Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 06:53 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

Yes , they are based on population density, what the area demographics require as well as want in the area and most important what the resources in the area can support.

With our local zoning board parking availability in the area is a big consideration as to what they allow as far as density on a block. With high rise condo's ,co-ops and rentals parking is a major issue

Old 10-04-2016, 06:54 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I look to the Federal Government for my role model for retirement! And how much money has our Federal Government set aside for retirement some day?

??? ??? The Federal Government compensates its employees well, based on the pay scales and pensions I have seen. Aren't something like five of the six richest counties in the DC area? Millions of private sector employees can only wish they were compensated as well.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Only difference is the gov't won't be living under a bridge.

You never know. Government spends like there is no tomorrow, and kicks the debt can down the road. IOW, government's solution to its debt problem is to cross that bridge when we get to it.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:00 AM

Odds are that can will go a lot farther than my lifetime and yours

Old 10-04-2016, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Yes , they are based on population density, what the area demographics require as well as want in the area and most important what the resources in the area can support.

With our local zoning board parking availability in the area is a big consideration as to what they allow as far as density on a block. With high rise condo's ,co-ops and rentals parking is a major issue

So people without cars have to pay rents which are inflated by government because other people have cars?

In my outer borough experience, I never experienced issues regarding parking availability.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:20 AM

No , they simply will not allow more building than avalqble parking. If you don' t own a car you save money since most buildings charge for parking . But the zoning board does try to plan for the fact many won't pay or get a spot in the building.

That is a good function of the zoning board

Old 10-04-2016, 09:39 AM

633 posts, read 581,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I hate the whole "you'll need to replace x percent of income" since there is so much variance in expenses versus income, especially as people transition to retirement where maybe different housing costs, empty nest, etc.

Plan based on anticipated retirement expenses, not on current income.
I only spend around half my income so why do I need 80% of it in retirement.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:43 AM

633 posts, read 581,734 times
Quote:
Minimum house sizes are to prevent nice areas from turning in to shanty towns and ruining the neighborhood. They keep those who can't afford to meet the standards out. That is just what should happen.

When we had the house in pa the min was 2000 sq ft. No one wanted a bungalow next door or mobile home.
What does home size have to do with income? I make several hundred thousand a year income yet live in a 1,400 square foot house. And what is wrong with bungalows, they are cute. Tiny houses are in.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:52 AM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
So people without cars have to pay rents which are inflated by government because other people have cars?

In my outer borough experience, I never experienced issues regarding parking availability.

Say what??? Are we talking outer boroughs of NYC?

Old 10-04-2016, 10:06 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,879 times
Quote:
perhaps the poor should not be retiring and part of a retirement discussion . it really does not apply to them unless they can afford it . i am a driver but that does not mean i go to rolls royce forums and complain how i can't afford to own one. not having to work is a privilege reserved for those who achieved that level .
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Yeah..*bleep* the poor..let them die in harness

How very----Republican...of you.
This country has tremendous amount of freedom but with that comes tremendous amount of responsibility.

Jak's point is sound. Those that tucked money aside over the years generally have an opportunity to retire.

Those that squandered money over the years and then complain they have no money to retire will fall on deaf ears. Exceptions naturally apply and there are programs available but there is no room to complain that saving for retirement was not available for most.

People that made their own sacrifices early and saved don't want to be punished in retirement for having money, nor even feel guilty about it. They earned it and they saved it for this specific purpose.

And I don't know what Republicans have to do with it. Are you saying the Democrat way is to spend everything you have because someone will pay for your retirement later? I don't follow politics that closely, I have always just tried to take care of my family's issues first and share what's left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement