Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 09:36 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/user/HoboTraveler/videos Andy Graham has been traveling non-stop for 18yrs in over 100 countries...many in Latin America...there is a wealth of info. on his YouTube vlogs and web site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 09:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
In my mind, a real American does not expatriate. ...
I actually a great idea would be a pension tax on all pension money flowing to foreign countries.
OK, the USA is free to tax all my Pensions (0) from 46 yrs of paying SS and payroll taxes

They can also tax my USA healthcare Benefit (0)

These 'problems' will not be fixed in my lifetime. I have spent WAY more than my fair share of time in political and government / land use hearings on behalf of elderly neighbors who were too 'worn-out' to contest USA procedures.

If I HAVE to live overseas to enjoy a decent QoL, that will be another time and financial commitment I will need to be prepared to endure. and the 40+ yrs of jobs / economical input I GAVE to USA will be history.

SA has some very decent climates / resources / countries. Not my FIRST choice (which would be the unaffordable USA), but one of my ONLY choices.

Millions of Irish, Scots, and English were forced out too... the USA took them in as immigrants (about 30 million of them). Many had worked their entire life building homes and farms, just as many of us in USA who are now being 'displaced'. (We have it very EZ in comparison, as they are not burning us out and killing us (yet)). 'cept those in USA who are dying due to unavailable / affordable HC (pre-age 65 'early retirees' paramount among them).

SA just makes sense !

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-29-2016 at 10:42 PM..

Old 08-29-2016, 10:20 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Those of us who are not interested in becoming expatriates don't think the law ought to be written in a way that encourages people to leave the country and spend their money overseas. I don't know anywhere in the Constitution it says that you have a right to expatriate.

The Patriot Act was written because some foreigners came to this country and used the U.S. banking system to finance terrorist activities. I sometimes think banking regulations are a bit too tough too. However, I understand the reasoning behind the laws.

If its too expensive to maintain a home abroad and in the United States than people are going to have to pick and choose.

In short, expatriates are not engaged in something that many of us tend to support.
Why should you or anyone for that matter have control over what someone else chooses to do? I've worked most of the last 15 years abroad often with people from other countries that pay no taxes to their country as they are not receiving benefits....last year for example, I worked the entire year abroad and paid $80K in federal income taxes in addition to maxing out the SS taxes paid in and didn't receive any benefit from those taxes myself.....why do you care where I live or what I do?

Old 08-30-2016, 07:10 AM

2,284 posts, read 1,585,059 times
If you do not blend well into other cultures or can grasp their language, forget it. You'll be an easy crime target all the time. OTOH, if you do fit in, then all you have to worry about is just like in the U.S.. crime.
I think overall you will live healthier with less processed food, more walking, less media hype, and genuine people.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:36 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Why should you or anyone for that matter have control over what someone else chooses to do? I've worked most of the last 15 years abroad often with people from other countries that pay no taxes to their country as they are not receiving benefits....last year for example, I worked the entire year abroad and paid $80K in federal income taxes in addition to maxing out the SS taxes paid in and didn't receive any benefit from those taxes myself.....why do you care where I live or what I do?
I don't really care if people want to live abroad. On a personal level though, I don't consider someone who wants to leave this country permanently a real American.

What does occur to me though is that if someone is getting a social security check or pension check and spending it abroad its money that isn't being spent in the United States. Money spent in the United States goes to create jobs and employment opportunities in this country. Therefore, it seems an activity to me that shouldn't be encouraged or subsidized in any way.

I am not saying you are choosing to live in another country for these reasons. However, there are Americans--particularly men--who choose to live in third world countries like the Philippines to exploit the local women. That is something I am completely against. There are also other questionable motives--in my mind--such as wanting to live in a place where you can be waited on hand and foot by servants who will work for extremely low wages.

If money is an issue, there are plenty of cheap places to live in the USA.

I just can't support something that I believe isn't a good thing. Its certainly not good for the image of this country.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:28 AM

249 posts, read 267,060 times
Every American's income is taxable by the USA regardless of where that money is earned.

Senior Americans living outside the USA don't use Medicare benefits, some even pay into it for possible future benefits that many never utilize.

Yes, there are those that exploit the poor are out there, but even mentioning it in this discussion is an insult to the many Americans who pay fair wages and serve in other countries helping those vulnerable to exploitation. You must also consider Americans living in these poor countries with lower cost of living create of source of income that without them would not have that income.

Consider some like foreign adventure, you don't.

The bad image for this country (USA) is only in your mind.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:43 AM

813 posts, read 1,133,545 times
To the OP, I think South America is a great choice. I left NYC 13 years ago and have watched the transformation that has taken place in my new home. I get many visitors who are amazed at the lilfestyle I have and want to replicate it for themselves in retirement. My dreams came true and I hope yours do as well.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:55 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Issues:
- Napoleonic law (guilty until proven innocent, vendor has rights over consumer, lack of transparency in legal system, minimal tort rights, etc, etc)
- Land titles can be problematic
- Assets held in country may be outside of reach of living trust or other estate considerations
- Crime rates generally higher than the US
- Political stability questionable in all but a few countries
- Language issues if not completely fluent in Spanish (or in the case of Brazil, Portuguese)
- Although medical care can be cheap, other services may be very lacking
Funny how none of the boosters seem to be able to refute anything I wrote.

Yep, S. America is great, if none of the above issues happen.

In other words, it's gambling.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:06 PM

2,284 posts, read 1,585,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarlin20 View Post
Every American's income is taxable by the USA regardless of where that money is earned.

Senior Americans living outside the USA don't use Medicare benefits, some even pay into it for possible future benefits that many never utilize.

Yes, there are those that exploit the poor are out there, but even mentioning it in this discussion is an insult to the many Americans who pay fair wages and serve in other countries helping those vulnerable to exploitation. You must also consider Americans living in these poor countries with lower cost of living create of source of income that without them would not have that income.

Consider some like foreign adventure, you don't.

The bad image for this country (USA) is only in your mind.
nothing wrong with Americans retiring overseas. Especially if they have relatives or friends already there, have traveled there often, or can adapt. Some people just feel more comfortable in a different culture for many reasons.

Last edited by frankrj; 08-30-2016 at 01:22 PM..

Old 08-30-2016, 02:46 PM

344 posts, read 416,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Funny how none of the boosters seem to be able to refute anything I wrote.

Yep, S. America is great, if none of the above issues happen.

In other words, it's gambling.
I'm sorry Hillbilly I didn't realize you were looking to be refuted! You posted a lot of reasonable points that should be helpful to those researching the topic. In my opinion only something like this should only be done after a lot of research, should be done for a short period of time (maybe a few years provided your health is good, no real estate should be purchased. As far as crime goes the less traveled may not realize (especially in SA) that police and taxi drivers are not to be trusted. Gamble? Maybe. An adventure? Definitely! But no place to be really old and sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement