Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 03:01 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,433,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh Please, cure for cancer. "They" don't want to cure cancer or any disease for that matter. Too much $$$ in sickness and poor health. What would they all do for work if we really cured.
I love these dingbat theories.. The fact is the people who are working to cure cancer and the people who make money producing drugs are two separate sets of people with two very separate agendas.

Last edited by stan4; 09-01-2016 at 03:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 03:17 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,253,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Well, I'm 78 and I'm not wild about the out of control technology world. I can see my grandkids having arthritis in their fingers at a young age.

Personally, I never bought a cell phone, would not own a microwave OVEN and the ipad, forget it. I didn't buy a desktop until 2005 at age 67...

I'm into holistic health and work to stay off MOST pharma drugs and their surgeries as possible.

Due to advancing OA and a messed up hip replacement, I'm home a lot.

I cannot change the world, but can change ME.

Oh, I can't imagine going near an airport and I travelled a lot in my 40 yrs of working.

If you're home a lot, you should get an iPad or something to connect you to the real world.

SS

Old 09-01-2016, 03:47 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,791,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I enjoy new technology and it's generally made the world better.

IMO, technology isn't the problem, and is one of the bright spots.

Politics is a mess. Terrorism is a huge issue.
Contrary to what my boss kept telling me when I worked for Hitachi, he said it would be a MORE service oriented world...with all the new technology. Lots of MONEY was made in the early years in Silicon Valley, he was no exception. All that new money with tech still happening.

We have so so many out of work due to technology and robots etc. And service forget it. I'd have to live in NJ to get my gasoline pumped in my auto.

And calling for service with a company, forget it, no person answers the phones....all automation. It's a rare thing to get a person talk to you. The current DC/DO office I go to still answers the phone by a young employed person.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:49 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,791,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
If you're home a lot, you should get an iPad or something to connect you to the real world.

SS
I am connected ENOUGH with my desktop. And I'm an afternoon talk radio and PBS radio person. I get plenty of news. Tons of stuff on CD and I've gone to other areas, but lots of crap too. Thanks.

And people wonder why they are so in debt, every new change, a new iphone or app or or.

I'm sure if I were YOUNG, I'd be caught up in it. That's all the YOUNG people know. Being OLDER, we've seen it all from many being born after the great depression to today.

Balance and finding what is comfortable for YOU. I travelled a lot in my 40 yrs of working and have no desire even if my body could. Glad I'm walking upright and working to do no more joint surgery. Hope I Win.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-01-2016 at 03:57 PM..

Old 09-01-2016, 04:17 PM

19,842 posts, read 9,407,961 times
Jaminhealth wrote (in part): "[W]e have so so many out of work due to technology, robots etc. And service forget it. Calling for service with a company, forget it. And people wonder why they are so in debt, every new change, a new iphone or app. I'm sure if I were YOUNG, I'd be caught up in it. That's all the YOUNG people know. Being OLDER, we've seen it all."

Yep. Although I am not one to criticize young people in general -- I generally like young people very much -- it seems that all the new technology is definitely having a bad effect on them. It seems as though "face to face" conversation in which actual talking occurs is becoming something of a lost art. (And don't even get me started on all the "sexting", complete with nudity! What are the people who do this thinking?!! Or maybe that just proves that I really am a curmudgeon.)

(And, btw, thanks, everyone, for contributing to what is, to me, a very good discussion!)

Old 09-01-2016, 05:26 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,944,810 times
I am only 58 and there are many times I lament about my childhood and the years after and think our world has just gone to crap....

We have so many new technologies but even less human nature....

AND while technology has improved it also seems to have more and more problems.....

And our ideas of things - entertainment, politics, relationships, what is right or wrong - seems to be so out of whack (at least in America) that humanity seems to keep going down the toilet more and more each day....

Old 09-01-2016, 05:46 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,292,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
I am only 58 and there are many times I lament about my childhood and the years after and think our world has just gone to crap....

We have so many new technologies but even less human nature....

AND while technology has improved it also seems to have more and more problems.....

And our ideas of things - entertainment, politics, relationships, what is right or wrong - seems to be so out of whack (at least in America) that humanity seems to keep going down the toilet more and more each day....
No!!!!! The good is all around you also.

I live in a very small town. I tried the volunteering thing, but since I am retired military, I never agreed with how things were done. So I would just donate money.

But then I kept hearing about things people need and how they don't know how to get help or miss out on an opportunity, so I started a Facebook page for our town.

We've already had some success with clothes and food drives. Fund raisers for medical bills and funerals. Things like that. Oh, and lost pets!

For some reason I have this knack of hearing everything that goes on around me. I'm not eavesdropping - I just can't block things out like some people. And since I always have my phone with me, I can update my page with new information.

no gossip, just helpful info.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:40 PM

45 posts, read 62,106 times
I'm 63 and was born to older parents. I remember in the 1950's, as a little girl, hearing old folks carry on endlessly about how the world was going to hell in a hand basket. I vowed to never be that way. I'm trying to stick to that and find the good as much as I can. It was such a downer to listen to as a youngster.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:52 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,387,820 times
I'm also in agreement with the OP. The technology advances focus on allowing people to bury their noses in their personal devices and order junk online. God forbid you should miss a phone call or text message even though you talk to that person several times a day. Job productivity may have increased with email, internet, etc. but at a cost to the overwhelmed worker. And your employer can now contact you anytime - it used to me that weekends and vacations were off limits. No more. Medical advances are aimed at prolonging life which is already becoming too long without necessarily improving the quality of life. No one needs to live to 100. Equal rights have advanced but the ADA accommodations have often gone to the extreme and interfere with the rights of others (e.g., growing number of emotional support animals on planes, in small apartments, etc.). And agree with SoCal that the whole popular culture, entertainment, relationships thing is very disturbing. I have about 25 years left on this planet and hope to be gone before society implodes.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:03 PM

4,491 posts, read 3,938,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose T View Post
I'm 63 and was born to older parents. I remember in the 1950's, as a little girl, hearing old folks carry on endlessly about how the world was going to hell in a hand basket. I vowed to never be that way. I'm trying to stick to that and find the good as much as I can. It was such a downer to listen to as a youngster.
Ha Ha. I'm 64 and every once in a while I catch myself about to say the same thing. The way I look at it, life is a smorgasbord, including technology. I don't "tweet" and I'm not on Facebook, but I love being able to Facetime my son in San Diego or order stuff on Amazon and have it arrive the next day. Whoever dreamed of stuff like that? It's all good, just take what you like and leave the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement