Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 06:51 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,334,326 times

Advertisements

You stop, you die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 09:04 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,793,139 times
You could have said the same about my Mother. She worked till she was 70 and only due to an inner ear issue, did she finally retire. 4 years after she retired, there came talk of an operation to fix the issue, I said "Mom, what would you do if it was fixed?"

"Go back to work!" was her reply. She knew no other way of living...

Old 10-16-2016, 09:46 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,339,345 times
A lot of it is pride. People often don't want to acknowledge a physical decline.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:50 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,283,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
A lot of it is pride. People often don't want to acknowledge a physical decline.
I guess so. The one guy with the breathing issues, goes puffs on his machine, goes out, cuts one tiny branch, goes back in puffs, out - cut - etc. I don't blame his wife not wanting to see that.

I'm the same way - I don't want to be a witness to that self abuse. Just let me know when you want me to dial 911!

Old 10-16-2016, 10:13 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,977,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Why? Especially when you don't have to.
Because for now, they still can.

Tell me, are you relishing the idea of being completely helpless? It's fine being waited on hand-and-foot in a luxury hotel but you go back to your real life after that.

In a nursing home, there isn't any real life any more. Most people can't even wipe their own butts.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:13 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,680,678 times
There seems to be two kinds of guys in this category, one is the older jock who still finds some entertainment playing his heart out, literally. The other is the guy who took pride in keeping up with around the home things by working with his hands and now can't stop for fear of admitting a need to slow down. I'm in between them, still puttering around the outside with my wife during our clean-up sprees of back wrenching labor, but we have a guy mowing the lawn and edging, and we use a house cleaner now.

I've seen women in the same boat, recently my neighbor, a seventy five yr old widow, was cutting down a medium sized tree in her front yard, I felt I should offer some help but then again I wouldn't be doing that kind of work on my own anymore, I helped anyway and learned that she is pretty tough, and, terribly independent.

Thinking about that later, I realized the reason we all push ourselves---early childhood admonishments to "do for yourself" became a mantra of among those born in the forties and early fifties. Slowing down, for many equates with their imagined imminent demise, the irony is that their insistence upon pushing themselves is often the reason for early death.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:29 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,352,311 times
Denial. Like guilt, the gift that keeps on giving.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:42 AM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
My current list of "**** I Have to Get Done in the Next Couple Weeks".

Finish painting the house.
General Fall yard work.
Repaint goose decoys.
Beef up the camouflage on the layout blinds.
Cut down a dead tree before it comes down on its own. I will have the male genetic units help with that.
Suck it up and help Mrs. NBP with her Halloween decorating, which includes a slowly expanding string of lights for the house.
Detail her Forester and my F150.

My knees and ankles can only take a couple hours on a ladder anymore so the house painting is taking longer than it should.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:44 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,203,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
You stop, you die.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I guess so. The one guy with the breathing issues, goes puffs on his machine, goes out, cuts one tiny branch, goes back in puffs, out - cut - etc. I don't blame his wife not wanting to see that.

I'm the same way - I don't want to be a witness to that self abuse. Just let me know when you want me to dial 911!
I do wonder if some, perhaps myself included, harbor a dark hope that it will all be over before you dial.

Old 10-16-2016, 11:30 AM

588 posts, read 463,399 times
My father refused to do any work in the home...when he came home from work it was then woman's work at that was that. My mother worked also. We needed the money. I, being female, grew up with the admonition to get a career, clean the house, feed the kids..yada yada yada. I could probably retire now at 61 but I still work because I can't sit still.

At least for me I will probably bring in some sort of paycheck till I can't. Makes me feel useful and still part of the world.

Some people can really just hang out, read a book, watch TV, do a bit of golfing etc. Not me, I am hard wired for that paycheck. Even if it is 10$ a hour.

I think we get hard wired to be useful and believe that we can continue to do this when in reality we shouldn't...at least not so much.

To watch someone we love push themselves past endurance when they get to a certain age is very very painful. Like seeing someone digging their own grave right before our eyes.

I only have the dog and two cats to watch me decline...I divorced by ex since he didn't think he should do anything around the house either. But he made a heck of a lot more money when he wasn't being fired because of his temper...he'll still kill himself eventually just because of an out of control temper which he still thinks is the way to deal with life. I didn't want to watch that anymore either. Still calls me screaming. Like we are still married. Go figure.

TMKSarah

TMKSarah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement