Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 07:02 AM

82 posts, read 80,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I am "only" 63 and a political moderate, but I just feel that the world for at least the past 15 years is not something I want to be part of. I cannot think of anything new that has happened in the world since about 1999 that I either enjoy or approve of.

I also cannot think of one single thing that has been invented since 2000 that I either need or use. Microwave ovens and cellphones were introduced in the mid-70's; CDs, personal computers, and e-mail became popular in the early 80's, the Internet was put in general use in 1991, and DVDs became popular in the late 1990's. And as far as social issues, equal opportunity for almost everyone was well on its way by 2000, and people generally had more of a "live and let live" attitude. No direct U.S; involvement in any war lasted for more than a dozen years, and people were not generally afraid of "foreigners" -- or even allowing their children to walk to school by themselves. Traveling by plane was somewhat of a pleasure, not one hassle after another. People also knew that if they worked hard and were honest, they could almost certainly earn a decent living (and very few people had the attitude that they were "entitled" to something they didn't earn, unless they were seriously disabled in some way); and most people who worked all their adult lives knew that they would have a fairly comfortable and secure retirement. Basic and routine medical and dental visits did not cost the equivalent of what, to many people, would be a week's salary; and medical insurance and expenses were not often the second greatest expense -- and often the greatest expense -- of retirees (and sometimes of young families, too). And, perhaps most importantly, people had hope that most of the world's problems could and would eventually be solved.

Now, however, it seems to me that the modern world is just mostly ugly and/or unpleasant; and it just makes me want to isolate myself in my home and become a complete recluse. Does anyone else feel that way?
I have to agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Who knows - cure for cancer might happen in 2017 - why stick around in the 1990s!
I would be very surprised if that happened because cancer is a BIG money maker and if there were a cure a lot of people would be out of work and Big Pharm would lose a lot of money.
I happen to know a couple of people that were cured of cancer (YES cured) using natural remedies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 07:07 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
Completely agree!

I did a quick search for 21st century advances and found many great breakthroughs and inventions in the last 15 years

1. 21st Century Technology Advances

25 Most Intriguing Inventions Of The 21st Century

Next: Everything Goes Online - Top 10 Most Influential Tech Advances Of The Decade | PCMag.com

Best Inventions of the 21st Century: Read Our List of the Top 10

2. 21st Century Medical advances

Top 10 Medical Breakthroughs Of The 21st Century

The 5 Most Amazing Advances in 21st-Century Medicine | Top5.com

10 medical advances in the last 10 years - CNN.com

3. 21st Century Life Quality

https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard.../#.V8h9IZgrKCg

New NASA Images Highlight U.S. Air Quality Improvement.

Car gas mileages have been steadily improved. Automatic transmission can be as good or with better gas mileage than manual transmission. Solar panels are everywhere. People are also much more health conscious. You don't have to put up with smoking in restaurants, offices. One does not have to search for a specialty market for organic foods. Chain and fast food restaurants now offer healthy menu choices etc.

I also think that tremendous progresses have been made in the last 10-15 years with respect to equality and equal rights.

We have a black president who was elected twice, a female VP candidade and a 1st Mormon presidential candidate from the Republican party. I think it is historical that we now have the first female US presidential candidate. There are also many female world leaders and CEOs of major corporations. I agree with jrkliny that "Gays and people who are different have been gaining respect and rights that never existed in the past".

Do I feel like completely retreating from the 21st century? No way Jose!

We have a black president who was elected twice, a female VP candidade and a 1st Mormon presidential candidate from the Republican party

Who cares about the skin color or gender. I care about finding honest, competent leaders. Obama and Hillary have proven to be neither. You mentioned Romney and I believe he could have been a good president given the chance. but when he had BHO on the ropes in 2012 and needed only to keep the pressure on him, he let up, and he lost the election.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:24 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Don't forget there is a whole research industry of people getting grants and producing publications about climate change. There is not much funding or support for those whose findings do not support climate change. I don't know how much our climate is changing and how much of the changes are related to airborne pollutants and carbon dioxide, but as a scientist I am skeptical about many of the findings. And, yes, I also remember the predictions that we were about to enter a new ice age.

And then we have the politicians entering the already dirty waters. Obama is trying to establish some sort of legacy aside from Obamacare and not much else after 8 years in office. He is trying to establish himself as a prophet for the climate change issue. I wonder if he really understands how little he understands. Does this match Bush being mislead about the weapons of mass destruction?
Sorry but this conversation is over. The science is in. Only in the US (and to a lesser degree Australia) where politics is involved is there any discussion about the general theory (only further model refinements and data collection) and it makes us look foolish to the rest of the world. Irregardless of the climate change argument, if you understand how science works (and you state you are a scientist) then you would realize your statements are ill-informed. If a single researcher doing real research can prove a theory wrong the theory is wrong. Scientists don't spend a lot of time building models and doing experiments to show that others ideas are right. They do do everything they can to prove that a theory is wrong. So far none have been able to scientifically prove climate change is wrong. And the data continues to show that things are getting out of control.

Regarding the return of the ice age, that hypothesis and the resulting theory was disproven and, like other theories such as Fleischmann–Pons’s Nuclear Fusion, Einstein’s Static (or Stationary) Universe, or Spontaneous (or Equivocal) Generation. When a theory is wrong it is cast aside.

Not sure what your area of 'science but if not publicly funded you may not understand how funding works either. If you think they just hand out money for scientific research in any area, given all the competition, you need to do some reading about the process.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
[QUOTENow, however, it seems to me that the modern world is just mostly ugly and/or unpleasant; and it just makes me want to isolate myself in my home and become a complete recluse. Does anyone else feel that way?
Quote:
Dude: Turn off Fox News. Go outside and smell the roses. Go volunteer.
Partly correct. It should actually be "Dude: turn off ALL NEWS except weather". None of it is designed to make one's day a happy one that's a fact.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:49 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Sorry but this conversation is over. The science is in. Only in the US (and to a lesser degree Australia) where politics is involved is there any discussion about the general theory (only further model refinements and data collection) and it makes us look foolish to the rest of the world. Irregardless of the climate change argument, if you understand how science works (and you state you are a scientist) then you would realize your statements are ill-informed. If a single researcher doing real research can prove a theory wrong the theory is wrong. Scientists don't spend a lot of time building models and doing experiments to show that others ideas are right. They do do everything they can to prove that a theory is wrong. So far none have been able to scientifically prove climate change is wrong. And the data continues to show that things are getting out of control.

Regarding the return of the ice age, that hypothesis and the resulting theory was disproven and, like other theories such as Fleischmann–Pons’s Nuclear Fusion, Einstein’s Static (or Stationary) Universe, or Spontaneous (or Equivocal) Generation. When a theory is wrong it is cast aside.

Not sure what your area of 'science but if not publicly funded you may not understand how funding works either. If you think they just hand out money for scientific research in any area, given all the competition, you need to do some reading about the process.
In YOUR opinion. That and $2.50 will by a cup of coffee...

Old 09-02-2016, 09:02 AM

29 posts, read 28,843 times
With technical advancements other things has grown. just to name a few road research, space, medical, communication, Next generations will get it's own share of inventions.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:10 AM

915 posts, read 1,625,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
OP: I couldn't agree more, and I certainly plan to incorporate that attitude into my retirement plans. Its almost like the whole world has gone stark raving nuts since 2000.
I must stop applauding you. They won't let me give you a "rep" and while I feel I "spread the wealth", apparently the powers that be do not. BUt totally agree with you. Stark raving mad. 365 days a year of opposite day...............................366 every leap year.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:16 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
I can't say I believe that any of our more recent developments are "progress" and are improvements on the past so, yeah, I can't keep up and don't want to! You're not alone.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:42 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,082,385 times
If you seek unhappiness it will find you in spades. Happiness is harder to find, but the rewards far greater. I do not worry about that which I Have no control over. It is a fools errand. I do think that the human race is exactly what it was presented as in "The Day the Earth Stood Still". A plague on the planet. In the movies, the human race is given a second chance. In reality, the chance for a second chance will pass before anyone realizes that it is too late. I weep for the planet, but there is not much that can be done as long as the powers in charge base everything on short sighted greed instead of long term future. I vote and contribute accordingly but do not worry. It helps naught.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:44 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
In YOUR opinion. That and $2.50 will by a cup of coffee...
I'm fine with that given science, unlike policy or politics, is not an opinion.

And I also find it very hard to believe you really are a 'scientist' given your response, since you should know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement