Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 11:34 AM

25,461 posts, read 9,825,519 times

Advertisements

Thanks, guys. Not having a conventional life just kinda freaks me out occasionally. I don't think about it much, and am a pretty optimistic person and am definitely very grateful for what and who I do have, including my DH and many good friends. I think I tend to overthink things sometimes. LOL>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Family is overrated, I think. It's only recently that a few of our cohort (60s+) might have the option of not being too involved with family, if at all. That means being childfree or not.
I have always worried about lacking connections, in life, not in family.
I have just found out that, in the town where I bought my building lot and am starting the retirement house process, the seven lots around me have all sold and everyone is planning to build. (Originally, it had been planned to be condos and before that, one huge lot for a mega-house, but didn't sell). I have a lot of hope that we will be a little neighborhood in the town, the lots are small and it is town density, but separate houses, not condos or townhouses. I hope for neighborly connections in the town anyway, but this is good news. Connections are usually good for most people, and it's nice to have a choice, whether for longevity or just plain good living.
That's very exciting, Brightdoglover. We are building our retirement home in a small community in another state. We've met several of the people who live there already and are looking forward to getting to know them better and getting involved. I wish you the best!

Old 08-23-2016, 12:18 PM

40 posts, read 66,286 times
I'd say be happy, sounds like you have a pretty good life, my hubby and I are some what in the same position, married 54 years, no children, no parents, siblings are all gone, my husband has 1 sister who lives in another state, we never see them, it is very rare, we have filled our life with animals, they give us a reason to arise each day, give us lots of love, companionship. We are very thankful to have someone to wake up with, share some coffee and ask what is on our agenda for the day, even if it is just going to feed store, shopping at Walmart, it fills the day and at night give God thanks for another day.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:03 PM

Absolutely Rivadell!

Old 08-23-2016, 02:40 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,415,676 times
I think a spousal relationship (assuming it is reasonably good) can provide a great deal of what people need in life. I can say that, having never had one, good, bad or indifferent.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:45 PM

757 posts, read 839,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I just read an article that said that older people who have close connections to their families have a longer life span than those who are only closer to their friends. My DH and I have no children, grandchildren or parents. We each have siblings whom we rarely see, although our relationships are fine. We just don't have a lot in common and therefore rarely talk or visit.

I guess it just got me a little down thinking about it. My DH and I are working on moving and making more social connections in our new home. We are still youngish (early 60s) and have hobbies and things we like to do. I was pretty okay with our lives until I read this. What say you?
There are studies that swear that eating saw dust will cause you to live longer. Stop reading such stuff. My wife of 47 years died quite suddenly. Her doc gave her a clean bill of health same day. She was late 60s. Longevity is simply an unknown. You only have the breath in your lungs right now.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:04 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,942,232 times
What about people who have no close ties to either family or friends???

And I am going to live to be 150 no matter what...

Old 08-23-2016, 06:34 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,455,225 times
Family is a "relative" term.

We have no children, thus no grandchildren.....and my spouse has been estranged from his sister and his mother drove her kids away from her long ago.

I have siblings but the closest is 700 miles from us. The rest are all over the world. I have many other friends - none physically close but we talk via email a lot.

We're still a family - the two of us and our 2 year old golden retriever.

And that's just enough. We plan on living for a very long time.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:38 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,190,813 times
Individual situations are always unique.

Why not volunteer with a cause you believe in? You will feel a sense of mission, and probably become friends with like minded people as well.

I wouldn't worry about this, I don't think.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:45 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,842,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I just read an article that said that older people who have close connections to their families have a longer life span than those who are only closer to their friends. My DH and I have no children, grandchildren or parents. We each have siblings whom we rarely see, although our relationships are fine. We just don't have a lot in common and therefore rarely talk or visit.

I guess it just got me a little down thinking about it. My DH and I are working on moving and making more social connections in our new home. We are still youngish (early 60s) and have hobbies and things we like to do. I was pretty okay with our lives until I read this. What say you?

I bet there are plenty of really, really old hermits who (among other things) never read studies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement