Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 05:50 AM

4,550 posts, read 3,785,317 times

Advertisements

Studies use averages and there will be people that don't fit into that middle. If you know people who don't fit the study's conclusion, it will seem flawed and if you know people that fit the study, that validates it. If you have little family connections you will be less likely to believe this study than those who have family connections. People embrace what makes them feel good or agrees with their life view and situation.

Every study someone cites here brings out the cheerleaders and the detractors; the studies really seem to push buttons and provoke strong responses. They make for interesting views though and are good for getting people engaged in discussions.

To the OP, let go of what you can't change and focus on what you do have. Don't let one study affect you. Keep reading and you most likely will find a study that will present the exact opposite set of statistics that will make you happy.

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-23-2016 at 06:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 06:42 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,466,213 times
I have no idea how the study was done so it could be complete hokum... But seriously - what can you do to change it if you don't have any family either living or close by?

It's only an average and believe me, many families cause far more grief than pleasure. The study doesn't bother me in the slightest. Many, many people have their whole family in other countries, rarely speak, and it doesn't mean a thing.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:28 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,797,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I just read an article that said that older people who have close connections to their families have a longer life span than those who are only closer to their friends. My DH and I have no children, grandchildren or parents. We each have siblings whom we rarely see, although our relationships are fine. We just don't have a lot in common and therefore rarely talk or visit.

I guess it just got me a little down thinking about it. My DH and I are working on moving and making more social connections in our new home. We are still youngish (early 60s) and have hobbies and things we like to do. I was pretty okay with our lives until I read this. What say you?

As for longer life spans, my mother-in-law lived into her late 80's and outlived my father-in-law. My sisters-in-law (one of whom lived across the street from her for many years) took her to all her doctors appointments and had her admitted to an assisted living facility which specialized in dementia and Alzheimer's. While she had what was a long life span, the last 4-5 years she was not 'there', so-to-speak.

My grandmother is 94 and has always lived near or with family. She worked until she was almost 80. I believe her social interactions through work, as well as the friendships she made when she moved to Florida at 80 made a big difference in her mental acuity as well as her mobility. She started using a walker this spring, just after a series of health issues. Prior to that, the last time she was in a hospital was the late 1940's when she gave birth to her last child.

I believe there is much more to this article and lifespan than just proximity to family. Genetics, lifestyle, etc., play a significant factor.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:30 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,839,974 times
I say one size does not fit all and it depends on what your definition of family is. I have no family and I despise John's, actually, so does he.

Does that mean I'm going to die early because of it? I don't think so. I think they would put me in an early grave if I had to be around them. Yeah, kill me now.

I have my own family but not in a conventional way. I have over a dozen kids in my life, some with their own shorties now, and some soon to be grand parents. I still have young ones in my life as well. I have many sisters and brothers that were hand picked and very much treasured.

Family isn't about blood, it's about love. That's the emotion that keeps you connected and engaged and that's the social interaction needed to keep you living. Not some blood line, unless your gene pool is a train wreck like mine. It doesn't matter how many people love you if your gene pool says it's time to go.

Those crazy articles are just junk science. There's way more to it then just having an egg and sperm donor.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:47 AM

18,746 posts, read 33,492,681 times
Family is overrated, I think. It's only recently that a few of our cohort (60s+) might have the option of not being too involved with family, if at all. That means being childfree or not.
I have always worried about lacking connections, in life, not in family.
I have just found out that, in the town where I bought my building lot and am starting the retirement house process, the seven lots around me have all sold and everyone is planning to build. (Originally, it had been planned to be condos and before that, one huge lot for a mega-house, but didn't sell). I have a lot of hope that we will be a little neighborhood in the town, the lots are small and it is town density, but separate houses, not condos or townhouses. I hope for neighborly connections in the town anyway, but this is good news. Connections are usually good for most people, and it's nice to have a choice, whether for longevity or just plain good living.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:48 AM

18,746 posts, read 33,492,681 times
Add: "Family is a genetic blind date."

Old 08-23-2016, 09:30 AM

756 posts, read 838,321 times
Social contacts may make a difference in longevity, but are especially helpful in times of personal trouble like illness or going through an illness with a spouse. Having someone or someones with a listening ear, a potluck meal or just someone to cry with can be comforting when you need it. Not necessarily a related by blood person, but a person you can connect with due to shared experiences or something in common.

A hug from a stranger in a hospital morgue is better than nothing, but a hug and a comforting arm of a familiar face means more don't you think? Work on connections with people. Do it now while you can. Time goes fast...

Old 08-23-2016, 10:15 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,757,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Folks View Post
I don't place a lot of stock in the studies/theories of the so called experts. I believe it has to do with us. One thing growing older has taught me, don't overthink things, take life one day at a time enjoying each one.
And don't take everything to be true.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:20 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,757,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I say one size does not fit all and it depends on what your definition of family is. I have no family and I despise John's, actually, so does he.

Does that mean I'm going to die early because of it? I don't think so. I think they would put me in an early grave if I had to be around them. Yeah, kill me now.

I have my own family but not in a conventional way. I have over a dozen kids in my life, some with their own shorties now, and some soon to be grand parents. I still have young ones in my life as well. I have many sisters and brothers that were hand picked and very much treasured.

Family isn't about blood, it's about love. That's the emotion that keeps you connected and engaged and that's the social interaction needed to keep you living. Not some blood line, unless your gene pool is a train wreck like mine. It doesn't matter how many people love you if your gene pool says it's time to go.

Those crazy articles are just junk science. There's way more to it then just having an egg and sperm donor.
Nicely stated. The love doesn't even have to be for other humans or living things. It could be a love of some field of study, a *reason to keep living.* Which can unite someone with others seeking the same thing.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:33 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,463,538 times
I don't have time to look at the study - if it did not remove the homeless, incarcerated, addicted and mentally ill from the data set, it ain't worth didly in terms of useful info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement