ communities.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:41 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
GEESUS...people----- the girls were WITH US IN THE FLESH at every visit, meeting, walk about, introduced as our daughters, talking to the owners of the development, the construction supervisor, the entire sales team. The comment about the caretaker was in response to my question about the possibility of future live-in caretakers.

It amazes me how many here think of 14 year olds who will be 15 if we do this think of them as "young kids". It's not like a pair of tricycle- riding tykes throwing balls in others' yards, screaming wildly with outdoor play or generally wreaking havoc on neighbors. If we had kids like that we wouldn't even consider this.
In any event, I'm out of here.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:27 PM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
That's what a 55+ community is for. People who are aged 55 and over, who are empty nesters, that choose not to live in a family-oriented neighborhood where there are children. Otherwise, what is the point?
Go to one that doesn't have a kid loophole then is all I'm saying...... from what I have read, places can tighten that up pretty good and still follow the laws. Even if the max 20% of the houses had children, its still pretty low compared to say my neighborhood.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:33 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Go to one that doesn't have a kid loophole then is all I'm saying...... from what I have read, places can tighten that up pretty good and still follow the laws. Even if the max 20% of the houses had children, its still pretty low compared to say my neighborhood.

Don't worry, I will be making very sure there are no loopholes so that there will be no kids under 18 allowed.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:48 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
NK: I sense your frustration with the answers.

No, I don't live in a 55+ community but have explored extensively several because of all the planned activities they offer, as well as exercise, trips, groups, etc. For me, the big pools and golf courses were not a draw. The numerous clubs and get togethers was what I was after. As for the people who live there, several have said they wished the other residents were not so OLD. I also sense there is some "I was here first" dissension, among neighbors. I am just a few miles north of one of the hughest communities in AZ..Sun Lakes. I see the golf carts all over the streets and see the people in the grocery stores. You may be ok in a brand new community, where the residents are not so old, and are all moving in at the same time. Ideal situation.

The other thing I dislike is the HOA fees have a way of creeping up frequently, since maintaining such a community takes money. And if your kids don't mind being alone while you are out socializing with others, then so what? But like others have said, sometimes some of those sales people are idiots. I would read the CCRCs (or whatever) before jumping in.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:00 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Sorry, but the mere fact that they were with you when you visited means diddly-squat. Lots of people bring family and friends for feedback when touring real estate or apartments; it doesn't mean they personally plan to live there. Read the bylaws and SPECIFICALLY ask if children/teens are allowed as permanent residents and not just visitors. Get it in writing. Or take your chances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement