Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 02:48 PM

813 posts, read 1,133,545 times

Advertisements

Here is a link to a popular website for young expats, which lists the countries by desirability. https://www.internations.org/expat-i...ces-for-expats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 03:21 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
As an expat, if you want your social life to go further than "How much is a kilo of tomatoes" -- you need to interact with other expats.

I don't care how well you know the language -- you just don't know the culture, customs, way of thinking, etc of the natives.

Even for many people who were born and raised in these countries, but move to US later on -- even many of these people often have a hard time re-integrating if they move back home. Often you will find them hang-out with out emigrants that moved back. Their thinking, their values change in US.

So the idea of hanging out with other ex-pats not only is logical, but also necessary for social life.
I don't think this is necessarily true. During working trips to Russia, having learned the language and culture for say 10-15 years, I had perfectly normal interactions with many Russian-speaking people. Now of course these were the kinds of interactions one might have with someone they have only known a few weeks, but that would be the same in a strange area of the US as well.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:41 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post

Finally - this thread and similar have been around for a while. So I'm sure the issue of medical insurance has been mentioned. But it bears re-mentioning once in a while. When my husband was thinking of spending time outside the US - we were pre-Medicare and had medical insurance that covered us outside the US. Once we went on Medicare - we basically had very limited coverage outside the US (lifetime max of $50k under our Medigap policy). And dealing with a foreign insurance company in a foreign country in a language other than English wasn't our cup of tea. Robyn
Also if you are over 70, and sometimes over 60, it becomes nearly impossible to buy local, and cheaper, health insurance.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:54 PM

249 posts, read 266,977 times
I know retired Americans who live in Mexico continue their Medicare coverage and even pay for the supplements. They fly back to the USA for medical visits. When I lived there I paid for repatriation insurance for a few years.

Obviously one can't always plan their medical emergencies, most live within reach of good medical care. Where I lived, English speaking physicians were readily available.

Some move back to the USA when medical care becomes constant. Some low income people praise the low cost of live-in continual care.

I loved living in Mexico and would still have another home there, but my DH is more like dothetwist mentions, he got frustrated with the bureaucracies. It doesn't work if you expect others to operate under your perception of "the right way". Yes, getting the utilities, paying the utilities is an experience. Telmex is the worst. We still own property there so every year I need to get the property tax, concession and trust fees paid. I send money down there for the payment and then need to get the receipt for my records. Wish I could just pay it all online and get a good online receipt. Some things there are slow and strange but it works. I know my life is richer for the experience and love my memories from being there. Still hoping to get my DH to visit Copper Canyon for a week.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
Also if you are over 70, and sometimes over 60, it becomes nearly impossible to buy local, and cheaper, health insurance.
Sounds like USA to me... Especially Under age 65.... not possible to afford. Gotta leave

Old 09-01-2016, 10:04 PM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I don't think this is necessarily true. During working trips to Russia, having learned the language and culture for say 10-15 years, I had perfectly normal interactions with many Russian-speaking people. Now of course these were the kinds of interactions one might have with someone they have only known a few weeks, but that would be the same in a strange area of the US as well.
Most seniors (men) I have met overseas congregate at cheap coffee places, or parks. Many smoke heavily. They play domino, back-gammon, chess, and share stories of their kids, and gossip -- "you remember Sergey Plazhnikov on Dmitriy Vlokovostki Boulevard, the one that lived above the butcher shop?. Da.

Hehehe, he burst his kidney when he was at his son in Germany and had to get back to Rusiya. Germany is not good."

You can't be part of this crew. They will be polite with you for a little bit, but soon enough you will know that you don't belong.

You don't get the jokes, the types of convos, everything... Birds of a feather flock together. It is true.

Old 09-02-2016, 02:50 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Jeez. the more I read stories here in this thread and in the links I'm really starting to have reservations about this. The bureaucracy sounds like it could be a nightmare in a lot of those countries. I get aggravated just dealing with the cable companies here, I'm wondering if the BS factor is worth it or not??
Dealing with a cable company in Lat Am:

Hombre: My cable went out. And my internet.
Obrero: May I have your account number and address?
Hombre: 9160505 - 1313 Calle Triste, Ciudad Malo.
Obrero: We'll send someone out - next Friday.
Hombre: Ay caramba!
Obrero: Lo siento.
Hombre: Could I please be compensated for down time?
Obrero: (hearty laughter ... ) Oh, and one more thing, we will be adding a 5,000 peso repair charge to your next bill.
Hombre: !@#!#!@$!

Last edited by BayAreaHillbilly; 09-02-2016 at 04:14 PM..

Old 09-02-2016, 03:58 PM

813 posts, read 1,133,545 times
Here they are required by law to come within 48 hrs and will credit you for downtime in 24 hr increments.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:39 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
Here is a link to a popular website for young expats, which lists the countries by desirability. https://www.internations.org/expat-i...ces-for-expats.
I wonder why Italy is so low on the list.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:58 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I wonder why Italy is so low on the list.
Taxes?

Expats in Italy hit by new tax rules | The Expat Hub

Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement