Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 07:57 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times

Advertisements

Gee, so that's the secret of longevity. Who knew it would be so easy? So even if our families make our lives a living Hell, all we have to do is make nice with them and we're guaranteed a long life. What a great life that will be. Who writes this garbage anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 07:58 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I just read an article that said that older people who have close connections to their families have a longer life span than those who are only closer to their friends. My DH and I have no children, grandchildren or parents. We each have siblings whom we rarely see, although our relationships are fine. We just don't have a lot in common and therefore rarely talk or visit.

I guess it just got me a little down thinking about it. My DH and I are working on moving and making more social connections in our new home. We are still youngish (early 60s) and have hobbies and things we like to do. I was pretty okay with our lives until I read this. What say you?
Silly...

Old 08-23-2016, 08:29 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
I think you're depressed for no reason. Logically, the info you discovered makes sense. People who are old, and on their own with no one to look after them could easily end up in failing health and die quickly if they have no one to get them to the doctor when they need to. But if you have family close by, they can and often do look after you, you could potentially live longer. Sorry.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:00 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
I just read an article that said that older people who have close connections to their families have a longer life span than those who are only closer to their friends. My DH and I have no children, grandchildren or parents. We each have siblings whom we rarely see, although our relationships are fine. We just don't have a lot in common and therefore rarely talk or visit.

I guess it just got me a little down thinking about it. My DH and I are working on moving and making more social connections in our new home. We are still youngish (early 60s) and have hobbies and things we like to do. I was pretty okay with our lives until I read this. What say you?
I have little in common with one sister but we talk almost daily. Talking about what we are doing lasts about a minute, what we think about different subjects may take an hour. Today we talked about vacations and children, what type, where to go, what can be gained. And the thing is neither of us have children. Yesterday we talked about people our age in different generations, how we are different from the ones born in 1910 and how the ones born in 1980 will be different from us. We need nothing in common for these discussions. We live completely different lifestyles. Wouldn't want the other as a neighbor, but I think we are very close. The beginnings of the conversations get the brother/sister stuff out of the way but its how we are connected. We would always be there for each other if needed and that is a good feeling. We always laugh with each other.

I could never see how having something in common has anything to do with closeness as siblings.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:25 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Statistics. A smart person can prove whatever they want to prove. Meh!

If it's false, that's OK because you did what you could so you had the best life possible. If it's true, you didn't need to waste your time worrying about LTC and you didn't have to suffer through it!

I just enjoy the time I have and when it's done, it's done.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:22 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:

For a man of that age, having a good mistress or two on the side, would boost his spirits more than spending time with relatives. I won't pretend to know what is good for a woman.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:47 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Isn't it just a bit disingenuous to start sucking up to one's previously ignored siblings just to prolong one's life?

Old 08-24-2016, 09:51 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
These factors are likely only correlated, not causal.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:33 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
I find it comforting to know that not everybody has a big happy family.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:25 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
You need to be connected to those who bring you joy, not stress. Period. How you know them, blood or friendship, shouldn't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement