Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 09:58 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
None of these places appeal to me unfortunately.

I am reaching that age where I need to start thinking about these things.

My plan is to look overseas.

The 10 best places to retire with only a Social Security check
The only thing you will gain by looking overseas is the right to brag about living overseas.
And most countries won't accept a broke retiree, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 10:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The only thing you will gain by looking overseas is the right to brag about living overseas.
And most countries won't accept a broke retiree, anyway.
Doubt anyone living overseas (especially on SS) has any intent, desire, need to brag.

And Healthcare (which you WON'T get in USA, pre age 65) supplemental post age 65 will soon be MORE than an overseas comprehensive policy.

It is not at all EZ to live overseas, and most of us would prefer our homeland, just that our homeland is making that impossible.

$25k income will get you into a few countries, some have a lower bar, many require a bundle of investment.

Some of us just must 'stay-on-the-run' avoiding Obamacare fines, and keeping ahead of immigration authorities. Changing countries every 60 - 90 days.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:49 AM

17,343 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I agree.

I am from California. I would have a very difficult time trying to support a family on my pension in California. I had to move elsewhere.

Some people may think that California is okay, but that impression starts with a high-paying job. Which is not something to discuss in a 'retirement' forum.

I third the motion to leave CA and that's exactly what I'm going to do as soon as I turn 62. Bye bye, Jerry Brown!

Old 10-30-2016, 08:19 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
What a bogus article These places are far from inexpensive, and they 'expect' people with only SSA income have their homes paid for?

And all the choices are in USA

Whoa... gen x reporter? / author ?

Definitely 'outta-touch!'
Agreed. Only a couple of these places are in the South, which has proven itself time and time again to be the cheapest area to live in the US. Spokane, Washington? Give me a break. Most of the cheapest cities to live in are in Texas, Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:39 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,131,283 times
Mississippi, Northern Maine, Mexico(or any third world country).

Old 10-30-2016, 09:05 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
If you 'need' urban city life, I honestly have no idea.

I would guess that NM, Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, S.C., and Georgia, might all offer low cost cities. I was in Georgia for a while, but that was rural, so I can not really say for certain about the big cities there. Rural is a lot different from urban.

Here in Maine rural vs urban are complete opposites in terms of COL.

Unfortunately, most of the retirement articles I have seen only want to focus on urban life. So they ignore the remaining 95% of each state.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:02 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,317,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombleywomberly View Post
I don't think they have jug handles in Maine either.
Now that's music to my ears..

Old 10-30-2016, 11:06 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
A lot of times the cheapest places to live in retirement is where you are already located. That is provided you live in a paid for and efficient house. The other plus to staying put is you don't have to get new doctors, find new mechanic etc.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:06 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,317,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Agreed. Only a couple of these places are in the South, which has proven itself time and time again to be the cheapest area to live in the US. Spokane, Washington? Give me a break. Most of the cheapest cities to live in are in Texas, Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee.
Tennessee seems to becoming very popular with retirees from my area of NY. I'd never heard that before. Anytime someone was retiring all they usually talked about was going to Fla.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:39 PM

505 posts, read 716,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
A lot of times the cheapest places to live in retirement is where you are already located. That is provided you live in a paid for and efficient house. The other plus to staying put is you don't have to get new doctors, find new mechanic etc.
I would add to that, I know where all the "good deals"are, where not to go because of high costs, have friends in similar circumstances who will say dog sit at no fee etc(we help each other.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement