Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2016, 09:25 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I am "only" 63 and a political moderate, but I just feel that the world for at least the past 15 years is not something I want to be part of. I cannot think of anything new that has happened in the world since about 1999 that I either enjoy or approve of.

I also cannot think of one single thing that has been invented since 2000 that I either need or use. Microwave ovens and cellphones were introduced in the mid-70's; CDs, personal computers, and e-mail became popular in the early 80's, the Internet was put in general use in 1991, and DVDs became popular in the late 1990's. And as far as social issues, equal opportunity for almost everyone was well on its way by 2000, and people generally had more of a "live and let live" attitude. No direct U.S; involvement in any war lasted for more than a dozen years, and people were not generally afraid of "foreigners" -- or even allowing their children to walk to school by themselves. Traveling by plane was somewhat of a pleasure, not one hassle after another. People also knew that if they worked hard and were honest, they could almost certainly earn a decent living (and very few people had the attitude that they were "entitled" to something they didn't earn, unless they were seriously disabled in some way); and most people who worked all their adult lives knew that they would have a fairly comfortable and secure retirement. Basic and routine medical and dental visits did not cost the equivalent of what, to many people, would be a week's salary; and medical insurance and expenses were not often the second greatest expense -- and often the greatest expense -- of retirees (and sometimes of young families, too). And, perhaps most importantly, people had hope that most of the world's problems could and would eventually be solved.

Now, however, it seems to me that the modern world is just mostly ugly and/or unpleasant; and it just makes me want to isolate myself in my home and become a complete recluse. Does anyone else feel that way?
I have a computer, cameras, TV, etc., but otherwise, I live in the 17th Century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 09:36 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I have a computer, cameras, TV, etc., but otherwise, I live in the 17th Century.
Not me. I live in the 18th century....flintlock rifles, lead balls, tomahawk, beaver traps, birch bark canoes.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:15 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
As I see it for my life at 78 another material thing being invented isn't going to do a bloody positive thing for me. Curing arthritis would be great.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
As I see it for my life at 78 another material thing being invented isn't going to do a bloody positive thing for me. Curing arthritis would be great.
Have you tried glucosamine and MSM? Forget chondroitin, as only about 5% of it is broken down in the digestive system and assimilated as glucosamine and is a waste of money. The glucosamine hydrochloride sold by Schiff seems to work better than the glucosamine sulfate sold by most other companies.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:15 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,922,321 times
Y'all are crazy :-)

The older I get, the more I need other people - friends, family, doctor, dentist, grocer, butcher, baker, and candlestick maker (whatever that is). I am perfectly happy living in the middle of the city as long as I can get out of the city when I want.

Old 09-04-2016, 03:45 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,580,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Your diet must be a real treat.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:54 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,390,759 times
Quote:
I am "only" 63 and a political moderate, but I just feel that the world for at least the past 15 years is not something I want to be part of. I cannot think of anything new that has happened in the world since about 1999 that I either enjoy or approve of.

Now, however, it seems to me that the modern world is just mostly ugly and/or unpleasant; and it just makes me want to isolate myself in my home and become a complete recluse. Does anyone else feel that way?
No, I don't feel that way. I am almost 59 and mostly fascinated by modern advances. I have always said my mother in law was the best example and inspiration of how I did not want to be when I grow up. She was a bitter person who only thought life was good in the Old World.

Siri, Apple TV, Amazon, Zappos, Nordstrom online, Boden online, Google, my iPhone, my iPad, my Mac--to name a few <---all since 1999.
I approve.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Your diet must be a real treat.
For me, probably not for you. I forgot to add bicycles-----they didn't have them in the 17th Century.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:31 AM

863 posts, read 796,077 times
I think most are missing the OP's intent. They pointed out that most "modern" conveniences were around before 2000. The built in obsolescence is another issue. I believe what they were really referring to was how much society and our interactions have changed. Yes, we have made great advances/strides. But the political discourse has brought out the worst in us, not the best.

When your fellow citizens believe that the best choices are a known liar and a con man, and both don't care about anyone but themselves and how the Presidency will benefit them, we are in trouble as a society.

At least that's what I think the OP was trying to say.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:38 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,953,490 times
Quote:

I also cannot think of one single thing that has been invented since 2000 that I either need or use. Microwave ovens and cellphones were introduced in the mid-70's; CDs, personal computers, and e-mail became popular in the early 80's, the Internet was put in general use in 1991, and DVDs became popular in the late 1990's. And as far as social issues, equal opportunity for almost everyone was well on its way by 2000, and people generally had more of a "live and let live" attitude. No direct U.S; involvement in any war lasted for more than a dozen years, and people were not generally afraid of "foreigners" -- or even allowing their children to walk to school by themselves. Traveling by plane was somewhat of a pleasure, not one hassle after another. People also knew that if they worked hard and were honest, they could almost certainly earn a decent living (and very few people had the attitude that they were "entitled" to something they didn't earn, unless they were seriously disabled in some way); and most people who worked all their adult lives knew that they would have a fairly comfortable and secure retirement. Basic and routine medical and dental visits did not cost the equivalent of what, to many people, would be a week's salary; and medical insurance and expenses were not often the second greatest expense -- and often the greatest expense -- of retirees (and sometimes of young families, too). And, perhaps most importantly, people had hope that most of the world's problems could and would eventually be solved.

I know exactly what you mean. I avoid most of the news these days because our whole public discourse seems so stupid. The same is true for social media. The overall tone of our public course is so hateful and nasty. I wonder how much longer we can continue on this same path without a blowup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement