Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 09:06 PM

633 posts, read 1,012,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post

Next visit we make is Ponte Vedra in Jacksonville, FL area
We just got back from Jacksonville/St. Aug. Looked at Ponte Vedra Del Webb - not impressed. Very expensive, and pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Sparse and barren. It's attached to Nocatee, a huge master planned community. The drive to any significant, like a nice mall, or downtown Jacksonville, or St. Johns Town Center, is pretty far - like 25-30 minutes. The Realtors will tell you NOOOO its so CLOSE to all kinds of great shopping!!! Not close enough to anything for us. We are looking for an already built out neighborhood, where the roads are finished, building is finished and its been around for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 10:02 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving4Ca View Post
We just got back from Jacksonville/St. Aug. Looked at Ponte Vedra Del Webb - not impressed. Very expensive, and pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Sparse and barren. It's attached to Nocatee, a huge master planned community. The drive to any significant, like a nice mall, or downtown Jacksonville, or St. Johns Town Center, is pretty far - like 25-30 minutes. The Realtors will tell you NOOOO its so CLOSE to all kinds of great shopping!!! Not close enough to anything for us. We are looking for an already built out neighborhood, where the roads are finished, building is finished and its been around for a while.
Thanks! We like Sun City Summerlin (Las Vegas) and Sun City Grand (Phoenix) for finished communities. Summerlin is less expensive and about 15 min to the strip. Grand is really lovely and newer but about 40 min to the city.

Old 07-31-2016, 06:52 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
Quote:
Try Sweetwater, also Del Webb, right smack in the center of Jacksonville just a stone's throw to St. John's Center. Nocatee is out in Nomansland! It's a good place for raising families, not retiring.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:24 PM

550 posts, read 368,767 times
If you like Jacksonville, Fl, look at Westminster Woods on Julington Creek which is in St. John's County. They have a new independent living area that is very nice. It's part of the Florida Westminster Presbyterian community which is highly rated.

Home | Westminster Woods on Julington Creek

Old 07-31-2016, 03:37 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpair View Post
If you like Jacksonville, Fl, look at Westminster Woods on Julington Creek which is in St. John's County. They have a new independent living area that is very nice. It's part of the Florida Westminster Presbyterian community which is highly rated.

Home | Westminster Woods on Julington Creek
That looks waaaay to assisted living to me!

Old 07-31-2016, 04:28 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,346,527 times
Quote:
Location is very very important.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:55 PM

633 posts, read 1,012,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
Try Sweetwater, also Del Webb, right smack in the center of Jacksonville just a stone's throw to St. John's Center. Nocatee is out in Nomansland! It's a good place for raising families, not retiring.
Sweetwater has small homes and I believe they are two story townhouse. Super annoying when you have a bad knee. The entire purpose of a 55+ is so you don't have to move again, isn't that correct?

Old 08-01-2016, 01:29 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
Actually, I'm not happy and trying to figure a way out. I'm in a 351-unit on the Gulf Coast of FL.....it's got various building styles and sections but they're all nearing about 30 years old. That's one thing to check if you go into a community of that age -- how are their reserves situated for roofs, stairs, elevators, pool, roads, etc.? When was the last time the roofs were replaced? In FL they only last 15 years. If there's not enough in the reserves, you have to pay a special assessment. How about other aspects of the aging infrastructure -- have they been maintained, do they need replacement? Elderly residents sometimes balk at replacing amenities because they don't want to spend the money. Our residents are in shock because they are going to get a special assessment for the roofs and some are complaining they're on fixed incomes. Well, so am I! But I've got to come up with the money somehow.

Also, we have a very active community with lots to do for everyone. Except -- I will never again volunteer for the Board. I did it because I knew I could contribute, with my professional background, but it has been h*ll. The Board itself is fine, but the residents, who are of course not thrilled about the roofs, are just taking out all their anger on us, spreading rumors, accusing us of stuff that's totally made-up, oh, also trying to recall some of us when we only have six months to go plus we can't even get people to run, and when they get on, they never stay. Well, now I know why. So my next place, if there is one, I will be the most introverted reserved neighbor they ever met. I can't wait to get out of this witches' cauldron.

So that's my advice to you -- check the age of the infrastructure and the budget situation, and don't get involved! Enjoy your retirement!

Old 08-01-2016, 03:36 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,481,166 times
For us location, location, location is way more important than looks. Ask yourself if you are close enough to AVAILABLE medical needs, shopping needs (like grocery stores that fufill your needs), volunteer opportunities if you are involved with specific organizations, church needs, hobby needs, etc. Will you be driving an hour or more for what you need?

Think ahead to your everyday needs and whether the distance and type of travel (car, walking, golf cart, etc.) is appropriate now and if you lose your license or are ill. Will the house be fine for one of you if the other dies? Or will they be required to uproot themselves.

My husband and I do not want to have to get in a car to get everything. We want good walkability. I need available hobby shopping (don't want online) and husband needs to be near a very well run Habitat for Humanity group. I prefer Trader Joe and Costco shopping and farmers markets during the summer. None of this has anything to do with the look or style of the home.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:26 PM

114 posts, read 334,630 times
Default Try saddlebrooke or wickenburg

The main Saddlebrooke not the ranch section is more scenic and a lot less wind than saddlebrooke ranch.
Wide variety of homes including luxury ones in the Preserve by Robson. Tucson area is cooler than Phoenix valley communities.

Wickenburg is Trilogy community and selling very very fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement